Marcus 37

Hi Marcus, I must say what a set of fantastic pics mate, really IS Peak Forest to a tee. just a tip about pinning concrete sleepers, I use the very fine wire Peco pins, and I use a pair of pliers to push them into the outside of the Chair BUT only about half way and then bend them over to allow stock to be tested etc. Once ballasted they can then be pulled out leaving no trace of any track fixings as the hole is so fine it as its in the Chair it cant be seen.

Great work though matey, really is the Dogs whatsits. :locomotive:  :locomotive: :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive:  

• Like 2

Marcus,

You've made a hell off a lot of progress there, and it looks fantastic!!! I've never been to the real railhead, but I can quite imagine that you've captured the look very well from the pictures I've seen.

Jinty ;-)

Looking really good this. No sure how I missed it previously though! Will you have working stone wagon loaders?

Mmmm, now there's a thought. Certainly haven't got a shortage of stone. Just need to think of a viable delivery system into the loading shed. Definitely going to have a think about that one.

Thanks for the idea Cav.

• Like 3

Hopper full of stone and a near horizontal pipe with a mobile phone vibration motor attached to get the stone to flow into the hopper wagon maybe? I dunno. Or a simple hopper on top with trap door under operated by servo motor to let the stone through?

Edited by RBE
  • Like 1

Cheers Andy

I'm going to have a look at the loading shed tomorrow to see if I can viably convert the old steel terminal shed. It's basically just a hard board shell covered with brick paper and the like. If I can manage to cut out the windows successfully then I can clad it with Slaters Plastikard corrugated sheets. As long as I cut the windows slightly oversize any imperfections will be covered by the Plastikard.

I do like Cavs idea of loading the trains so I'm going to have a think about that too.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 3

Hopper full of stone and a near horizontal pipe with a mobile phone vibration motor attached to get the stone to flow into the hopper wagon maybe? I dunno. Or a simple hopper on top with trap door under operated by servo motor to let the stone through?

That's food for thought as I'm thinking I can load the stone into the back of the screening building off stage, as it will be low relief, and send it down to the loading building. I can only have a slight gradient so the vibration idea would be a good one.

I'm hoping for a job up to Stud Farm soon so I can have a good look at the conveyers and buildings there to help with some realistic construction ideas. When our trains are loaded the stone comes up in batches from a 20000 tonne bunker. Prior to being discharged into the train it passes through a series of screens to take out any dust. This is discharged in a large heap from an open ended conveyer. This is then loaded into dump trucks and taken away and reused for binding material I believe.

Hopefully this will be incorporated on the layout.

Just arriving at the Cross so time for a walk round to Euston.

Back on later hopefully.

Marcus.

• Like 1

Cracking job Marcus, and great vid Anthony.

It's all looking great, immediately recognisable  as Peak Forest.

Al.

Thanks Al. That's a compliment indeed. Sorry about the rough shunting on the video, couldn't see the buffers at the end of the siding behind the embankment. Don't drive my real trains like that....... Honest!!

Anyway I decided to attack the loading shed this morning so from this.......

post-18515-0-58396000-1430917286_thumb.jpg

To this.......

post-18515-0-86633100-1430917332_thumb.jpg

post-18515-0-52285900-1430917371_thumb.jpg

post-18515-0-90902600-1430917410_thumb.jpg

Obviously along way to go yet but I was a bit concerned about trying to cut the windows out in the hard board. In the end I tried the mini disc cutter. Probably not the right tool but it did the trick although it was a bit smokey, cough,cough.

Still some more chopping out to do on the other side but it's getting there.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 6

Looking good marcus I presume the loader will be operational?

David

Looking good marcus I presume the loader will be operational?

David

That's the plan eventually Dave. I shall make the roof of the loading tower removable for the time being until I come up with a suitable and reliable system delivery system.

I would love to know what system is inside that shed at Doveholes quarry. It's not a rapid loader as watching the train in there the other day it was drawing up a bit then stopping. I'm wondering wether there is a conveyer along the length of the shed that allows more than one wagon to be loaded at once. Has anyone been lucky enough to see inside?

I should have paid more attention and taken note how far the train drew forward each time.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 1