The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

3 new toolings all southern might lead to awful amount of flak right now. I'd welcome one for sure but will be the first to admit that there is plenty in the pipe for my budget next year.

That's very true, both Hornby & Bachmann are spoiling me next year. Even buying through Hattons, between the H, H2, Birdcage, SR breakdown crane and whenever Bachmann decide to release their new Southern E4 I'm already looking at £574.65. Still debating a Merchant Navy, my layout is supposed to be somewhere sort of  between Brighton-Eastbourne  and I don't think they were really used in that area... But that's for another thread.

EDIT: having said that, I have the Ex LSWR Maunsell carriages running the Brighton - Eastbourne Route at the moment... I turn a blind eye at the moment but perhaps selling them will help fund at least one more region-appropriate Birdcage carriage. 

Edited by GreenGiraffe22

• RMweb Gold

That's very true, both Hornby & Bachmann are spoiling me next year. Even buying through Hattons, between the H, H2, Birdcages & SR breakdown crane I'm already looking at £574.65. Still debating a Merchant Navy, my layout is supposed to be somewhere sort of  between Brighton-Eastbourne  and I don't think they were really used in that area... But that's for another thread.

I've got a feeling that the MN's did do some turns on that route, possibly even light engine. I may even have some interesting pictures. Most likely copywrited so I will PM you details later when I have time to dig them out.

You know you want it really lol.

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning

I've got a feeling that the MN's did do some turns on that route, possibly even light engine. I may even have some interesting pictures. Most likely copywrited so I will PM you details later when I have time to dig them out.

You know you want it really lol.

Gary

Nooooo don't give me a reason to part with any more money!

Edited by GreenGiraffe22
  • Like 1

Why ?

Hornby have to produce what they think will sell.

That may be Southern or it may be any of the others - "we" don't know.

What we do know is that despite recent releases the Southern is still under-represented and we "know" (???) that the Southern polled highly in the recent wishlist.

All I care is that whatever Hornby produce it sells well, be it Southern or North British, A "Q-class" or the Forth Railway Bridge.

Even Southern modelers need time to recover their budgets - I know as I am one. If they produced 5 new classes, I'd probably buy one from each class instead of 3 to 4 for the two classes proposed.

It means that recovering tool costs for Hornby will take longer (and items which don't get enough orders will be dropped entirely).

If we look at this year, North Eastern modelers had J15, J52, D16, K1 and Q6 in a short space of time. The market was saturated and they could not keep up and many can still be found in the bargain bin. (I wonder if the Gresley specials will sell after the various A4 collections in recent times too).

Likewise Southern does not make 80% of the vote so 80% of the new tooling is probably not wise.

Anyone else spend that whole video watching for some sneak peeks in the background?

Yep. Did see the ends and part sides of 2 unpainted non corridor coaches at 26 and 27 secs, but their outline and window arrangement seems to be Thompson suburban types.

Even Southern modelers need time to recover their budgets - I know as I am one. If they produced 5 new classes, I'd probably buy one from each class instead of 3 to 4 for the two classes proposed.

It means that recovering tool costs for Hornby will take longer (and items which don't get enough orders will be dropped entirely).

If we look at this year, North Eastern modelers had J15, J52, D16, K1 and Q6 in a short space of time. The market was saturated and they could not keep up and many can still be found in the bargain bin. (I wonder if the Gresley specials will sell after the various A4 collections in recent times too).

Likewise Southern does not make 80% of the vote so 80% of the new tooling is probably not wise.

I would classify that better:

Great Eastern had J15, D16, K1,

Great Northern had J52, K1.

North Eastern had Q6, and K1?

Not quite saturation for any of the groups?

Stewart

I would classify that better:

Great Eastern had J15, D16, K1,

Great Northern had J52, K1.

North Eastern had Q6, and K1?

Not quite saturation for any of the groups?

Stewart

You can dilute that even more . The K1 is only good for the BR period.

GER/LNER/BR area has down well withe B17 arrived/arriving now as well.

The obvious orphans are the NER area at the moment. Q6 is superb but just the tip of a very large iceberg at the moment.

...If we look at this year, North Eastern modelers had J15, J50, D16, K1 and Q6 in a short space of time. The market was saturated and they could not keep up ... 

Actually even more intense than that. They also hit us with the QoS Pullman cars, and this after the run of newly tooled introductions from 2012 which included B1, B17, L1, O1, P2, and the Gresley and Thompson non-gangwayed coaches, and long CCT. Not that I am in any way complaining

Totally support the point about trying to 'spread it around' in terms of subject choice, so that you get maximum access to potential customer wallets; must be the soundest strategy.

You can dilute that even more . The K1 is only good for the BR period.

GER/LNER/BR area has down well withe B17 arrived/arriving now as well.

The obvious orphans are the NER area at the moment. Q6 is superb but just the tip of a very large iceberg at the moment.

Not forgetting the (seemingly) permanently ignored Scottish Region...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

At 26seconds in, there's a suburban coach lying on its side.

It looks like it has a solid bogie (a motor bogie perhaps ?).

But the coach also looks like it has step boards under the doors.. ( looking round the recent range everything seems to have full length running boards).

Any thoughts what it is ?

Edited by adb968008

It's a Thompson (semi-corridor) Suburban Composite, I think. My wild guess would be the N2 into Railroad and something like a G5, N7 or A5, or a Stanier push-pull coach with something to pull it.

In these interesting times, though, only Total Peckett Production is the answer - I hear the acronym may become available soonish. :crazy:

Strangely the last Engine Shed has not drawn any comments here although most of the new announcements have their own threads.

That said, one item barely touched are the TTS sound chips being available to buy separately. I think this is a great move and of the 10 offered, there are 3 I will definitely be buying (class 31, Tornado, Castle class).

Any chance of Bullied West Country's, Britannia's, 9Fs, HST (original engine), S15s, Schools, 4MT, EMUs in a future batch? 

As far as the TTS module is concerned, its good that its finally been released as an add-on to upgrade various models.

The price is a bit steep; £40 is a bit more than the "it only adds £25 to a non-dcc loco" we were told at the outset.  I'll concede that the fall in the pound against the dollar doesn't help and that retail packaging must be accounted for (and no doubt, other stuff as well), but I feel that its priced against other products like the train-tech (non-dcc) sound effect modules and how much tts modules stripped from tts locos go for on ebay. 

I've a couple of locos that I'd like to upgrade to sound but at the current price level a couple are all that will get sound.

As far as the TTS module is concerned, its good that its finally been released as an add-on to upgrade various models.

The price is a bit steep; £40 is a bit more than the "it only adds £25 to a non-dcc loco" we were told at the outset.  I'll concede that the fall in the pound against the dollar doesn't help and that retail packaging must be accounted for (and no doubt, other stuff as well), but I feel that its priced against other products like the train-tech (non-dcc) sound effect modules and how much tts modules stripped from tts locos go for on ebay. 

I've a couple of locos that I'd like to upgrade to sound but at the current price level a couple are all that will get sound.

The outset was 4 years ago!  They are being advertised around the £35 mark. While non sound chips are around the £20 mark. This is very good value for a sound chip.

Non blow-able sound chips from another supplier are £75, while most sound chips are at the £90 to £120 price mark. The latter you can do sorts of re-programming things with them of course and they come in different sizes.

While the price might be similar to a DC sound system or battery powered ones, these are far more capable. DC sound systems take up lots of space and need to be running a while to charge the battery up to avoid the sound suddenly stopping at the station. The train tech one is compact but rather quiet and you have to drive the loco to match the sound. I brought one but was not sufficient impressed to buy others. After my 2 efforts on DC sound, I switched to DCC sound.

I find the Hornby TTS price to be correct and you can fit them in any model you like.

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I was just about to send a very 'Orrible message to Hornby about their lack of support for the LMS................ooops :stinker: Sorry chaps.........just pre- ordered Sir William!!

• Like 1