Marcus 37

• RMweb Gold

Oh by the way by iPad keeps doing strange things at the moment since I updated if. Firstly couldn't get rid of the info bars around the edges and now the screen doesn't want to rotate on photos. Grrrrr...... Modern technology!!

get photobucket on the ipad, upload pics to that and add the generated link to the thread, thats what i do with my pics

Edited by big jim

You are doing well to resist track laying Marcus, I can see the points in the last pic...if that was me they'd either be layed or on another layout by now! :no:

Great work with the foam board, I've recently used it as underlay to varying degrees of success....

Keep the updates coming! ;)

Jack.

• RMweb Gold

Yep that's the stuff Paul. Brilliant modelling medium as you will find out when you start using it. Another superb modelling medium is Foam Board. I've heard a few people rave about it so thought I would buy a small A4 size pack from Staples to give it a try.

Any way had a bit of experiment today. First of all it's very sturdy and secondly it cuts really easily.

So first off I made a carcass for my tunnel mouth which will be clad with plasticard prior to placing at the end of the cutting, as pictured below.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Once the Glues set I will add some more strengthening pieces to the side with will also support the PIR above.

The tunnel mouth is scaled from Chee Tor No 1 tunnel by counting the bricks on the photograph below.

This is similar to Doveholes Tunnel portal.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Well after having a go at the tunnel mouth and with a couple of hours left before work I thought I would get a bit more creative........

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Having took several photographs of Peak Forest SB I scaled up the rough dimensions from the Skaledale Midland box on KoLW. The difference being PF has is longer with an extra panel in the middle.

Although the foam board is a bit on the thick side I've over sized the windows so when it's cladded in plasticard it shouldn't be too noticeable.

Might have a crack at cladding it tomorrow to see what it looks like.

Cheers

Marcus

Foamboard is great stuff. But you will find that it blunts your knife blades very quickly. So you either need plenty of spares or use a knife that can be resharpened.

It's not that expensive either but you can often get it for free in the form of redundant poster boards from shops.

• RMweb Gold

Brains correct :D

Great Longstone is still pretty much original as well, as I remember, whereas Peak Forest has been extended and modified.

Yes, very ugly extensions, some in the area previously occupied by the timber waiting shelter.

Bloomin' eck Marcus!!!!!! :O

You don't half get a move on when you start don't you?

You'll be as quick as that Andy Peters soon!!!

Seriously, looking very impressive. Not been able to stop by much as work has been demanding.

Jinty ;-)

• Like 1

As it's rather warm in the loft at the moment I thought I would progress the signal box a bit more.

Having built the main structure from Foam board I then clad it with clear plasticard so the glazing for the windows was flush with the out side apart from the thickness of the boarding. After cutting that to shape I then cut out the planking sheets and cut out the windows.

Once I had checked that these were the right size I glued the clear plasticard to the foam board. I then cut out the window frames out of a thinner card and checked this for fit in the apertures on the planking sheets. The planking sheets were then glued to the structure.

Once dry I fitted the window frames to the windows with clear varnish to stop any hazing of the clear plasticard.

I then cut out some thin strips of card to make the vertical boards and added them to the sides.

A couple of pictures to show progress so far.

post-18515-0-26161600-1428682519_thumb.jpg

post-18515-0-67156000-1428682562_thumb.jpg

I have opted to do the box in its refurbished state which includes the PVC windows, outside toilet and felt roof for something a bit different as seen here.

post-18515-0-66798400-1428682745_thumb.jpg

Might go and lay some track now.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 9

Evening Marcus, just been having a good read and catch up, love the plans on the board and the Stock variety available nowadays.

Coming on well mate.

Edited by Andrew P

Guest bri.s

Great looking box and nice modelling so far ,

looking forward to progress on the layout a great prototype

Looking forward to more

Brian

Edited by bri.s

Just found this layout thread - excellent work Marcus.

Cheers,

Mick

Thanks Mick. Really pleased you've looked in. Hoping to take this layout to the next level such as scratch building etc. Since joining RMweb I've picked up a lot of tips from the more experienced guys such as yourself, Al, Cav and Andy P. Hopefully there should be plenty to post over the foreseeable future.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 3

Hello Marcus,

l have visited Doves holes many times and found it all very interesting also its nice and peaceful a great place to spend and hour or so in the sunshine, only wish l had the room to do something ? watching your build with interest, keep the pics coming ...

GeorgeT

• Like 1

Morning George

It is just one of the best places to go. Peaceful, stunning scenery and plenty of trains to watch. Even Di likes spending the day there! Also there's a nice little pub in Peak Forest village itself, The Devenshire Arms, for lunch so definitely a good all round day out.

I've laid the two quarry storage sidings so will post some pictures up later.

Cheers

Marcus

Edited because iPad thinks it knows better than me!! LOL

Edited by Marcus 37
  • Like 1

Hello Marcus,

l have visited Doves holes many times and found it all very interesting also its nice and peaceful a great place to spend and hour or so in the sunshine, only wish l had the room to do something ? watching your build with interest, keep the pics coming ...

GeorgeT

N GAUGE? :no:  :no: :no:  :no:  :no:  :no: hhahahhahah 

Great looking box and nice modelling so far ,

looking forward to progress on the layout a great prototype

Looking forward to more

Brian

Hello Brian

Welcome to the thread. Sorry, I responded to you're post last night along with another picture of the box but for some unknown reason it hasn't appeared. I've now made a start on the balcony along with the outside privy which was installed recently. I must admit scratch building the steps made me swear a bit but they're not to bad now. The handrails will be tidied up once the glues completely hardened. It was easier to place them on over length and position them with a pair of tweezers.

Anyway here's the progress so far.

post-18515-0-64040200-1428751698_thumb.jpg

The balcony is still removable at the moment for ease of painting. Next stage is to build the roof.

Cheers for now.

Marcus.

• Like 8

Guest bri.s

Hello Brian

Welcome to the thread. Sorry, I responded to you're post last night along with another picture of the box but for some unknown reason it hasn't appeared. I've now made a start on the balcony along with the outside privy which was installed recently. I must admit scratch building the steps made me swear a bit but they're not to bad now. The handrails will be tidied up once the glues completely hardened. It was easier to place them on over length and position them with a pair of tweezers.

Anyway here's the progress so far.

image.jpg

The balcony is still removable at the moment for ease of painting. Next stage is to build the roof.

Cheers for now.

Marcus.

Ha no worries ,really looking forward to how you get on it's a great place to model

The box is looking great ,I always cheat when it comes to the steps and use plastruct but have done the handrails before which can be a pain lol

Brian

Edited by bri.s

Hi Anthony here,

With the new layout coming along nicely I thought it would be a good idea to start a YouTube channel called Peak Dale Wood specifically for videos of the layout. Here is a link to the channel where you will find the first video Peak Dale Wood Part 1.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCcgrLGMe8B5qh68TU7C5kIA

Shortly after making the film my new class 31 decided to go up in smoke and is now on holiday in Margate having a new decoder fitted. Once dad has done some tidying up tomorrow I'll do some more filming which will include some of the new scenery.

Cheers,

Anthony

• Like 4