Odd wagons of the UK

844fan

21 hours ago, Simon Bendall said:

These are different wagons, originally used for Pedigree petfoord traffic from Melton Mowbray. DRS used some for a month-long milk trial but only one was loaded. Charterail

Wow, I'd never even heard of that until now. It looks like yet another failed intermodal concept to add to all the others.

Charterail

Charterail 08829

By Richard

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

12 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Wow, I'd never even heard of that until now. It looks like yet another failed intermodal concept to add to all the others.

Charterail

Charterail 08829

By Richard

It did not fail it was the company that was formed that did but government stupidity did not allow a way forward to keep the traffic on rail and as such went to road!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Internal user wagon at Desford Colliery 1983 ex-LNER diag 207 Loco coal wagon according to some random guy on the the internet. ;)

AB102-022 AB102-023

By Jamrail

The rest of the train seems to have some interesting types as well. Two different types of GWR Loco Coal for a start.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Are they for some sort of rubber tyre drive ?

Possibly, although there are no directional scars. If I recall correctly, the MGR hoppers often had rubber deposits along the top edge from some kind off guide wheel in the rapid loading towers. 

The bucket on a dirt can was a gravity fit and perhaps this was to ensure they didn't shift during loading under a particularly tight set of screens. They would not have helped the unloading process. It is possible that they were moving a particularly sloppy mix of coal waste and water and allowed them to be filled to full capacity.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Positioned where they are, the boards are largely below the lip of the skip - so unless there was a mechanism for raising them, they'd have a limited effect on capacity.

Agreed. They would prevent the overfill slopping down the sides and on to the running gear. Perhaps they were not a permanent addition and the extra depth counter balanced metal bars which hooked over the top rail and down the inside of the skip. Another possibility is that they have something to do with the emptying process. These unloved wagons had a habit of losing their skip at any opportunity to embarrass the shunter. The dirt run out to Fairburn had several abandoned examples pushed out into the weeds by the payloader. Perhaps these were intended to empty at a fixed discharge point and the bargeboard prevented the skip from rotating beyond the horizontal. Whilst most if not all the Yorkshire examples were used for waste tipping ( and the transfer of coal to stockpiles) I think I have read the Kent area also used them for regular internal coal traffic. Any information welcome!

Edited by doilum
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Leyton Depot 1981 by Jamerail

"Note that the wagon in the foreground is a conversion from the rare 21T cupboard door mineral wagons" 

21T Min [A881B-036]

Should be on the 'When the real thing looks like a model thread'

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

"Note that the wagon in the foreground is a conversion from the rare 21T cupboard door mineral wagons" 

21T Min [A881B-036]

Actually an ex-LNER loco coal wagon, rather than a common mineral wagon.

Cupboard doors, favoured by some Scottish wagon owners were provided for in the RCH standard designs, but I am not aware of any 20/21T versions, only 12/13T wagons.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

I remember that very wagon there. Photographed it in 1978 (slide film and the slide scanner's been on the blink, sorry).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

I remember that very wagon there. Photographed it in 1978 (slide film and the slide scanner's been on the blink, sorry).

Also at Leyton 1979  https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lnermineral/e648cb17

and Cond at Tinsley, presumably on its way to a scrap yard in 1983 https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lnermineral/e1febb4d7

Paul

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

11 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

44059 should have been a 1937 built L.M.S. dia.1994 tanker - and that's certainly what it looks like ....... so why the 'W' prefix ?

It appears to follow the coaching stock practice of changing the prefix when stock was transferred between regions.

• Agree 2