North Cornwall Railway

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

Yes the U1s only lasted one season. At the Wadebridge show a few years back we spoke to an old NCR Fireman who commented that the U1 had the same boiler as an N but had an extra cylinder using steam. The N's boilers weren't huge by any measure (being the largest that could be fitted on the River class tank and be standard for the other Maunsell moguls IIRC) and therefore I think the old fireman had a hell of a job shoveling coal and injecting water for the long uphill sections of the NCR.

• RMweb Premium

Nice!

Like the one of Illfracombe too.

D'oh just hit 'like' instead of 'reply'..anyway, yes; I don't recall seeing a colour shot of the outside of Ilfracombe station from anything like that angle before.

• Like 2

D'oh just hit 'like' instead of 'reply'..anyway, yes; I don't recall seeing a colour shot of the outside of Ilfracombe station from anything like that angle before.

Happy to oblige! And not just the Ilfracombe station external, the external view of Bideford is completely new to me. What a marvellous set of photos that have been "sleeping" somewhere. Top marks for quality, subject, and colour reproduction. The date of 2010 may mislead some chaps, but on this forum we all know differently.

PB

• Like 1

Interesting thread this of my local line.

I have just come across a couple of usual pictures, not sure if there is mention of this in the Irwell Press book "An Illustrated History of the North Cornwall Railway" as I do not have the revised version.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16118167@N04/6405058219/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16118167@N04/6405058679/in/photostream/

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A limited edition wagon produced by Wessex Wagons has been brought to my attention (thanks Rob). It's allegedly a Delabole slate dust liveried Presflo. On paper this is just what I've been after, but......look at the model photo. http://www.users.waitrose.com/~21oldway/images/Old%20Delabole.jpg

Having looked at photos in boos and images on DVDs I'm not totally convinced that the combination of wagon and livery is accurate. They themselves say

"Authentic wagon, but livery based on historic documents."

Yes Delabole used presflo wagons but not in that livery. All the presflo wagons I've seen used for slate dust had the letters painted directly onto the ribbed body not a side hoarding. I'm also slightly dubious as the BR produced wagon carries the instructions Return to Delabole L&SWR! Also the wagon is numbered 71 - I'm fairly sure the Delabole presflo wagons kept their BR running numbers.

I can't help but think that what they have ended up with is an early private owner livery (van or sheeted wagon?) on a BR wagon.

Anybody else have any thoughts? (I'd love to be proved wrong and be able to buy in confidence of it's accuracy)

• Like 1

A limited edition wagon produced by Wessex Wagons has been brought to my attention (thanks Rob). It's allegedly a Delabole slate dust liveried Presflo. On paper this is just what I've been after, but......look at the model photo. http://www.users.wai...%20Delabole.jpg

Having looked at photos in boos and images on DVDs I'm not totally convinced that the combination of wagon and livery is accurate. They themselves say

"Authentic wagon, but livery based on historic documents."

Yes Delabole used presflo wagons but not in that livery. All the presflo wagons I've seen used for slate dust had the letters painted directly onto the ribbed body not a side hoarding. I'm also slightly dubious as the BR produced wagon carries the instructions Return to Delabole L&SWR! Also the wagon is numbered 71 - I'm fairly sure the Delabole presflo wagons kept their BR running numbers.

I can't help but think that what they have ended up with is an early private owner livery (van or sheeted wagon?) on a BR wagon.

Anybody else have any thoughts? (I'd love to be proved wrong and be able to buy in confidence of it's accuracy)

Isn't this the Presflo used for Delabole - labelled as DELAFILA http://PaulBartlett....oslate/e4279117 ?

I wouldn't criticise the use of LSWR too much, BR "Return to" brandings frequently referred to the pre-Grouping names of railways. Very useful when there were two (or more) Companies serving the same town.

Paul Bartlett

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Had a chat to Wessex Wagons during Tonbridge show and handed over copies of the Presflo wagon liveries that I'd found. Got the impression that they knew presflo wagons were used for slate and that they had found a historical document relating to an old livery and then put 2 and 2 together to make 6. Won't be buying the one they have done but a different (and correct) version might be on the cards.....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Class 22s / D63XXs on the NCR

With the release due this year of Dapols Class 22 I thought I'd start recording sightings (albeit from books) of the evil 22s on and around the North Cornwall lines. Feel free to add sightings!

An Illustrated History of the NCR (Irwell Press), revised edition, has two B&W shots:

Pg 206 D6342 at Halwill 21/8/65 - split headcode and small yellow panel

Pg 239 D6348 at Wadebridge 14/7/64 - split headcode and small yellow panel

Steam Trials The Withered Arm (Ian Allan) by M Clemens, has two shots:

Pg 33 D6334 crossing the R Taw near Barnstable 2/9/65 - split headcode and no yellow panel

Pg 62/63 D63XX and D6330 rounding the curve from Padstow into Halwill Spring 1966 - both had split headcode and small yellow panel (Colour image)

The Steaming Sixties Vol 4 - The Withered Arm in Cornwall (Irwell Press) by Peter Coster, has one colour shot:

Pg 2 D6350 at Wadebridge with WR stock bound for Bodmin 17/08/62 - no front view.

Very interesting forum.

D 6340 on page 80 of the Bude Branch by D.J.Wroe

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

New Book for N Cornwall Fans

Xpress Publishing have recently issued book 16 of their "The District Controller's View" range. Happily it covers North Cornwall (Okehampton - Wadebridge - Padstow) as well as activities on:

# The Bude Branch

# Bodmin Rd - Bodmin and Wadebridge

# Launceston to Plymouth

# Bere Alston to Callington

# Yeoford - Tavistock - Plymouth

93 crammed pages at £14.95, a great book for those interested in how these lines operated. ISBN 978-1-901056-43-3.

http://xpresspublish..._AD_low_res.pdf

post-6675-0-35972200-1330529328_thumb.jpg

Edited by 2ManySpams
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Yes, and it does exactly what it says on the cover, too! Note the dates, although it seems unlikely that things changed dramatically over the decade, so any modeller in the crimson/cream era or thereafter should find plenty of detail. These books are good value.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

True. "1950's BR Steam Operating" seems to be a generic title for the series - I also bought Vol 15, which majors on 1952 for East Sussex. About the only thing from the '50s in this volume is the table near the back showing shed allocations for a small number of classes. The majority of data is actually therefore a year later than e.g. the 1960 CWN provided by Glen Woods for your Irwell volume! It does have some Carriage All-Round Workings - although I don't think they are the complete set, and I can't quite fathom when they are for, but presume they are 1961, too.

Don't let us put anyone off, though - this is full of real "stuff" if you want background. It's just that, as Chris points out, not much is from the declared '50s!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

For those who model the NCR in the later period it looks like Hornby are doing a suitable for the NCR without renumbering.

http://www.ehattons.com/51250/Hornby_Model_Railways_R3107_T9_BR_Lined_Late_Crest_30313_Due_into_stock_between_August_2012_September_2012/StockDetail.aspx

30313 - wide cab, 6 wheel tender and late crest.

Good stuff.

• Like 1

But they cancelled the Southern Bulleid back version of a 7xx series T9 that would have been even more perfect. Narrow cab and 8 wheel tender.

Quite right, I had structured my pocket money for plural purchases, and when I read of the cancellation, and of the alleged reason (reason as in logic, or reason as in lame excuse?), my warmth for things Hornby took a dive.

post-489-0-92083200-1340035354.jpg

At the end of WW2, #283 was captured on film with 2-set 54 at Wadebridge. At the same time, 2-set 20 was filmed nearby. T9 283 was not the only Withered Arm regular, and I was looking forward to having a multiple choice working time table.

PB

• Like 1