CALEDONIAN SLEEPER - Class 67, Class 86, Class 87 and Class 92.

Is it just the light, but to me 67004 and the coaches look to be in completely different shades of blue, despite them supposed to be the same.

Best picture I've been able to find so far for a comparison is this one (we needed the coaches to be the other way round!).  They look like they're different colours, with the coaches being darker:

17032294362_3455c9329d_b.jpgClass 67 Sercos Sleeper by Mark Thornton 29, on Flickr

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

73966 has been seen at Brsuh, Loughborough carrying the Caledonian midnight teal livery............

Searching for linkable pics....

EDIT: There is one on the wnxx news page, but subscriber only. No doubt some will appear on the popular photo sites soon enough.

Cheers,

Mick

Is it just the light, but to me 67004 and the coaches look to be in completely different shades of blue, despite them supposed to be the same.

Don't forget though that there will be a slight colour difference as the Locos are painted, while the coaches are just being covered in full height vinyls for now. Now a colour variation between locos however...

Interesting choice with 67010 Joining the Caley Sleeper fleet - Unless it has now been modified, it wasn't one of the Scottish ones with Brake Modifications but an ex Chiltern one.

Whlist in Harrow last week, I braved an early start and took these at Northwick Park. I missed the Glasgow/Edinburgh but caught the Aberdeen with the tattiest 90 020 I have seen in a while

post-9992-0-94164700-1433400085_thumb.jpg

Yet the dedicated 92 038 followed later that morning light engine

post-9992-0-65294400-1433400087_thumb.jpg

Next morning 92 033 on the Glasgow/Edinburgh

post-9992-0-79017000-1433400089_thumb.jpg

but cleaner 90 037 on the Aberdeen

post-9992-0-13458200-1433400089_thumb.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

Yet the dedicated 92 038 followed later that morning light engine

92038 appears to be a jinx

Although it has only failed twice, each time it operates the sleeper it ends up severely late

However, it seems to continually run light engine behind the sleepers (after events of a few weeks ago)

It has been noted numerous times recently between Crewe - Rugby - Willesden

It would appear that Serco have decided to throw money at this contract in the short term, again after the events of a few weeks ago

The (expected) fines from April 2015 will have pretty much ended up in a small loss

Furthermore, there are in effect three sets of fines for the one incident, whereas all other (anglo-Scottish) TOC only receive two

So rather than impact on the high demand WCML section, and associated fine, a spare loco is now provided

It is still not known what spare loco arrangements will be in place later this year

• RMweb Premium

Don't forget though that there will be a slight colour difference as the Locos are painted, while the coaches are just being covered in full height vinyls for now. Now a colour variation between locos however...

Interesting choice with 67010 Joining the Caley Sleeper fleet - Unless it has now been modified, it wasn't one of the Scottish ones with Brake Modifications but an ex Chiltern one.

IIRC, the brake mods are only the type of brake block used.

Cheers,

Mick

Saw 86 401 at willsden yard in its new livery. It looks like it's had a name change too. I used to pass it every day in its faded NSE livery. I was quite fond of that livery!

Mons Meg. Cue name froth...

• 3 weeks later...

86101 hauled 1S26 north from Crewe this morning after 92032 failed with a tripped VCB http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/G85841/2015/07/13/advanced

Although the 86 was at Crewe already, it was blocked in by an LM unit, hence losing 2 3/4 hours

Photo

19496870099_4e62d66f85_z.jpg

86101 on 1S26 by Alastair Blackwood, on Flickr

And another  here https://mobile.twitter.com/railcamlive/status/620891262942597120

Last night (Saturday) and tonight 66423 (DRS) hauled the Inverness portion north from Carlisle after 67009 refused to play (and presumably back from Inverness too). The 67 was kept in the train and provided ETS.

• 2 weeks later...

The southbound sleeper was hauled by 66710 (GBRf) leading 67004 from Edinburgh last night, before being caped at Milton Keynes as it was running 184 minutes late and there was a fatality at Leighton Buzzard

19921480969_5fae07c178_z.jpg

66710 by AJF 1, on Flickr

The ECS was taken south by 92010 with the other two locos still on the train

• 3 weeks later...

Not gonna happen, only the 87 has a high enough ETS rating for load 16, and stock balancing reasons mean they rarely run with less when bookings are light. There is a spare class 87 transformer available so in theory another loco could be brought up to have an ETS of 95, but it isn't a quick fix. But then again, there is a need for a loco on load 8 with the lowland portion to Edinburgh and ecs back to Polmadie...

86101 has now sucessfully worked enough 16 coach services without blowing its ETS fuse to be accepted as an alternative, although this might change if the load is particularly high during hot or cold weather.

Archived