Bachmann Class 450 - to weather or not?

Bachmann Class 450 - to weather or not?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer the recently announced Bachmann 31-041 Class 450127 weathered or pristine?

• Yes - continue to release 31-041 weathered
    • No - produce 31-041 in pristine condition to run with 31-040 / in choice of
    • Alternative - release 31-040 in pristine condition, also release a weathered version as 31-041A

I'm not a fan of factory weathered locos or wagons. In my view, weathering from factory will 9/10 always be a 'quick blow' down the sides/underframe with one uniform colour. Having any form of detailing takes time, time is money, money that is already on the rise as modern day liveries are getting more complex/intricate which again, takes time. Personally for me, i'd try to sway manufaturers to produce unweathered models in the future.

• 2 months later...

Yes, looked nice in the Bachmann Times, but tiny photo. I was told the tooling would be on show at DEMU by Bachmann but Burton is too far for me to travel too.

Either way, certainly hope to see it at the GCR next week.

Hopefully livery samples soon, then production before the year is out!

I also note that this poll still strongly favours both releases in pristine rather than weathered. Fingers crossed democracy works!

• RMweb Gold

I also note that this poll still strongly favours both releases in pristine rather than weathered. Fingers crossed democracy works!

Democracy only works if the people producing it ask for the vote and 69 votes is hardly a big majority in terms of a production run in the thousands ;)

• 2 weeks later...

The 450's in SWT are nice colourful units and I must admit that they are very tempting and after seeing the altered tooling at showcase a southern layout would be nice.

The main thing holding me back on these is that to be able to create the current scene on the Waterloo- Weymouth route the 444 really needs to be produced as well. I know this would cost more etc being a 5 car unit and complete new tooling but think that this would make a lot of sense and more units of the 450 would probably be sold as a result? This is not a wish list just a viewpoint but I was interested in others thoughts on this.

Thanks

Mark

I'd love to see a Class 444. But, alas, I do not see it happening anytime soon.

Perhaps in the future when today's railway, which shall be yesterday's, we shall see all we want. I hope! 

Would love a 442 Wessex before the 444 though! Now that is hoping.

I would buy two Class 450s from Bachmann if they listened that not really anyone wants one weathered!

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone considered that the weathered one might get a proper job and not just a mucky blow over with an airbrush? Or are we just jumping to conclusions before seeing what Bachmann delivers...

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

They have and are improving...

Well the limited amount of information given in the recent post from Bachmann would suggest that they are. At least they are doing the roof with the faded paintwork, it will be interesting to see if its uniformly pale or comes with the striped effect shown in Dennis Lovett's photograph. If the 450s sell well they can then come back later and rework the model with the darker paintwork that has been applied as seen in my photographs taken at Alton posted above. I am sufficiently optimistic to have changed my mind and placed an order for the 'weathered' version after all and am looking forward to seeing it later in the year. 

all the best

Godfrey

• 5 months later...

for those of you who have pre ordered Bachmann 450127 it has now been named as of 26th july its name is dave gunson after a basingstoke guard who was sadly killed just before christmas on his way back into work dave was a keen cyclist and lived in tidworth his nearest station was gratley the naming ceromony took place at woking station but do not despare as Steve at railtec transfers has already done the transfers  for the name Dave Gunson for those of you who wish to name there s regards mike bunker

post-12347-0-42299600-1501443040_thumb.jpg

post-12347-0-01223400-1501443053_thumb.jpeg

post-12347-0-68927500-1501443074_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
Guest FairwayJunction

Bachmanns rendition of the class 450 looks superb. Even though the price is high, the manufacturer is giving us the opportunity to model modern era passenger locations such as on the Portsmouth Direct line which to my knowledge has not been modelled before in the modern era due to the fact the rolling stock hasn't been released. So for me, this is a must buy and will go well with Dapols upcoming class 73 in South West Trains livery.

As for weathering, I rarely see any rolling stock of the class 450 in dirty conditions however the paint has been susceptible to fading on the roofs of the units.

Edited by Rory.B

• RMweb Gold

How can Bachmann justify £400 for a 4 car unit considering that its from existing tooling from the class 350 that might be very simply modified ?

Considering the Rapido apt-e is a 4 car unit priced at £225.00.

The class 350 was only £107.00 when it was released that was the price I got them for from Arcadia in Shaw Oldham.

The 450 only needs minor modifications and a new paint mask.

I ask my self and others on here are Bachmann Trying to take us all for a ride?

What people forget is the model makers are now having to pay for licences to the train operators and I believe SouthWest Trains are charging quite a bit for 3rd parties to use their logo's and branding.  I think you'll find that this is now becoming quite common or is common with train operating companies and that additional charge will be passed on to us, the eventual customer.

Julian Sprott

• RMweb Gold

The weathered version is very nicely done with a completely different paint application to the roof with the chipping prints in the pantograph well like they are using on wagons. The underframe is spot on and while it comes a bit further up than you see in summer it's not untypical of winter muck. I reduced similar weathering on the mpv with a cotton bud and brasso so I might try to lightly remove a bit for some variation eventually.

Very nicely done.