RMweb

Rapido/Locomotion Models GNR Stirling Single

Guest spet0114

Fake news! Fake News!

Locomotion is alive and well and living in Shildon, thank you very much, and I am sure that releases and announcements will continue to thrill and delight us over the coming months and years.

We have the Terrier to look forward to.  That is a model that appears to have had NRM on board from the first, and will no doubt benefit from curatorial support for the exclusive Box Hill version.  I for one have no problem with the concept of a Locomotion exclusive featuring an item in the National Collection, accompanied by main catalogue versions representing different versions and conditions. Twas ever thus; the GWR City and a number of others have seen main catalogue versions from a manufacturer-partner.  

It seems to me that such partnerships - in the case of the Terrier, introducing a retail commissioner into the mix as well - can only the increase the ability of the museum to introduce models of items in the Collection.

We also have had the announcement that rolling stock to complement the Single is also under consideration.

I would have read the runes as suggesting that an expanding, not contracting, Locomotion range is in the offing, with the unique combination of access to the National Collection and commercial partnerships opening up the possibility of seeing all manner of good things that only a short while ago we would not have dreamt of seeing in RTR.  

All this centred upon what is, by necessity, an extremely modestly resourced set up. Locomotion is not a giant online retailer.  Day to day it's one extremely diligent bloke called Stuart who has been working very hard for us to get these models out to us.

I can't tell if you're deliberately missing my point or not and I can't be bothered to get into a fight over it.

To put it in simple terms, I consider the present-day Locomotion, which can barely muster a one-third share of a single exclusive commission, to be a shadow of that of a few years ago, when multiple entirely-exclusive commissions were the order of the day.

Cuts in staff, budgets etc have taken their toll at Shildon.

I can't tell if you're deliberately missing my point or not and I can't be bothered to get into a fight over it.

To put it in simple terms, I consider the present-day Locomotion, which can barely muster a one-third share of a single exclusive commission, to be a shadow of that of a few years ago, when multiple entirely-exclusive commissions were the order of the day.

I understood you. Just thought you were wrong.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I understand what you're saying and I too think you are wrong, for several reasons.  Firstly you need to look back at the pattern they used to work to where effectively a totally new tooled model did not come along every year but more like every couple of years while the intermediate year/years was a re-livery (possibly with some other detail changes) of a commercial model either pre-existing or released roughly in parallel.

I doubt that pattern has actually changed significantly but what has happened to it is the emergence of longer gestation times for more advanced models thus the cycle for the release of totally new tooling has opened out and the gap has been filled partially by various re-livery style releases.  

Neither you nor I know what else they are or aren't planning apart from hints about possible coaching stock to go with the Single - in itself a departure from previous policy and possibly something additional to their normal approach or maybe taking over a part of it.  What we do know, all too clearly if we bother to look, is that that NCIM brand is still producing new models because I (if not you) should be receiving one in the coming weeks and, as ever in the past, they're not likely to announce any future one until this one is commercially and financially out of the way.  What we also know is that each new project is strictly reviewed on a commercial and financial basis before the go ahead is given for production - assuming it satisfies the financial criteria in particular and has a business case and marketing case which will provide an overall net contribution to the museum's funds.  What we don't know is where any successor (to the Single) models are in that process or if any successor models are already under development with a manufacturer and just as it has been in the past we won't know until such models are announced.

But I would lay a pound to a pinch of snuff (Note *) that they have something going on somewhere in that process and I bet I could even hazard a guess at what might come from them next because like many people in the model railway business I'm pretty sure they have a plan.

(Note: *. I haven't come across the expression 'a pound to a pinch of snuff' for many years but as we are talking about a museum here ;)   Incidentally for those who might be wondering the 'pound' in this context is a lb and not a £  )

• Like 2

One of the factors influencing the postponement of the Prototype HST was the indications by many that they were only interested in it if correct coaches to go with it were available, and the announcement by Oxford Rail of their Mk3 line helped to put the viability of the model into question.

I was initially interested in the whole train. However such a thing would now be an expensive white elephant on the layout (like the next release Bachmann Pullman DMU or the DJM APT-P - I am primarily interested in the south east so the 4-BEP and 2-HAPs gets the money first). So I,lll happily just order the preserved Power car and run her time to time as the second power unit in my current Hornby conventional HST (sound fitted of course).

• RMweb Premium

They have - so get writing to your MP and ask HM Treasury to give the DCMS a bit more to spend.

Please remember Locomotion models is there basically to top up the ever decreasing grant from the UK Government, it is NOT there to become a massive retail entity like Hatton's or Rails. In effect Locomotion models is no different from the on site souvenir shop of cafe - just one stocked with products that are more expensive to source and with a lower rate of sale than pencils and cups of coffee.

As such they need to be careful to ensure they do not overreach themselves with special commissions, particularly when the economic future of the country as a whole is facing an uncertain future thanks to the way a certain vote went back in 2016. Some have already pointed out that just because a loco happens to appear in the collection it doesn't guarantee it will sell well.

Fake news! Fake News!

Locomotion is alive and well and living in Shildon, thank you very much, and I am sure that releases and announcements will continue to thrill and delight us over the coming months and years.

We have the Terrier to look forward to.  That is a model that appears to have had NRM on board from the first, and will no doubt benefit from curatorial support for the exclusive Box Hill version.  I for one have no problem with the concept of a Locomotion exclusive featuring an item in the National Collection, accompanied by main catalogue versions representing different versions and conditions. Twas ever thus; the GWR City and a number of others have seen main catalogue versions from a manufacturer-partner.  

It seems to me that such partnerships - in the case of the Terrier, introducing a retail commissioner into the mix as well - can only the increase the ability of the museum to introduce models of items in the Collection.

We also have had the announcement that rolling stock to complement the Single is also under consideration.

I would have read the runes as suggesting that an expanding, not contracting, Locomotion range is in the offing, with the unique combination of access to the National Collection and commercial partnerships opening up the possibility of seeing all manner of good things that only a short while ago we would not have dreamt of seeing in RTR.  

All this centred upon what is, by necessity, an extremely modestly resourced set up. Locomotion is not a giant online retailer.  Day to day it's one extremely diligent bloke called Stuart who has been working very hard for us to get these models out to us.

A timely and enjoyable post, Edwardian.

I recall that not too long ago a very diligent person called Sandra worked very hard to satisfy the demands of many buyers, so all power to Stuart and any others who work to bring we buyers such fine models as the NRM has facilitated.

Locomotion isn't blessed with resources of a large retailer, so it really comes down to supporting the one or two people who do the work, and Stuart and others can be assured that their work is much appreciated. I certainly do.

• Like 6

I can't be bothered to get into a fight over it.

It's probably best not to try and start one then.

a shadow of that of a few years ago, when multiple entirely-exclusive commissions were the order of the day.

Please do tell us which point in time and which projects you refer to. Even if any were running concurrently it does not mean funds were concurrently committed. Locomotion proceed on a steady and measured basis which make your comments look like you're trying to stir the pot. Stop it.

A timely and enjoyable post, Edwardian.

I recall that not too long ago a very diligent person called Sandra worked very hard to satisfy the demands of many buyers, so all power to Stuart and any others who work to bring we buyers such fine models as the NRM has facilitated.

Locomotion isn't blessed with resources of a large retailer, so it really comes down to supporting the one or two people who do the work, and Stuart and others can be assured that their work is much appreciated. I certainly do.

Is it not ironic that in other topics, small "retailers" are criticised for poor performance, but Locomotion (part of a larger organisation) is given considerably more leeway.The NRM, through Locomotion, have chosen to compete in the RTR market. They have some advantages not available to others, such as the pick of the National Collection  from which they can scan the detail required for creating the model. without having to pay. So should they not at least provide a service to customers on a par with other retailers, none of whom, I suspect, carry any "fat" either in their business operations.

Guest spet0114

It's probably best not to try and start one then.

Andy, please look at my original post before allowing your knee to jerk. I was simply responding to a post of RobMcG's, who expressed a desire to see more NRM/Locomotion exclusive tooling with an observation that, based on recent performance, he might be better watching Rails, Hattons or whoever as Locomotion seem less keen to take on the bigger risks involved with such projects and instead prefer now to partner with commercial institutions.

Please do tell us which point in time and which projects you refer to. Even if any were running concurrently it does not mean funds were concurrently committed. Locomotion proceed on a steady and measured basis which make your comments look like you're trying to stir the pot. Stop it.

The irony is, I had refrained from further posting on this topic to avoid further inflaming what is clearly a touchy subject for a number of forum members, several of whom have misinterpreted my comments as an attack on NRM/Locomotion. Now, I feel compelled to answer your unfair post, which will no doubt generate further opprobrium. Catch 22, n'est-ce pas?

As to the data, if it will satisfy the members here, I will happily collate and publish a timeline of announcements, dates of engineering prototypes (evidence of funds committed) and so on. However, given the amount of grief an relatively innocent comment appears to have generated and out of a genuine desire to move on, I'll not do so unless directly requested.

• Like 1

Is it not ironic that in other topics, small "retailers" are criticised for poor performance, but Locomotion (part of a larger organisation) is given considerably more leeway.The NRM, through Locomotion, have chosen to compete in the RTR market. They have some advantages not available to others, such as the pick of the National Collection  from which they can scan the detail required for creating the model. without having to pay. So should they not at least provide a service to customers on a par with other retailers, none of whom, I suspect, carry any "fat" either in their business operations.

Interesting, Jol, but I don't see it in such binary terms.  In my experience, most cottage concerns are given appropriate leeway - opprobrium being reserved for the rare notorious case  - and generally people here are reminded that small businesses run by hobbyists are not well placed to be as responsive as larger organisations (though they are often more so in my experience!). 

I might ask,  why shouldn't Locomotion be given some leeway? It simply isn't the equivalent to a large manufacturer or retailer.  Locomotion is constrained by the status of the museum group and its access to funding. So, it is largely falling on the shoulders of a single individual, who has been working extremely hard to meet the demand for the Stirling Single.

My real difficulty is in understanding what Locomotion is supposed to have ever done wrong in this regard?  The product has not taken as long to deliver as some from the major manufacturers, and I have been kept as informed by Locomotion, indeed more so, than I have in relation to anything else I have pre-ordered from a manufacturer or retailer.

• Like 1

Please may I ask a question regarding the model?

There has been a considerable number of posts recently regarding the use of coreless motors in new models, one poster reporting damage to the new Bachmann Baldwins through use of a feedback controller.  Please, in advance of delivery of my order for the DC version of this model, what type of motor is fitted and what, if any, recommendations do Rapido/Locomotion have regarding appropriate power supplies/controller?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

There has been a considerable number of posts recently regarding the use of coreless motors in new models, one poster reporting damage to the new Bachmann Baldwins through use of a feedback controller.  Please, in advance of delivery of my order for the DC version of this model, what type of motor is fitted and what, if any, recommendations do Rapido/Locomotion have regarding appropriate power supplies/controller?

A very interesting and timely post and the first I think we have heard of damage to a current production model as a result of the coreless/feedback conundrum.Over to Rapido on this issue I think and ASAP.

• RMweb Gold

A very interesting and timely post and the first I think we have heard of damage to a current production model as a result of the coreless/feedback conundrum.Over to Rapido on this issue I think and ASAP.

Just to clear this up,I have an assurance that the motor installed in the Stirling Single is NOT a coreless varietal but conventional
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A very interesting and timely post 

Aplies to me as well, for some time I've been using an older Duette with the rolling road but noticed recently the output has changed. I tested it and it went from 0V straight to 5V and topped out at approx 16V so it's heading for the scrap pile and I'm looking at a new controller.

I have a couple of Coreless motors as well as Mashima and RTR.

• RMweb Gold

That Duette is probably very simple to test, diagnose and repair effectively, but feel free to throw it away and spend more money instead.

It's as old as me, and whilst I don't like throwing stuff away* I fear it's b*ggered a motor which has negated the cost of any repair.

*It'll probably be used under the bench for the 16Vac supply (on the side) to power a tool.

PS - Just spotted the apparent error on the box art!  Well, if you must have an error, better there than on the model.

Naturally I am very happy with the model, and I should thank the kind folk at Locomotion, especially Stuart, for all their help when I called to collect it.