Whittaker St, Western Region

Andrew P

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy,

Barnstaple Junction would make a decent model, or your version based upon the principle.

The Blue Circle depot was operational into the 80's and a few sidings. There was also the China clay traffic passing through from Meeth, steel work to Apledore shipyard and supplies to RAF Chivenor. Finally parcels into the old LSWR timber goods shed. One operational platform with typically short trains, with passenger services terminating here, but goods traffic (as above) passing through. You could still run a few specials to suit, with at least two visits from an HST!

If you want any photos of the station building, as this the only remaining structure, let me know....

Hi Andy,

Barnstaple Junction would make a decent model, or your version based upon the principle.

The Blue Circle depot was operational into the 80's and a few sidings. There was also the China clay traffic passing through from Meeth, steel work to Apledore shipyard and supplies to RAF Chivenor. Finally parcels into the old LSWR timber goods shed. One operational platform with typically short trains, with passenger services terminating here, but goods traffic (as above) passing through. You could still run a few specials to suit, with at least two visits from an HST!

If you want any photos of the station building, as this the only remaining structure, let me know....

Hi Richard, Thanks for the offer of Photos but once again I have NO intention of going down the Prototype route, and as I already have the Modern Station Building and Red Star office as shown on the previous page. Whittaker St will still be a Terminus to make it interesting for Shunting.

The traffic flows look very interesting with lots of variety.

Elements of Barnstaple Victoria and Bodmin General.

attachicon.gifFile2010.jpg

Thanks Peter, that's nice plan I will see if the old curved Bitton Platform will fit, but I see you've still managed to get in  a massive 20 point motors, hahah.

I like the curved platform but they seem to take a lot of room.

I will have an hour or so in the shed in the morning and a play with some more track, but as the Old Lag said as they unlocked the Gates; I going strait now Guv. :no: 

Here is a slightly adapted version of Pete's plan, done in Anyrail. The line down the middle marks board seperation. I have brought it down to 9 sets of points - 1x 3 way point, 2x double slip, 1x single slip, and the other 5 are Peco Medium radius points. The pink track is to represent overgrown track.

post-25748-0-10838100-1431484273_thumb.jpg

Thanks all, I now have a Plan :O .

Whittaker St was re built during the 1960's and a lot of Track Rationalisation was done due to the reduced Passenger Services and the increase in Freight down the Branch.  

Here is he revised Track Plan, (and I know some people don't like strait Platforms but its saving a lot of space and opening out the Layout and looking less crammed).

post-9335-0-38395000-1431512309_thumb.png

The first Tracks have been laid.

post-9335-0-40559100-1431512340_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-60789000-1431512354_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-23120700-1431512364_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-14757900-1431512373_thumb.jpg

Looks much better.

What sort of freight facility is down the freight only line ?

Whatever I decide on the day Rob, It may be MOD, or Engineers, or China Clay Hoods, or Silver Bullets or Pollybulks or Oil, :O  Whow knows? Rule 1 now applies :no: .

Cheers.

P.S. No passenger services though, as there will be no access to the Platforms,

• RMweb Gold

I like the plan you can have arrivals and departures while the shunting is going on. I know you have built the platforms already but one answer is to make them slightly tapeing to the end this means the tracks are not dead parralle can have a slight curve without wasting a lot of space.

Don

I like the plan you can have arrivals and departures while the shunting is going on. I know you have built the platforms already but one answer is to make them slightly tapeing to the end this means the tracks are not dead parralle can have a slight curve without wasting a lot of space.

Don

Hi Don, I've had a look at putting a small curvature into the Bay side of the Platform and it just about looks possible as its built onto a plank of wood but I agree, it will look a bit better.

I would have liked it all curved and even tried the old Platforms from Bitton but it just took up to much room on the board and anyway I fancied a strait one as it suits the Station Building better in my opinion.

O.K. I have had to do a very small mod to the plan as the track curvature to the Freight Only Branch was to severe and the run round loop a bit restricted. I have also fitted a short Headshunt to the Loop above the Oil Depot to avoid running back onto the Main Line.

All the Re Alignment is shown in Blue.

post-9335-0-12230900-1431549506_thumb.png

post-9335-0-18066600-1431549529_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-20553900-1431549540_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-88898000-1431549553_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-69426700-1431549567_thumb.jpg

No changing again now, as nearly all the Magnets are in, and track prepared ready to go down on Friday.

Archived