Railway Modeller May

Legend

• RMweb Premium

No one ever seems to bother writing up the good old Railway Modeller these days, so to redress the balance of all those Model Rail and BRM posts , here's whats in the new one

Moses Plat o Gauge Great Western / Western region attic layout

Little Dent N Gauge in a box

J50 Scale Drawings

Penna Lane TMD OO modern diesels with Tyne & Weir Metro

46'6" powered chassis for N

Pikes Pits 12mm NG mineral railway

Plan of the month :Derby Roundhouse

Horsley Bank 4mm Industrial

Kirkby Dale N Settle & Carlisle theme

7mm D16/3 Ace Products Kit

Talking Points: School layouts

OO Somerset & Dorset based railway

Modelling a small Yard

Point Rodding

All the usuals . Reviews of LNER J15/ K1, Bachmann Tube Wagon, Dapol Maunsells. Oh and includes Bachmanns 2015 announcements.

Always a good read. Seems to take me a lot more time to read through a Modeller than other mags

Good Editoral as well on "Can Hornby go it alone?" where Hornby think Direct sales will play a very significant part of its future and per Steve Flint somewhat lukewarm on traditional model shops . Lack of review samples also mentioned

A number of years ago I stopped getting RM because it seemed that it was over 50% adds and had become very focused on areas of non interest to me.  However, I picked up a copy of RM recently that had a DVD attached.  I have to say I was rather impressed, especially with the DVD, which I thought was one of the best "freebies" I have seen for a while.  It may simply be the extended break that makes it seem better but I think have to agree with the previous post that said they appeared to have picked up their game.

• RMweb Premium

I think the Toddler upped its game a few years ago. Some good photography,a fair range of layouts.its updated itself yet still feels familiar.like a pair of comfy slippers. Sit back with a glass of red and engross yourself

The features about making-up and detailing model kits (Yes, mainly PECO models, but why not! ;) ) are proving quite useful.

I think of them as improved instructions! Also, it gives an idea of what the kit is like, better than a closed box or bag!

This months Point Rodding is a case in point...the Wills kits do not have the most comprehensive instructions produced! ;)

The magazine is on my list for getting as soon as I get to the right shop!

The features about making-up and detailing model kits (Yes, mainly PECO models, but why not! ;) ) are proving quite useful.

I think of them as improved instructions! Also, it gives an idea of what the kit is like, better than a closed box or bag!

This months Point Rodding is a case in point...the Wills kits do not have the most comprehensive instructions produced! ;)

The magazine is on my list for getting as soon as I get to the right shop!

Well, I have now got hold of a copy.

The Point Rodding is part 1. Basic details and planning the rodding runs. As I intend to build a new version of Ffrwd Locks, and have been getting parts together and planning, this topic is very welcome. Plan Ahead is good.....

As to the "opinion piece" on  "Gauge Blindeness", I am not guilty!. Good ideas do bridge the scale divide.

I tend to flick through the magazines back to front, and try and guess the scale of the models. I am getting quite good too! (Yes, the couplings can helpp if visible! ;) )

The illustrated Deltics have their couplings quite visible...so the answer is "Yes, I can identify the scales. N in front of OO in front of O." ;)

• RMweb Premium

Quick question, When did railway modeller change it's tag line from "for the average modeller" to "at the heart of the hobby"

Jim

Try March 2008. Where have you been? Although it was 'At the heart of the hobby for over half a century' - presumably to celebrate their 50th anniversary.

So 7 years, since you last looked!

Point Rodding, reading through various blogs about experience using this product - there's a reference to thinning down the sq. rodding.  Can somebody put a micrometer on a piece from the kit and let us know what it measures please.
I've missed the intro., of this kit, even overlooked the article in RM, but apart from the length supplied - 1 metre or 2 metres - it does seem to be a useful addition. 

• RMweb Premium

I think that Steve Flint's editorial is worth a mention. It covers the same sort of ground as the recent "Tail lamp" in BRM.

However, the editorial in RM does it in an objective, thoughtful and distinctly better balanced way.

It describes Hornby's new marketing policies and questions whether they are a good move without feeling the need to show any great bias for or against or turning into a Hornby bashing piece.

That is much more how I like to see model railway journalism being done. 

I haven't bought RM for quite a while but I picked up a copy mainly because of the J50 article as I have a kit to build. Although I later realised it was a reprint of an article that I already have, I was very impressed with the magazine as a whole. Quite a diverse issue and more importantly practical articles such as the D16 and point rodding. The standard of layouts is high as well. If that's the standard RM is now then I can see me buying it much more regularly.

Jason.

I have got a magazine mountain at home dating back to the 1960s so I don't often buy one now. Peter Hollins is a member of the Purbeck Model Railway Group as I am. The main reason that I bought the May Railway Modeller was to read his article about Pike's Pits. Steve Flint came down to Furzebrook Village Hall, where we used to meet, to take the excellent photographs. I have also known George Moon for a long time but I had no idea that he had been modelling Pike's tramway with his late father. I have always found that the Railway Modeller treats its contributors very well. Ingrid Rose is also very good with her information about societies and clubs.

There was an argument at the model club as to which magazine had the most editorial content.

The answer was none.  They all have the same  (within a page or two and varying slightly from month to month).

Where the Railway Modeller DOES score is that the editorial content isn't interrupted by pages of adverts- those are all at the ends.  Other editors please note- those ads in the middle may gain you revenue but probably cost you readers.  Certainly opinion in our club was they are disliked.

Les

Quick question, When did railway modeller change it's tag line from "for the average modeller" to "at the heart of the hobby"

Jim

I think it may have been for their diamond jubilee year in 2009. That was when I noticed anyway. Besides, the proper slogan is "For the average enthusiast" :).

Archived