NEW Realtrack DMU

charliepetty

Underbody/interior on rapido uk product page.

http://uk.rapidotrains.com/class-156-dmu/

I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of the boy shells of the samples as well.

Not high quaility given the circumstances but a picture of it running on loop of track:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/117226-seen-at-warley/?p=2512529

I agree that the raised cab side window moulding looks to heavy and square, on the Lima/ Hornby 156 it is less heavy and has slightly rounded inner and outer corners, three more things don't look quite right, the seam on the cab roof between where the roof ribs finish and the cantrail looks too heavy, on the real thing and on the Lima/Hornby one it is hardly noticeable .

The snowplough looks too thick, it looks like the one on the Hornby class 153, if you compare it to a Bachmann class 150 snowplough that is moulded in very thin plastic that looks more to scale and accurate looking, also on the Dapol and Lima/Hornby class 156 the inner ends have Horizontal grooves, but on the artwork I cant see these grooves

I know this is only a 1st engineering prototype and things probably will be changed, and that it was laser scanned but these 4 things jump right out .

The Lima class 156 body was and still is very good considering it was tooled 29 years ago, it was the box underframe most people had issues with.

I wonder if the "Regional Railways" livery mentioned is actually the as delivered Provincial "Sprinter" livery?  At the risk of sounding a pedant, the as delivered livery isn't "Regional Railways" with the dark blue window stripe carried to the end, a silver grey base and the light blue stripe with "linking device" under the cab window, however some units of course did carry variants of "Regional Railways" liveries - those units allocated to the North West carried the later Regional Railways style but with a green, rather than light blue, stripe whilst all the Central allocated fleet ended up in Regional Railways Express livery between 1995 and about 2005.

Hopefully it's the as delivered "running man" Provincial style which lasted on some units for nearly thirteen years.

On this East midlands train painted sample it looks to have a slight gap between the grey of the roof and the coloured bodyside paint, as though the roof can be removed like it does on the Dapol and Lima/Hornby class 156, is this a one piece bodyshell or does the roof come off ?, if it does have a removable roof I can see this being an issue if they do the North west regional railways green stripe version as the all yellow front extended further up compared to other class 156 liveries and you would see a line between the joint of the roof and cab front.

post-3546-0-76951000-1480298904.png

I agree that the raised cab side window moulding looks to heavy and square, on the Lima/ Hornby 156 it is less heavy and has slightly rounded inner and outer corners, three more things don't look quite right, the seam on the cab roof between where the roof ribs finish and the cantrail looks too heavy, on the real thing and on the Lima/Hornby one it is hardly noticeable .

The snowplough looks too thick, it looks like the one on the Hornby class 153, if you compare it to a Bachmann class 150 snowplough that is moulded in very thin plastic that looks more to scale and accurate looking, also on the Dapol and Lima/Hornby class 156 the inner ends have Horizontal grooves, but on the artwork I cant see these grooves

I know this is only a 1st engineering prototype and things probably will be changed, and that it was laser scanned but these 4 things jump right out .

The Lima class 156 body was and still is very good considering it was tooled 29 years ago, it was the box underframe most people had issues with.

Regarding the inner ends some units had horizontal grooves and some didn't. Not sure why there was that change made.

There is a very good site about 156s http://dysgraphyk.madasafish.com/156/class156_contents.htm but even there I can't find any info about the change.

• RMweb Premium

Hopefully it's the as delivered "running man" Provincial style which lasted on some units for nearly thirteen years.

Yes, that's the one I'm hoping for. Already ordered the two Saltire versions, but would love one in the original Provincial livery. Pic show the first delivery of a 156 to Haymarket, in 1988 (forgive the dodgy scan and my lack of understanding how to take properly exposed photos in strong sunlight)

post-22167-0-61339800-1480328664_thumb.jpg

post-22167-0-94897400-1480328685_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

On this East midlands train painted sample it looks to have a slight gap between the grey of the roof and the coloured bodyside paint, as though the roof can be removed like it does on the Dapol and Lima/Hornby class 156, is this a one piece bodyshell or does the roof come off ?, if it does have a removable roof I can see this being an issue if they do the North west regional railways green stripe version as the all yellow front extended further up compared to other class 156 liveries and you would see a line between the joint of the roof and cab front.

(Post edited because my info was incorrect)

The roof is not a separate moulding.

I've just delivered one of the EMT 156 vehicles  back to the paintshop for some tweaking and checked the joint lines.. The "gap" between roof and body is actually a small seam on the prototype and is accentuated because of the lighting in the photo.

So there is no joint on the front, which means that you'll have a seam free yellow front for the (IMO) ugly looking full yellow front of the green stripe 156s

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

I wonder if the "Regional Railways" livery mentioned is actually the as delivered Provincial "Sprinter" livery?  At the risk of sounding a pedant, the as delivered livery isn't "Regional Railways" with the dark blue window stripe carried to the end, a silver grey base and the light blue stripe with "linking device" under the cab window, however some units of course did carry variants of "Regional Railways" liveries - those units allocated to the North West carried the later Regional Railways style but with a green, rather than light blue, stripe whilst all the Central allocated fleet ended up in Regional Railways Express livery between 1995 and about 2005.

I also was wondering the same about the Regional Railways option that is to follow. I personally would want the provincial livery to be done, but actually would like the Regional Railways livery to follow next to be the one that is normally described as Express, being the same as was seen on class 158. I know its off region for me, but I have always thought they looked great in that livery, and remember them like that from time at University. 

Will have to get my deposit paid for a 156 in ex-first group livery as thats going to be changed to be one ex-FNW with Northern branding, for the start of the previous franchise.

With regards to the class 142, this is fantastic news. 

Im getting one of all three announced! To be honest, Charlie will be seeing an awful lot of my cash done on this model, as its one of my favourite types of train! Yeah... but when you start most journeys on one you soon get a massive spot spot for them. A question on the Skipper unit - will the 142 be in Brown and Cream with yellow doors as seen in picture, as that is 142026 which carried the livery like that up to about 1998 if memory served and then was painted into Northern Spirit, as that will give it best guise for being able to be used against other units, or will the model also have original folding doors? (Cant believe I've suddenly gone all 142 yellow door geeky over a model. Is that worse than rivit counting?)

A request in here too for 142020 to be done in Tyne and Wear Regional Railways on the next batch. 

I also like the Nodders.  Never really worked in the West Midlands though (I remember talking to a former colleague at Centro who was proud of the fact they stood up to Department for Transport pressure to accept the "cheap" railbuses for the Midlands locals even though it meant hanging on to the old 1950s units) but they were fun when new.

Has any indication been given when the two EMT livery versions may follow, or pre-orders for them taken?

According to the leaflet being handed out it's a 2018/2019 job.

Also, didn't notice till mentioned earlier, the windows (both cab and saloon) do indeed seem to stand a bit 'proud' compared to the prototype which is something I couldn't put my finger on when looking at the sample in person. Is this sample very much a proving sample & will this be rectified before production? Looking at a photo of the real 156408 (clicky), there is a gutter that is above the door - it appears to run down the sides of the door on the model too. Some clarity on this would be appreciated. These parts aside it looks a very neat model.