RMweb

Hornby Merchant Navy announced (formerly Facebook leak)

miles73128

• RMweb Premium

So after all the pics and the debating, plus the fact I am now expanding the layout which means I can now more easily run larger locos, I thought I would try and find a Clan Line to pre-order, not many still available to pre-order it would seem.  Is it my imagination or is the price of of the ones already released at the retailers starting to sneak upwards?  

• RMweb Gold

So after all the pics and the debating, plus the fact I am now expanding the layout which means I can now more easily run larger locos, I thought I would try and find a Clan Line to pre-order, not many still available to pre-order it would seem.  Is it my imagination or is the price of of the ones already released at the retailers starting to sneak upwards?  

Ebay prices are still below boxshifter in some cases. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Er... I wonder how many will actually turn a wheel."Authentic" 1940's layout operation takes a good deal of thought and investment in suitable coaching stock of the period. .For many ,the late 50's and early 60's are the years of choice.

I wondered exactly that when they were first announced. Well, actually, not exactly that - but who has a layout big enough to run a proper-length MN train of any era? We all know that the light pacifics got used in several locations where short trains ran, but the MNs were quite separate and different machines, with very limited bailiwicks. The quality of the model is not in doubt. The rationale for buying them looks a little thin in most cases. 

I wondered exactly that when they were first announced. Well, actually, not exactly that - but who has a layout big enough to run a proper-length MN train of any era? We all know that the light pacifics got used in several locations where short trains ran, but the MNs were quite separate and different machines, with very limited bailiwicks. The quality of the model is not in doubt. The rationale for buying them looks a little thin in most cases. 

You have a rationale for buying your models? ........ so that's where I've been going wrong!

• Like 4

Definitely and not exactly a "sneak"... the TTS "Holland-Afrika" is now listed at 209 quid, on the Hornby web site, sharply higher than it was when I "thought" about pre-ordering less than a week ago.

I KNOW it was under 200 as I would have not even considered it at a price over 200!!!

Edited by Ian Abel

The rational for buying a P2 for my essentially BR layout is even thinner!

Indeed I saw many of the class and also the BB/WC as I spent inordinate amounts of time staring down the 4-track Waterloo to Portsmouth (via Woking) mainline at Weybridge as well as countless hours at Waterloo and Nine Elms in my misspent early years and yoof.

Whilst I don't recall the earliest experiences - dad and mum recount that the ONLY place I was silent, and eventually would fall asleep for the first two years of my life ('49-'50) was if they took me up to Weybridge station to watch the trains. From there it was a natural progressing to hauling myself up there when I could and later to various points on the route.

Sadly, I've only a handful of pictures for all the years I was spotting, and have long ago lost the Ian Allan Combined Volumes that were the living record of my achievement wasted early years. I wasn't "around/noticing them" when these versions of the MN were plying the rails...

We must have been at Weybridge about the same time. I was there around 1950 for 2-3 years, I think. My earliest memories are of a black & silver diesel (10000) coming round the bend from Hersham with the down 'Belle' of shiny Pullmans and of looking across towards the goods shed and seeing a blue locomotive (an 'MN' no doubt) dash past with blood and custard coaches. I had a children's book about trains in which I drew a locomotive in orange crayon. It didn't look like an ordinary kid's drawing of an engine, with a chimney and dome etc, it was long and straight with a slightly sloping front, like a MN but with rather too many wheels! I don't recall green ones - my earliest 'green' memory is Watersmeet, which set the cutting side on fire one afternoon as we watched. (CJL)

• Like 5

Guest Midland Mole

The rational for buying a P2 for my essentially BR layout is even thinner!

How about buying a DRS Class 68 when your layout is 1930s LMS! :D

My rationale for loco buying has always been simple - If I like it, I want it and if I have the money I buy it. :)

Alex

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Of course if I do get a Clan Line, the very first thing I will do is rename and renumber it as I hate running the same out of the box number everyone else has!  35029 is looking favourite at the moment...

Thumbing through the essential Irwell Press 'Book of the Merchant Navy Pacifics' I was wondering, do any of the cast number or Southern plates that adorned the first ones survive anywhere or were they melted down for scrap?

Edited by John M Upton

Of course if I do get a Clan Line, the very first thing I will do is rename and renumber it as I hate running the same out of the box number everyone else has!  35029 is looking favourite at the moment...

Thumbing through the essential Irwell Press 'Book of the Merchant Navy Pacifics' I was wondering, do any of the cast number or Southern plates that adorned the first ones survive anywhere or were they melted down for scrap?

Choose wisely. 35029 is Port Line. She ran in Blue with golden arrows. Now imagine how you would feel if you rename and number only for Hornby to do her like that.

Choose wisely. 35029 is Port Line. She ran in Blue with golden arrows. Now imagine how you would feel if you rename and number only for Hornby to do her like that.

Errr, 35029 is Ellerman Lines. 35027 is Port Line.

Edited by MartinTrucks

• RMweb Gold

My rationale is that when my layout is stocked with a rational mix of models, the prototypes of which could rationally have been seen in each others company, it's a model railway. 

When I introduce a ration of items that don't fit in with that because I want to see particular models in action (as authorised under Rule 1), it becomes a train set. 

Take them off and, hey presto, it's a model railway again.

Simple, and rational :jester:

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 4

First model of the year not to get a lot of flak? Or am I speaking too soon?

Allow me. :crazy: Hornby is clearly going to get all of these sold very quickly and I can see why; in many respects it is a lovely model. The problem of plastic plates is easy to fix. However, and I cheerfully admit this is a foible of mine, the ghastly lump of metal which is the trailing truck is just like that of the Duke of Gloucester and P2 and will make the fitting of flanged wheels impractical. When Hornby fitted plastic ones, at least they could be carved easily. I suppose I might get one of these as it is the only original Merchant Navy likely appear in my lifetime, that is, if I don’t dither too long and find them gone.

I do hope Hornby comes up with something better under the cabs of the Duchesses. Who is the patron saint of railway modellers? I might incinerate my entire supply of winter emergency candles in the cause.

Ellerman Lines ran with a 5100 gallon high sided tender from July 1952--The air smoothed Clan Line model is coupled with a 6000gall. high sided tender.

• RMweb Gold

The latest Hornby magazine states Clan Line release due on the 10th of April and Holland Afrika line in June. Can any trader/dealer confirm this as being correct ?

The the latest I have from Hornby is mid-April for Clan Line and mid-June for Holland Africa, as always this is to be confirmed (usually confirmed by the loco arriving on the doorstep!).  :mosking:

• Like 1

I "added Value" to a couple of these last night.

post-40-0-83745900-1489656626.jpg

Like all recent Hornby tender locos they require a 28mm round speaker  - as opposed to the 20x40 oblong speaker supplied by ESU

The speaker sits underneath the tender weight.   I noted that "Channel Packet" was missing two of the three screws, whereas "Royal Mail" had all three that hold the weight in place.

Cost cutting or poor QC?    

It shouldn't overly affect the locos, but I required an additional pair of screws to ensure the speaker was properly settled.

These will be in the shop and online tomorrow at £269.95

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The the latest I have from Hornby is mid-April for Clan Line and mid-June for Holland Africa, as always this is to be confirmed (usually confirmed by the loco arriving on the doorstep!).  :mosking:

Hatton's are now also confirming the April date having only a few days ago said March 14th. 

"Our latest information from the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us April 2017".

Was very surprised quality of the print on the plates, on first glance I honestly though they were metal. Pictures really don't do them justice (makes the colours look matt). More pictures to follow

post-20663-0-09151000-1489660278_thumb.jpg

Edited by SDJR7F88
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Was very surprised quality of the print on the plates, on first glance I honestly though they were metal. Pictures really don't do them justice (makes the colours look matt). More pictures to follow

Not sure why you are surprised, the nameplates on Hornby's previous rebuilt  Bulleids have always been pretty good.

Edited by Dunsignalling

Mine arrived this morning! I frikken love it! But just before I upload some photos, is the bogie under the cab supposed to be fixed in place or do I need to loosen a screw? At the moment it looks ridiculous going around curves with the bogie swinging on and off the track...

• RMweb Gold

Mine arrived this morning! I frikken love it! But just before I upload some photos, is the bogie under the cab supposed to be fixed in place or do I need to loosen a screw? At the moment it looks ridiculous going around curves with the bogie swinging on and off the track...

It's fixed I'm afraid..

On a lighter note my Channel Packet is due for delivery at lunchtime and Royal Mail arrives tomorrow ;)

Well, here she is on Wartime Sussex, I know they were mainly South Westerly locos but I think she looks at home in the East :) Plus there's a war on so she'll go where she's needed ;) .

I love it!!!! I'm so pleased I preordered when I did, worth every penny!

post-29051-0-48641300-1489664776_thumb.jpg

post-29051-0-11396500-1489664779_thumb.jpg

post-29051-0-25756900-1489664782_thumb.jpg

post-29051-0-79076400-1489664783_thumb.jpg

post-29051-0-76326300-1489664785_thumb.jpg

Just the fixed cab bogie lets it down for me, but I can live with it.

post-29051-0-61023300-1489664787_thumb.jpg

Here she is next to my other latest arrival I acquired last week, she may or may not end up as grimy, I don't know if I could bring myself to do it, perhaps I'll wait till Hornby release a black one :P

post-29051-0-04091400-1489664789_thumb.jpg

video here :) https://twitter.com/GreenGiraffe22/status/842341247486443521

• Like 4