Devon Diesel Era Photo Record

Garry Morris

On 31/07/2023 at 09:16, brushman47544 said:

If the headcode is correct, the train is a local stopper and, in view of the Western, may be going to Paignton to form an express back to Paddington.

The head code could be a red herring.

Invader is sitting at the down end of the up main platform, I.e the opposite side of the station to normal use  for  trains bound for Paignton. There are a number of situations where this be being used,

1 some sort of disruption and the train has come from Exeter.

2 The train has come from Plymouth and Invaider has run round to head to Paignton.

3 Invaider has come off shed and replaced the loco of a train from Plymouth to change direction.

4 Invaider is shutting extra coaches onto an up train. The coaches may have come from the carriage siding or from an up train from Paignton that arrived in the up branch platform (just in the foreground).

If the train had come from Plymouth then why use the up platform and not the down ones to reverse.

On 23/10/2023 at 19:59, Bob83a said:

The head code could be a red herring.

Invader is sitting at the down end of the up main platform, I.e the opposite side of the station to normal use  for  trains bound for Paignton. There are a number of situations where this be being used,

1 some sort of disruption and the train has come from Exeter.

2 The train has come from Plymouth and Invaider has run round to head to Paignton.

3 Invaider has come off shed and replaced the loco of a train from Plymouth to change direction.

4 Invaider is shutting extra coaches onto an up train. The coaches may have come from the carriage siding or from an up train from Paignton that arrived in the up branch platform (just in the foreground).

If the train had come from Plymouth then why use the up platform and not the down ones to reverse.

All up trains were on the up lines either relief , main or through , the relief and main were signalled for passenger trains to depart in the down direction . In the summer there were Saltash / Plymouth to Goodrington workings and return plus other excursions . There was no reversible working 

On 21/10/2023 at 20:53, John Besley said:

my old Dad passed away last week and in his vast collection of railway photos are drawers full of photo albums covering our local area from at least the 80's up to more recent times...

Trouble I don't know what to do them at the moment...

Would it help if, with the collctive goodwill and knowledge of the RMWeb brethren, we found someone with a scanner willing to help you make digital copies? Of course, your choice what to do with them after that. Share them with Newton Abbot, or here, or on Flickr.

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Would it help if, with the collctive goodwill and knowledge of the RMWeb brethren, we found someone with a scanner willing to help you make digital copies? Of course, your choice what to do with them after that. Share them with Newton Abbot, or here, or on Flickr.

I am still pondering what's best, from one point of view as an executor I do need to see what monetary value there is in them, I do also have a collection of DVR both the Ashburton Branch and the Kingswear line in black and white, what's scary is most of these are now 60 to 50 plus years ago... those I will never part with

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 30/07/2023 at 22:47, Alfster said:

Hello. Was browsing through Colour Rail and came across a picture of 56050 passing through Totnes with the return polybulk wagons.

Was this likely a traction trial at the time or just a Class 47 failure with a replacement Class 56 working through.

Ref   285790

Class   56

Loco   56050

Location   Totnes

Date   31/12/1987

Photographer   SIV

I’ve only ever seen one picture of a Class 56 on the Dover - St. Blazey Polybulks. It was a Railfreight Construction livery loco approaching Cowley Bridge Junction at Exeter. Couldn’t be the same train as in the slide to which you refer as 56050 was still in Railfreight grey at that time. I don’t recall any talk of trials of Class 56s on these trains so maybe these are just isolated examples. I only ever saw this train with a 33, 37, 47 or 50 on the front. Class 56s were, at that time, rarely seen in Devon but here’s one from Flickr at Dawlish Warren in 1983:

Grid Southwest!

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I remember the day when one of the carriage cleaners at Paignton who was covering the shunters turn coupled up the 52 with only the pipes and the right away was given. Well you can imagine the rest.....!

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3

On 28/11/2023 at 16:57, The Pilotman said:

I’ve only ever seen one picture of a Class 56 on the Dover - St. Blazey Polybulks. It was a Railfreight Construction livery loco approaching Cowley Bridge Junction at Exeter. Couldn’t be the same train as in the slide to which you refer as 56050 was still in Railfreight grey at that time. I don’t recall any talk of trials of Class 56s on these trains so maybe these are just isolated examples. I only ever saw this train with a 33, 37, 47 or 50 on the front. Class 56s were, at that time, rarely seen in Devon but here’s one from Flickr at Dawlish Warren in 1983:

Grid Southwest!

John Vaughan's album 'An Illustrated History of West Country China Clay Trains' contains a photo of 56013 in R/F Coal Sector livery being trialled on 11 CDA wagons from Tavistock Junction (CDAs in Devon.......almost forgot that happened!) at Lostwithiel at 07.05 on 27th February 1990. The caption says it was a one-day clearance trial with a view to possible use on Speedlink services in lieu of pairs of 37s. It was not to be of course (thankfully, as the 37s scored more highly on the scale of awesomeness) even though the trial went OK - and Speedlink folded less than 18 months later anyway. It was almost inevitable that the Class 47 working the overnight sleepers would choose that day to fail in the area, requiring 56013 to rescue the train and tow it all the way through to Penzance! Following this it ran clearance tests light-engine over the clay branches, but that one day was the beginning and end of the prospect of regular Class 56 activity on South West freight.

Well, not quite! On 9th September 1994 an exhibition at St Blazey depot to publicise the launch of Transrail provided 56044 'Cardiff Canton' in Transrail triple-grey livery, parked next to the turntable. Whether it arrived and/or departed light-engine or working trains is not stated. Photo in 'Cornish China Clay Trains in Colour' by Maurice Dart.

Although these comments concern Cornwall the locos could only get there via Devon, so still relevant!😉

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Re6/6 said:

I remember the day when one of the carriage cleaners at Paignton who was covering the shunters turn coupled up the 52 with only the pipes and the right away was given. Well you can imagine the rest.....!

The main carriage cleaner at Paignton was a tall thin guy called Ivor, always getting a good ribbing from the PDSR crews... in many was he reminded me of Stephen Lewis from On the Buses and Oh Dr Beeching

• RMweb Gold

Ah yes, Ivor! He came into the mess room once asking if we'd like some 'women' magazines...well of course we did...and what did he bring in some 'Women's Own' ...! Dear old Ivor!

It was reputed that he died a very wealthy man so you never can tell!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 16/12/2023 at 21:52, Re6/6 said:

Ah yes, Ivor! He came into the mess room once asking if we'd like some 'women' magazines...well of course we did...and what did he bring in some 'Women's Own' ...! Dear old Ivor!

It was reputed that he died a very wealthy man so you never can tell!

I take it you worked on the TSR as it was in those days.... in which case I should know you... I cut my teeth there along with Pete Roach in 1973 to 1975 while still at school, my first job when I left school in 75' at 16 was on early shift loco prep and cleaning in that hot summer

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 16/12/2023 at 14:04, Halvarras said:

John Vaughan's album 'An Illustrated History of West Country China Clay Trains' contains a photo of 56013 in R/F Coal Sector livery being trialled on 11 CDA wagons from Tavistock Junction (CDAs in Devon.......almost forgot that happened!) at Lostwithiel at 07.05 on 27th February 1990. The caption says it was a one-day clearance trial with a view to possible use on Speedlink services in lieu of pairs of 37s. It was not to be of course (thankfully, as the 37s scored more highly on the scale of awesomeness) even though the trial went OK - and Speedlink folded less than 18 months later anyway. It was almost inevitable that the Class 47 working the overnight sleepers would choose that day to fail in the area, requiring 56013 to rescue the train and tow it all the way through to Penzance! Following this it ran clearance tests light-engine over the clay branches, but that one day was the beginning and end of the prospect of regular Class 56 activity on South West freight.

Well, not quite! On 9th September 1994 an exhibition at St Blazey depot to publicise the launch of Transrail provided 56044 'Cardiff Canton' in Transrail triple-grey livery, parked next to the turntable. Whether it arrived and/or departed light-engine or working trains is not stated. Photo in 'Cornish China Clay Trains in Colour' by Maurice Dart.

Although these comments concern Cornwall the locos could only get there via Devon, so still relevant!😉

Sorry about the poor quality photo but here’s a shot of either 56053 or 56055 (I think the latter?) at St David’s sometime around 1987. 

644C3570-E95D-40A8-BA07-18B2F52669C8.jpeg.263580117b5f695b4303f0adcef75c52.jpeg

My stepbrother and I had gone down to the station after school and noticed it waiting for the road at the London end of platform 4. This was the best photo he managed to get before it shot off in a haze of exhaust fume leaving us somewhat surprised as they were very rare beasts down our way at the time.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
On 21/12/2023 at 08:50, John Besley said:

I take it you worked on the TSR as it was in those days.... in which case I should know you... I cut my teeth there along with Pete Roach in 1973 to 1975 while still at school, my first job when I left school in 75' at 16 was on early shift loco prep and cleaning in that hot summer

Indeed John I did. I was on the Pway and worked at Buckfastleigh at first then moved to Paignton when the DVR  started running  just the school service. Three of us built the pit at Paignton and then I took the much cleaner job of running the bookshop! Fondly remembered days...well sort of!

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Re6/6 said:

Indeed John I did. I was on the Pway and worked at Buckfastleigh at first then moved to Paignton when the DVR  started running  just the school service. Three of us built the pit at Paignton and then I took the much cleaner job of running the bookshop! Fondly remembered days...well sort of!

In that case I should know you... I'll have a hunt through my late Father's collection of B&W photos as there are a number of pictures of the construction work at Paignton and think ghere will be of hhe pit with 1638 and 6412 on construction trains including a working one afternoon of both engines top and tailing a wirking of BR Grampus to Kingswear to stable them 

Scary when you realise that's 50 years ago...

• Friendly/supportive 1

53 minutes ago, John Besley said:

In that case I should know you... I'll have a hunt through my late Father's collection of B&W photos as there are a number of pictures of the construction work at Paignton and think ghere will be of hhe pit with 1638 and 6412 on construction trains including a working one afternoon of both engines top and tailing a wirking of BR Grampus to Kingswear to stable them 

Scary when you realise that's 50 years ago...

I wonder if you both might have known Mervyn Holwill as well? He’s my friend Paul’s father and he was involved with it all back then. 

In one of the books of the line (just trying to find out which one) there’s a photo of him carrying out guard duties at Totnes Riverside in the 1970s.

• RMweb Premium

Hmm, remember Ernie the guard ex Newton Abbot driver he had a bit of a hunched back. Back in the day he drove most of the top link turns, Kings, Castles etc, as well as worked the Kingsbridge branch

Edited by John Besley

12 minutes ago, John Besley said:

Hmm, remember Ernie the guard ex Newton Abbot driver he had a bit of a hunched back. Back in the day he drove most of the top link turns, Kings, Castles etc, as well as worked the Kingsbridge branch

Mervyn was an electrician and never worked for British Rail as far as I’m aware. Anyway he’s pictured in Branch lines to Ashburton (Middleton press) about a third of the way in apparently.

He’s still got his DVR shares from back then and very proud he is of them too!

I think he was involved in rescuing Dumbleton Hall as well.