The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Steam Train Wedding - HELP!

Edge

Well, my GF actually said yes to the dreaded question for reasons beyond my understanding and we are planning to get hitched some time in 2017. Now that the initial shock has worn off, we have both agreed to come up with a dream wedding each (we will try to combine the best bits of both for the actual thing) and naturally my thoughts have turned to Steam Trains :)

I was wondering if any on here have had a good experience chartering a wedding special on a preserved railway. Any recommendations and or suggestions will be very welcome.

Thanks all in advance

I believe that the Havenstreet Steam Railway here on the Isle of Wight do weddings, so you could combine a cruise ( ferry ) with your train ride- from Ryde!

There are those that believe the Island is beautiful enough to honeymoon on as well.

• RMweb Gold

There's an option that might be a compromise of "not too much train"

Blickling Hall (NT) have a number of options for weddings including a small folly in the grounds which you can use for your ceremony without having the reception there. Shown in the first picture here (unless they refresh the site!) http://www.weddingspot.co.uk/mansion-wedding/blickling-hall-national-trust--e18304

You could then have the reception on the North Norfolk Railway which is a short Rolls Royce ride from Blickling

The Buckinghamshire Arms on Blickling Estate would be a good place to spend the night before the wedding too. http://www.bucksarms.co.uk/

Congratulations and good luck!

The Severn Valley Railway is licensed for Weddings, and you can have the reception on the train. 

http://www.svr.co.uk/Weddings_Plan_Your_Day.aspx

My 1st wedding was on the SVR, and as we had a small affair, we hired the GWR Inspection Saloon, where they put on a fabulous buffet, cold champagne, and a polypin of Holdens Bitter in Brake compartment for me and my father. We had this as a stand alone train hauled by the Stanier Mogul. They can also arrange headboards for the loco. I don't know about now, but they even arranged a footplate pass, so some of our guests got to ride on the footplate, I took my first wife through Bewdley Tunnel on the footplate (no smirking). It was quite reasonable as well. I think it cost about £1500 (in 2004) for a buffet for 20, booze, and the train. 

Just bear in mind access to stuff like toilets - big dresses and little spaces etc.

But I could see how nice it would be to turn up in a classic Roller at a station, get on a steam train and travel through the countryside to a location with an old church or a registry in lovely surroundings.

We've used the GWR saloon on the NYMR for birthday and christening parties and had a cracking run out each time.  The railway did the catering each time as well and that was top drawer. 

Only caveat is that my kids are now 13 and 11, so it was a while ago.

• RMweb Premium

We've used the GWR saloon on the NYMR for birthday and christening parties and had a cracking run out each time.  The railway did the catering each time as well and that was top drawer. 

Only caveat is that my kids are now 13 and 11, so it was a while ago.

Some friends of my son chartered that saloon for a wedding party and had a great time.  I'm not sure where the actual ceremony took place.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

We had our wedding reception on the Bluebell last year. I can thoroughly recommend their services. Download their wedding pack from their website.

Congratulations, Edge.

My late step-mother used to work voluntarily on the catering coaches for the Great Central (mainly washing up, but she enjoyed it), and they used to have quite a number of wedding parties booking anything from one coach to the whole train.

As with most weddings these days, you really need to speak to the relevant planners and find out what they can and can't do, and how much it will cost.

Bear in mind that the bride is the centre of attention, so certain styled wedding dresses and dirty railway platforms may not go together in her eyes.

This is the GCR link if you are interested - http://www.gcrailway.co.uk/on-train-dining-services/weddings/

Thank you for all of the suggestions guys :) I had no idea that so many places did wedding specials. I did rather think that it was a minority sport.

I'm determined to make my fiancée (Lord that feels weird to say) the star of the day, no fear.

if anyone else has stories (PG rated please - bewdley tunnel indeed) and or warnings about pitfalls I would be really interested to hear them

And thank you those who have offered congratulations.

• RMweb Gold

I have had some dealings with the catering team at Swanage. They too have a good set-up for weddings and Purbeck is a beautiful area for your guests to visit.

Edit to add: There is a very nice Community Hall and Playing Field right next to Harman's Cross station which could be useful in association with a partly train-based event.

Congrats! 

Make sure you check out the details with the on-train staff before committing. 

We investigated having a reception on board a heritage line and chose not to proceed. 

A couple of reasons, for starters. 

1. Told no-one would be allowed to stand whilst the train was moving - so that would have stopped the Bride and Groom mingling with guests. Or any guests mingling with other guests...

2. The catering manager clearly wasn't keen on children being on board, implying the food the children would be served with would be "chicken nuggets, or whatever they eat these days."

We voted with our feet. 

I guess you'll get a feel for the way the event would be handled when you do a recce, but make sure you ask all the right questions, too.

Edit: Here's an alternative...   :rtfm:   ;)

Best thing, phone or email some preserved railways and ask to be sent a charter pack, if they haven't got one then they probably aren't organised enough for your custom.  That should give you a really good idea of what is available, prices and capacities that you can compare.

Archived