The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

gismorail

I am currently building a new model railway 'studio' (posh is'nt it) with a separate workshop. Whilst working out what's going to go where the it occurred to me that it would be nice to have a sound / entertainment system installed into the room ( well I'm going to be spending a lot of my life in there aren't I ........)

It got me thinking as to what type of music my fellow railway modellers listen too whilst modelling ?

For me its Heavy Rock , Deep Purple / Led Zepp / Sabbath / Guns and Roses / good head banging stuff . In more recent times I have been listening to DAB radio where I can enjoy 'Plannet Rock ' and Team Rock' which gives me an unlimited dose of my addiction .........

Answers on a post card ........... :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

While building Sheffield Exchange I have been mainly listing to Hillbilly Moon Explosion, One-eyed Doll, Action Pact, The Clash, Sleater-Kinney, and Pantones. Along with various punk, Oi!, roit grrl, rockabilly, shoe gaze and goth bands.

• RMweb Premium

Here are my top twenty songs for appropriate modelling moments:

1. “Analogue”, a-Ha - for when I’m testing a new loco on DC.

2. “Mission Impossible” Theme - for when I’m attempting to built something that’s utterly impossible.

3. “Cryin’ ”, Aerosmith - for when the utterly impossible something becomes a complete failure.

4. “I Go To Extremes”, Billy Joel - for when I’m putting on all those fine details, that one can’t see from Normal Viewing Distance.

5. “Money Can't Buy It”, Annie Lennox - for when I’m scratch-building something that isn’t available in a blue or red box.

6. “Moanin’ ”, Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - because what I’m scratch-building is not available in a blue or red box.

7. “Dancing In The Street”, Atomic Kitten - for when I actually complete a model (including painting).

8. “The Road Not Taken”, Bruce Hornsby - for when I start wondering why I didn’t just make life simpler by modelling in 00.

9. “Don't Panic”, Coldplay - when an exhibition deadline is getting uncomfortably close.

10. “Everybody Hurts”, R.E.M. - for when I’ve just cut myself with a new scalpel blade.

11. “Precious”, Depeche Mode - for when I’m down to my last axle box casting, and I don’t want it to spring out of the tweezers and fall to the floor.

12. “I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For”, U2 - for when I’m down on my hands & knees, looking for that last axle box casting!

13. “This Land Is Your Land”, Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings - this is the national anthem of my fictional layout, and takes care of Rule No. 1.

14. “Keep Looking” Sade - for when I’m still on my hands & knees …

15. “Locomotive Breath”, Jethro Tull - for modelling steam engines, obviously.

16. “I Got My Mojo Working”, Jimmy Smith - this can either be inspirational or ironic.

17. “Driving The Last Spike”, Genesis - this keeps me going through seemingly endless track building.

18. “Chaos”, Herbert Grönemeyer - for when the workbench clutter finally brings work to a standstill because I can’t find what I need.

19. “The Last Laugh”, Mark Knopfler - the carpet monster has won and I give up looking for that last axle box casting.

20. “Burn It Down”, Linkin Park - for when I get fed up with the layout and start getting ideas about building a new one.

• RMweb Premium

While building Sheffield Exchange I have been mainly listing to Hillbilly Moon Explosion, One-eyed Doll, Action Pact, The Clash, Sleater-Kinney, and Pantones. Along with various punk, Oi!, roit grrl, rockabilly, shoe gaze and goth bands.

:danced: :danced: :danced: :danced: :danced: :danced: :danced: :danced:

Now we's tawkin" YEAH...

• 5 weeks later...

For me its Planet Rock, now the U.K.'s fastest growing Radio Station according to the blurb yesterday. unless I need to think about something important as I was when track planning, then it was Radio Peace and Quiet, the off switch.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andy you old rocker you .........just like me  :banghead: (Headbanger) 

Yeah, we'll have to get together and do some serious head banging when I come down to Bala in November. hhahahhaha

I tend to download songs at random from itunes, they go on the ipod and appear now and again, I have everything from classics to Matt Munro, Traveling Wilburys, Slade, Black Sabbath, in fact if you can name it, I probably have it !

Last lot I downloaded included Hermans Hermits, Dave Clark Five and the Honeycombs !

• RMweb Premium

For me its Planet Rock, now the U.K.'s fastest growing Radio Station according to the blurb yesterday. unless I need to think about something important as I was when track planning, then it was Radio Peace and Quiet, the off switch.

I'm with you Andy

Terry

Archived