Rapido/Locomotion Models GNR Stirling Single

As with many locomotives it's the stock that's the problem. I don't really have any desire to start building GNR coaches no matter how tempting they may be.

But if it was in 1980s condition then you could legitimately sling a rake of BR Mark 1s behind it. Blood and Custard if I'm not mistaken.

Or I could improve it's looks and fit a dome. ;)

Jason

We would certainly need suitable coaches for first few of those and I think we are missing a 2-4-0 and a few 4-4-0s in that list too.

I was thinking of what is, was or will be RTR. I think we are missing more than a 2-4-0 and 4-4-0s (weren’t they pretty?) but coaches are certainly badly needed. Imagine a scale-length top-link express which doesn’t need an insanely huge layout!

• Like 2

I was thinking of what is, was or will be RTR. I think we are missing more than a 2-4-0 and 4-4-0s (weren’t they pretty?) but coaches are certainly badly needed. Imagine a scale-length top-link express which doesn’t need an insanely huge layout!

My dream is to do a Singles night. With the Dean single, Caley Single and Stirling single dominating the railway with their shortish top link expresses. Helas, the former are poor - by modern standards - representations, while the latter has no coaches...

• Like 3

I had hoped when the NRM embarked on its loco model programme that we might see several of the renowned 'last quarter of C19th' express types get a model (Gladstone, Jumbo, 901  or Tennant, other singles various) but rather fear these have now 'missed the boat' as rising prices will reduce the likely market uptake to less than required for a sensible commercial return. So it may be that the Stirling single is 'it' for this category as far as RTR is concerned.

I had hoped when the NRM embarked on its loco model programme that we might see several of the renowned 'last quarter of C19th' express types get a model (Gladstone, Jumbo, 901  or Tennant, other singles various) but rather fear these have now 'missed the boat' as rising prices will reduce the likely market uptake to less than required for a sensible commercial return. So it may be that the Stirling single is 'it' for this category as far as RTR is concerned.

You might be right but small steam locomotives with inside cylinders might be cheaper to produce than large and spectacular models with complicated valve gear. Let’s hope!

My dream is to do a Singles night. With the Dean single, Caley Single and Stirling single dominating the railway with their shortish top link expresses. Helas, the former are poor - by modern standards - representations, while the latter has no coaches...

Hornby was fond of knocking out a few Deans and Caleys with improved mechanisms but they are only good for Railroad now. I would hope that the new Hornby, sensitive of its reputation after the “Design Clever” episode, will not try that again. A retooling might do well, with the market showing a taste for pre-grouping.

You might be right but small steam locomotives with inside cylinders might be cheaper to produce than large and spectacular models with complicated valve gear. Let’s hope!

And a small electric steeplecab loco would be even cheaper. And impossibly cute. And it would support the locals in NER-land. And, if done by Hornby, would reflect their heritage.

The NER ES1. It's an obvious next choice. Er... please?

Paul

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Midland Mole

Ahhh the agony! Do I put a deposit down on one of these or not...I cant decide!!!! :scratchhead:

Why does there have to be so much nice stuff coming out this year?!?!

- Alex

• RMweb Gold

Ahhh the agony! Do I put a deposit down on one of these or not...I cant decide!!!! :scratchhead:

Why does there have to be so much nice stuff coming out this year?!?!

- Alex

I stuck one down about 30 seconds after the announcement. If I manage to sell a bedsit before they're produced it'll be 2!

• Like 1

And a small electric steeplecab loco would be even cheaper. And impossibly cute. And it would support the locals in NER-land. And, if done by Hornby, would reflect their heritage.

The NER ES1. It's an obvious next choice. Er... please?

Paul

Or you could go for the English Electric Type 3B; a centre cab O/H electric with a number of industrial applications. :-)

• 1 month later...
Guest Midland Mole

I was speaking to Sandra at Locomotion Models a couple of days ago and the latest news she has is that hopefully they are due sometime in the summer.

Good to hear, very much looking forward to it. :)

Alex

Guest Midland Mole

Seen at Model Rail Scotland today and I instantly fell in love with it.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

It was the same with me, but at Warley. :)

Glad you like it! Just wait until you see the real thing ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Eagerly waiting! ;)

Alex