Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Default stances of negativity

I think it's a victim of its own success.

You put 10 people in my lounge, I might think one is a plonker.

You put 100000 in a stadium , I might think 1000 are....

The larger it gets, the less personal it gets, the more conflict there is.

Does anyone remember the 2008 members day ? I was there....it was like family......you'd have to get a stadium now.

You put 100000 in a stadium , I might think 1000 are....

One plonker is a tragedy; 1000 plonkers is a statistic... (is that Stalin I'm mis-quoting there?)

Having just watched, in dismay I might add, PMQs on tv it is apparent that moaning/ sniping / denigrating others goes right to the top. What a shambles - how the mother of parliaments ever gets anything done is beyond me, concentrating as they do on simply belittling others of a different political persuasion.

It would appear that the malaise outlined in the OP is not unusual......

I'd hate to live in a country where politicians have so little passion about what we've put them there to do that they behave like  a vicarage tea party and agree politely with one another. If politicians all sing off the same song sheet it's pretty certain that someone's stolen all the other songs. 

Of course here we're not engaged in poltics so we can be civil to one another.

ISA's, tax-free allowance, pension contributions, using tradesmen who are below the VAT threshold, driving the right sort of car, buying clothes etc from Oxfam, how many more would you like?

Ed

I don't drink, smoke or drive. That cuts down my tax bill considerably!

• RMweb Premium

I have been likened to an Emperor Penguin

penguin.jpg

But always though that was a reference to my stature and self-importance ;)

(is this topic just about done for yet?)hatre

That's interesting. My Radio 4 imagination brain cell had visualised yourself as a James Bond figure, but withoiut the 'bulge' in the pocket (that is the underarm pocket for those that  are about to snigger........)

Quackers.

Yes, but......there needs to be a preview button that allows you to see the text in as published form before you hit post. 

There is one - if you use the full editor, now labelled "Reply with attachments".

The default formatted view in the quick editor (as opposed to the text only view with tags) is pretty close to what is published.

Your point about proof-reading is entirely valid. I constantly edit my posts to fix grammar and clarity of intent - at least up to the point where some flags are set.

If I make a really substantive change I will flag it with "EDIT" somewhere.

I am not negative, just positively challanged!!

Get two lots of positive imagination together and you'll get a negative. Ask any mathematician.

Two wrongs don't make a right, and two rights don't make a left. But three rights do :derisive:

Andy has levelled a negativity charge.

Apparently we need some cathodic protection for RMweb.  For this we shall need a sacrificial anode. Perhaps we can find people who will be happy to donate their crumbling Zamak/Masak castings for the purpose. I am given to believe that alloys of Zn, Mg and Al are fit for such uses.

Now if we all hold hands and properly ground ourselves, we can shunt the negative charge to earth.

/end laboured pun

The grumbling that goes on (and, I like many, am guilty of my share, though I'd like to think I don't have a default negative stance) is very much in the category of 'first world problems' an observation which I think is always worth remembering, along with trying to be polite.

I will say that I have recently seen people get upset over finding that people simply disagree with them, making accusations like "so we're not allowed to have an opinion" which I find ironic, given that in the act of posting it, it is self-evidently inaccurate.

Gentlemen (and gentlewomen) can always disagree without being disagreeable.

I have three mates,

Thereby disproving the stereotype of model railway enthusiasts.

Just as long as the plonker is not still in your lounge when the other ten have left you are OK.

I can honestly say I have not had cause for any dissatisfaction or negativity with any manufacturer of UK rtr. But then I have only bought one UK rtr loco in the last forty years and that was the cheapest available one with the quickest drop-in wheel conversions for 2mm FS for track testing. ;) I couldn't honestly say what it is apart from that it is some kind of green diesel, unless I were to look on the box. I love it when I go to a big show and I can walk past the crush at the Bachmann and Hornby stands, knowing that whatever their newest releases are they won't have any relevance at all to my own modelling. One of the benefits of modelling obscure prototypes in unpopular eras in minority scales. :D

Archived