Ellesmere North (W.Region 1957)

coachmann

• RMweb Gold

They came in two wheels sizes (5' 3" and 5' 8") under numerous number series : 31XX 41XX, 51XX 61XX and 81XX. The 61XX were designed for the london area but the rest were on various parts of the Western Region. 31XX had smaller 5' 3" drivers.

I frequently saw 8104 ( 87A-Neath ) work the Vale of Neath line during the 1950's on various pasenger turns,the 8:35 off Aberdare High Level to Pontypool Road ...spotted before school from the Gadlys footbridge as she coasted down the bank from her Llwydcoed Halt stop ... being a regular turn.  86G...Pontypool Road also had 41XX which worked the line The 31XX which you mention worked a turn regularly on a Newport-Porthcawl stopper.Sad to reflect that both these lines are but a memory.

• RMweb Gold

The Manors were split chassis.....in fact I don't think they have been updated. I have two Manors and a split chassis Mogul. All must be almost 20 years old and still do regular turns on Granby......excellent runners......which is more than can be said for the two 61xx I had.....both were extremely unreliable and I do agree with your "plasticky" comment

I would like to thank the members who follow this thread and kindly posted a list of colour albums covering Western Region steam. Most albums on the lists arrived today and a quick perusal indicates they are all good 'uns.

How are you doing your Fiddle Yard Coach?

Fiddle Yard is a plain old fan with the longest tracks for steel works trains and the very shortest for the WR auto trains. It was put down right at the start (but not pinned) so that I could judge how much space was available for Bangor On Dee. That station space is fixed, hence all the juggling about with the goods yard. I realise there exist all sorts of clever ideas for fiddle yards but simplicity is the keyword........... Locos will be manhandled onto the other end of each train in readiness for departure. It is covered in newspaper and scenic materials because I am running out of 'workspace'.

A fine-looking train!

I love the loco!  The engine was put up for transfer from Grantham and how could I refuse. Thanks LNER4479. The condition of the paintwork looks so convincingly natural, I have refused to allow the C13 to work over the Cheshire plains from Chester Northgate to Manchester in case Gorton seizes it and puts it through the paint shop!  :declare:

North of the station spreads the buildings out as they would be in a countryside station where space was not an issue.

Thanks for that and I agree completely. The thing is, capturing the rural appearance of the line is paramount and that shed outside the station is where I didn't really want a building. However, it works best in that position from an operational point of view that it will in fact go there. Incoming coal on the Down will be easy to drop off along with goods wagons. Cattle movements on the other hand will be mostly outward bound from Ellesmere and so the dock will go behind the station close by the yard entrance and be served by Up trains.

Archived