Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Default stances of negativity

Those who joined RMweb when it was owned and run by Andy Y joined because it was a 'Railway Modellers' forum. I believe Andy had leapt ahead of the 'rest' by upgrading the forum to allow more images than hitherto. Modelling demands pictures so that others may learn or appreciate or whatever just as in the printed model magazines and members donated when financial assistance was called for. When Warners took RMweb over it was clear the Mods started to slowly melt away. Membership started to grow at a faster pace and one assumes many reader of BRM came to the forum via that magazine. Maybe some of them assumed RMweb was a forum on RTR items, a kind of Facebook-on-Rails and a window on proprietary items. Seeing as Warners has never stated its aims regarding its acquisition, one can only draw conclusions that might be wildly off the mark.

One can easily see the potential for conflict when a forum adopts a new personality. I have drawn the wrath of quite a few new members who saw my remarks about the potential pitfalls of 'design clever' some years ago (but none of my modelling threads) and wanted me moderated and even thrown off the forum for daring to criticise Hornby. I do not believe people should build things just for the sake of it when there are options, but when people flatly refuse to renumber or modify something that irritates in the belief that manufacturers should do it all for them, then I begin to wonder. It is inevitable our inner thoughts will spill onto the screen occasionally!

• RMweb Gold

There is a preview capability, but only in full edit mode ('Reply with attachments') on its own page, not using the quick reply mode ('Reply to this topic') at the bottom of the the topic page.

Thanks, was not aware.

I suspect that when a previously focused forum becomes large enough to encompass (and then continuously present) all points of view, those who prefer particular focused areas peel away and join/start new focused forums back in their own preferred fields.

You can't be a member of everything . . . Not and actually work on your own railway as well.

In a further development, in another thread, it seems to me that some are now using the 'funny' button to express sarcasm as a form of disagreement. What is wrong with some people?

I made a rather angry exit from RMweb for a year or so, after someone Disagreed with a post I made, then changed it to Funny. As I pointed out in response, it was a subject that's very important to me and I've pretty much dedicated my life to, and being pretty stressed at the time, I took great offence and stormed off in disgust! Disagreeing is one thing, but laughing at it is something else. I can't remember where it was now, but may well have been wandering a bit off the topic of model railways, so since returning I haven't looked to see what happened after I'd gone!

Those who joined RMweb when it was owned and run by Andy Y joined because it was a 'Railway Modellers' forum. I believe Andy had leapt ahead of the 'rest' by upgrading the forum to allow more images than hitherto. Modelling demands pictures so that others may learn or appreciate or whatever just as in the printed model magazines and members donated when financial assistance was called for. When Warners took RMweb over it was clear the Mods started to slowly melt away. Membership started to grow at a faster pace and one assumes many reader of BRM came to the forum via that magazine. Maybe some of them assumed RMweb was a forum on RTR items, a kind of Facebook-on-Rails and a window on proprietary items. Seeing as Warners has never stated its aims regarding its acquisition, one can only draw conclusions that might be wildly off the mark.

I think if you go back to the beginning of RMWeb RTR (and the lack of it) has always generated a certain "negative" response. It is probably true that with the growth of membership that "negativity" has increased but I still do not see it as being disproportionate or any Machiavellian scheme by Warner's. Oh sure the nature of the beast has changed and almost certainly they are pulling a few strings, and why not they pay for this facility. I still see most of the regulars posting most of the time, and it still puzzles me where all these new members actually are. The noise created by the regular posters should be being drowned out by all the new members asking questions, and showing us their modelling and layouts. Perhaps then we would be less negative and have more real modelling to talk about.

You can't be a member of everything

Don't need to be ... RMWeb fulfils that role perfectly.

In a further development, in another thread, it seems to me that some are now using the 'funny' button to express sarcasm as a form of disagreement. What is wrong with some people?

Is that not a simple result of there no longer being any "negative" buttons to click? Funny can mean many different things from the slightly amusing; through the downright hilarious; to the slightly peculiar and in extreme positively off (as in that smells funny).

[quote name="Kenton"

Is that not a simple result of there no longer being any "negative" buttons to click? Funny can mean many different things from the slightly amusing; through the downright hilarious; to the slightly peculiar and in extreme positively off (as in that smells funny).

Oh I don't doubt that; but in the context of other posts made by the individual concerned I'm inclined to maintain my current point of view :-)

Oh I don't doubt that; but in the context of other posts made by the individual concerned I'm inclined to maintain my current point of view :-)

I've certainly noticed the same and my observations relate to some individuals proven to function as a cabal. Their intent is clear (to me) and on the basis that they offer no other positive contribution to the community to balance it out I'll just limit their access.

Which thread?

Sorry Talltim I'd rather leave it unidentified if you don't mind as I think further discussion will only serve to promote negativity, which, I suspect, may be the hoped for reaction by the protagonist. :-)

• RMweb Gold

I've certainly noticed the same and my observations relate to some individuals proven to function as a cabal. Their intent is clear (to me) and on the basis that they offer no other positive contribution to the community to balance it out I'll just limit their access.

Ah, so if you show some modelling, you can be as rude as you like....

All white birds are not swans. etc.

I have been likened to an Emperor Penguin

penguin.jpg

But always though that was a reference to my stature and self-importance ;)

(is this topic just about done for yet?)

Archived