Hornby Olton Hall for ?41.50

Legend

• RMweb Premium

I got an email today from Hornby entitled"Engine shed" offering very cheap prices on Railroad items. Click on their website to see. I've been toying with buying a Hall for sometime , ok this is the Red one, but at that price I can buy and reprint. A bit of modelling for a change

So if Hornby can do a Hall for £41.50 how come we are seeing these increases from Bachmann?

• RMweb Gold

I got an email today from Hornby entitled"Engine shed" offering very cheap prices on Railroad items. Click on their website to see. I've been toying with buying a Hall for sometime , ok this is the Red one, but at that price I can buy and reprint. A bit of modelling for a change

So if Hornby can do a Hall for £41.50 how come we are seeing these increases from Bachmann?

Over production ? Cash flow ? Not selling ? Warehouse space ? These are all Railroad items. Could be a variety of reasons. Hornby's manufacturing & marketing are very different from Bachmann's,so comparisons are difficult to make.I recently purchased the "enhanced " version " Rood Ashton Hall " which is basically the same und

er the skin as the Harry Potter loco and I would have to say that I am not over impressed and that I very much look forward to the Bachmann models now in transit.

Regarding price reductions,it has I think gone generally unremarked that some recently released Bachmann models are the subject of price reductions...notably variants of the " Jubilee ".

It depends on what you want your model to be and your expectations of it.Let's not  encourage a like-for-like response .....because they are not alike.

Bachmann have decided to hike their prices and we have to  accept it and purchase....or not....accordingly.. We can question the reasons and motivation exhaustively.The final arbiter is your wallet.

Over production ? Cash flow ? Not selling ? Warehouse space ? These are all Railroad items. Could be a variety of reasons. Hornby's manufacturing & marketing are very different from Bachmann's,so comparisons are difficult to make.

Hornby's financial year ends on March 31. Perhaps they want to add a few more pounds to their turnover and reduce their inventory.  When they close the books a week from Tuesday, they will be all the better having cleared what are mostly a bunch of low-end products.

It's a great opportunity for someone that wants to turn the Caledonian 0-4-0ST into a grotty industrial.

It's to do with those in the Hornby club I believe as the club discount is now live when you log in also you no longer have to enter a code. I just got an 06 and a 31.

Not sure if the cheap railroad items are for anyone registered or just club members also is the engine shed for club members only?

*Edit looks like it was for everyone, they have still incorporated club discount into the site though.

Thanks for the tip.

I've bought one at £41.50 including postage.  I'll change the livery, probably to post WW2 unlined green (OK for the period 1946 to 1950-ish)

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the tip.

I've bought one at £41.50 including postage.  I'll change the livery, probably to post WW2 unlined green (OK for the period 1946 to 1950-ish)

Yep my thoughts exactly. In my case early 60s late BR. Was thinking of buying Rood Ashton Hall but was put off by Hornbys dull chalky green. This way I save £60 Smackeroonies less the cost of lining transfers. Really surprised such a new model is available at half their listed price. I've also broken my taboo of buying direct! How can model shops deal with this?

It's a great opportunity for someone that wants to turn the Caledonian 0-4-0ST into a grotty industrial.

It is indeed, but (and yes, I'm actually going to complain about the price) why didn't they just bump the cost *up* to clear the minimum price for free postage? Ultimately it makes little difference - £18 is great - but it doesn't quite feel right to me; I can see it's "up to 50%" off. :meeting:

How can model shops deal with this?

If Hornby can sell retail at 50% off, why can't they sell to the trade at that price. I am getting a bit frustrated with buying at the trade price only to have Hornby sell direct for less than I paid a few weeks later.

Steve

It is indeed, but (and yes, I'm actually going to complain about the price) why didn't they just bump the cost *up* to clear the minimum price for free postage? Ultimately it makes little difference - £18 is great - but it doesn't quite feel right to me; I can see it's "up to 50%" off. :meeting:

And that was a glitch - the 06 appeared to ask for only a few quid more to get free postage, but it actually says over £30. Ah well.

• RMweb Premium

I got free postage on the Hall. I'll wait to see how long it takes to arrive, as I know there were a few people disappointed previously. Not overly bothered as it was a spur of the moment decision to buy, and I've got my 64XX to play with meantime

Olton Hall has been dispatched today, expecting it on Monday.

Mine was despatched yesterday for delivery Monday as well, but it turned up today at 9.45am nice one UK mail.

ok.gif

A quick look I'm quite impressed for the price, even the tender hand rails are done well for moulded ones, easy to disguise with some black paint.

Trundling around running in at the moment but it is smooth and quite straight out of the box.

Img_2095%20640_zpsuvsecb8s.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Ordered Thursday night arrived midday Monday exactly in range of times UK Mail texted me. As working from home today, early lunch saw Olton Hall tried out on layout. Lovely smooth runner from crawl to more than prototypical high speed. People on here will know I'm always on about value for money. I have to say this is it. Great looking loco, excellent runner, delivered in 2 working days , at the fantastic price of £41.50 postage paid, still having difficulty believing it ! Well done Hornby!

Mmm less than two thirds of the price of a Bachmann autocoach. Yes I know they are not strictly comparable, I mean the Hall has a motor in it and working chassis, pick ups etc . But doesn't it make you think?

looks good against the red liveried Class 42 "Thruster"!

Les Dawson's mother-in-law would have looked good against that.

I'm sure some will think they've got a fantastic bargain but would you want to be a retailer who's just paid out more than that for it to sit on a shelf with a few less buyers around? If I were a retailer any remaining stock would be heading back Kent way pretty sharpish.

Archived