Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Default stances of negativity

The problem is Pete your definition of interesting and relevant threads will differ from other peoples.

Some threads you are interested in may be considered chaff by others. Does that mean they should go?

The vast majority of non modelling or prototype threads are all bunched together in wheeltappers anyway so are easy to avoid/ignore if you so wish.

You miss my point.

I come into contact with many real modellers, and when the topic of RMWeb comes up , the consensus seems to be, "I cant be bothered, there is some good stuff there but its hidden in the chaff"

Maybe its time to really think about this, but hey, its not my forum.

Pete

Surprised you've not heard that term of taking the bait.  

Sometimes people (my brother for one) will say something deliberately to get a reaction.  That was a fairly radical view of yours and of course you are entitled to it, but before I offered an alternative viewpoint, I just wanted to clarify exactly what you meant.  

It could be read that modelling of anything non prototypical would not be of interest….:-) 

One of the attractions  for me is the 'community' of RMweb.  That is one of it's core strengths.  It is very inclusive and you are bound to find something of interest, no matter what form of railway modelling you undertake.

Edit:  What's a real modeller?…….

The internet gives those who, in the past, had to keep their moans and whinges to themselves (or perhaps to a few mates (if they have any) in a pub), a ready outlet to make their voices heard.

Most of the grumbling is exactly the sort of thing that goes on over a pint at the pub.

The differences on the internet are permanence and a vastly larger group of people.

At the pub, once a grumble gets expressed, the conversation changes and eventually everyone moves on, and they do so here too, it just takes much longer when a larger number of people have their say over a longer period of time, with an echo chamber effect. This magnifies the tedium of comments that for most of the group add little value.

Dissent is not treason.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

An informed opinion is best.

• RMweb Gold

You miss my point.

I come into contact with many real modellers, and when the topic of RMWeb comes up , the consensus seems to be, "I cant be bothered, there is some good stuff there but its hidden in the chaff"

Maybe its time to really think about this, but hey, its not my forum.

Pete

All I would say is the more you put into something the more you get out.

If people can't be bothered to put some effort into finding the quality stuff (and it's not that difficult) then that is their loss.

Some of the best modellers I know (both virtually and in real life) are quite active on the non modelling bits of the forum. IMHO, as ed says this would be a much duller place without some of the 'extras'

• RMweb Premium

I find it rather disturbing that people who have a negative view about something get labelled as "whingers" and "moaners". Why is their opinion any less valid than a positive one? Sure, some of it will be uninformed and erroneous but exactly the same can be true for positive opinions. Ignoring or "dealing with" the bad is what lets it continue.

Surprised you've not heard that term of taking the bait.  

Edit:  What's a real modeller?…….

I didn't say I haven't heard of it, I was merely enquiring as to why you seemed to think I had cast some out there.

A "real modeller" in my book is someone who is not prepared to just accept what is available to him/her, but is willing to adapt, modify, re-design etc to suit a more prototypical representation. Whether it be track, rolling stock or buildings etc. But we all work within our own limitations and boundaries, and kudos to those that "have a go". If you are not capable due to infirmity or other valid reason then do your own thing. It can be interpreted many ways I suppose and at many levels.

Its certainly not someone who says " Damn they have released it as 37123, I wanted 37124"

Pete

It's human nature I'm afraid....

People never write on Internet forums when they have had a nice experience, totally the opposite.

I did refrain from my usual " there's nothing for me this year " after the bachmannn announcements though.

But I'd find it a bit creepy if everything was great and everyone polite all the time.....a bit like the Truman show for models.

• RMweb Premium

It's human nature I'm afraid....

People never write on Internet forums when they have had a nice experience, totally the opposite.

I think that's because when there's something someone doesn't like they want something done about it, and the first step in doing that is to let others know. That's about all they get as far as doing most of the time, but still. That said I do find that when someone has really enjoyed something they want to talk about it and share it, perhaps it's just that it's far easier to upset someone than to please them.

I'm a negative person but I'm sure I can find a post of mine where I've said something positive about an experience. Probably. Well, maybe. I'm fairly sure. If I dig hard enough...

Yeah, ok, I was thinking more things like trains, airlines etc..

I'll admit there are some happy members here.......

Thanks to Pete I also know I am a ' real modeller' as I'm not afraid to Tcut the numbers off a diesel to transform it from 37123 to 37124...

I can feel my mojo rising :)

When I want to avoid the chaff I just look in the 'Kitbuilding and scratchbuilding' section and the other sub-forums where the actual modellingis , instead of pushing the 'view new content' button and getting a vast amount of mostly content free waffle about the latest 4mm scale RTR releases.

I realised that from the moment the 'association' with BRM was announced there would be changes, some which would appeal to me others which wouldn't.

I'm not sure yet whether equilibrium has been achieved or where it might lie in the future, or if indeed changes so far have changed MY opinion of RMWeb, but whilst ever I can 'give and gain' through the forum and maintain my own satisfaction; in my opinion it's worth staying.

There are no globally good changes there are no globally bad changes, just those with which one agrees or those with which one does not. Simples!

A "real modeller" in my book is someone who is not prepared to just accept what is available to him/her, but is willing to adapt, modify, re-design etc to suit a more prototypical representation.

I have a real problem with that definition, and I think many on here would.

For a start it certainly excludes myself and many other rather excellent modellers out there.

It also excludes nearly every novice and starter modeller who usually are introduced to "modelling" by the train-set (whatever that might be). It also implies that someone who buys a RTR model is not a "modeller" Or someone who builds a non-prototype layout, or builds perfect track, makes their own scenery is somehow irrelevant to the site.

I believe Andy (and probably the majority of folk here) would dispute that as the reason for RMWeb.

I don't think there is any such being as a "real modeller" any more than I believe there is such a thing as "fine scale" they are all simply continuums a progress which we all follow at our own pace and ability.

And as for 37's - don't get me started - every one must have heard of my views on them by now - I thought there was a model of everyone ever built and a few that weren't in every guise and livery imagined or real ;) ;) yet still not one with a chimney.

• RMweb Premium

Someone with 100% RTR stuff and someone who scratchbuilds everything are just at different (albeit widely separated) places on the same spectrum. The latter are more advanced modellers and will almost certainly be more skilled modellers but I don't think it's fair to use the word "real".

Someone with 100% RTR stuff and someone who scratchbuilds everything are just at different (albeit widely separated) places on the same spectrum. The latter are more advanced modellers and will almost certainly be more skilled modellers but I don't think it's fair to use the word "real".

Model - Definition:

a three-dimensional representation of a person or thing or of a proposed structure, typically on a smaller scale than the original.

ergo 'a modeller' must be a person who makes 'models' without any quantitative accuracy of the 'representation' required.

The real difficulty comes when some openly criticise others for not achieving (or aspiring to achieve) their own set standrads.

I have a real problem with that definition, and I think many on here would.

For a start it certainly excludes myself and many other rather excellent modellers out there.

It also excludes nearly every novice and starter modeller who usually are introduced to "modelling" by the train-set (whatever that might be). It also implies that someone who buys a RTR model is not a "modeller" Or someone who builds a non-prototype layout, or builds perfect track, makes their own scenery is somehow irrelevant to the site.

I believe Andy (and probably the majority of folk here) would dispute that as the reason for RMWeb.

I don't think there is any such being as a "real modeller" any more than I believe there is such a thing as "fine scale" they are all simply continuums a progress which we all follow at our own pace and ability.

And as for 37's - don't get me started - every one must have heard of my views on them by now - I thought there was a model of everyone ever built and a few that weren't in every guise and livery imagined or real ;) ;) yet still not one with a chimney.

Kenton,

You just inserted an unpleasant and probably thought of as negative fact into this otherwise fine stream of opinions.

You are correct. There is no such thing as "fine scale". Nor "finescale" either.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

I doubt this thread will reach its target audience .....

I know it's not everyone here and I know it's not just people within this hobby but I feel obliged to comment that there's a very wearing level of commentators who seem to adopt a position of negativity on anything that is new, different or not up to their independent and assumed 'standard' - often this perspective is taken whilst they're in a position to know precisely beggar all in terms of facts but they've jumped to their own conclusions and feel that everyone should hear their pronounced judgement. .....

.... and if it does I'd guess it will be ineffective at best.

Is there not a big red button at mission control, which when pressed expunges the wearisome, leaving only a warning message on their internet device about doors, @r$e and the way out.

• RMweb Gold

No dark territory for you then...

But they are 'signalled' (in the USA sense) - it's just that it's done in a different way (just like it is here).  And if we followed Beast's suggestion we could have great big long threads about it using up all the spare bandwidth we got from abolishing all those other things that interest someone else but don't interest us.

Does that sound a big negative?  Hmm, ah well can't win 'em all.

Is there not a big red button at mission control, 

Yup! It should be called the "I'm a martyr, get me out of here" button but I can only read the first and last letters on it... A and E.

Mrs Y has just bought me one of these http://online.findgift.com/gift-ideas/the-ultimate-swearing-punch-bag-pid-73429/#bwhich includes the aforementioned expletive. It was for the car dashboard but it's staying between my right hand and the monitor.

You are correct. There is no such thing as "fine scale". Nor "finescale" either.

Some visitors from a P4 group of modellers asked me what I was modelling in. When I told them '4mm/00' they said that was a fine scale to be modelling in. Cushty...!  

Yup! It should be called the "I'm a martyr, get me out of here" button but I can only read the first and last letters on it... A and E.

Mrs Y has just bought me one of these http://online.findgift.com/gift-ideas/the-ultimate-swearing-punch-bag-pid-73429/#bwhich includes the aforementioned expletive. It was for the car dashboard but it's staying between my right hand and the monitor.

Andy,

Chant my mantra in an earlier post:

For you to insult or offend me, I would first have to actually value your opinion.

NOT aimed at you, you understand?

Hey.

You started (?) a very general forum where all unsubstantiated opinions are as welcome as facts.

Physician, Heal thyself!  :jester:

Andy R

Archived