Whittaker St, Western Region

Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

O.K. I have had to do a very small mod to the plan as the track curvature to the Freight Only Branch was to severe and the run round loop a bit restricted. I have also fitted a short Headshunt to the Loop above the Oil Depot to avoid running back onto the Main Line.

All the Re Alignment is shown in Blue.

attachicon.gifNEW WHITTAKER STREET PLAN.png

attachicon.gifTRACK LAYING 001.JPG

attachicon.gifTRACK LAYING 002.JPG

attachicon.gifTRACK LAYING 003.JPG

attachicon.gifTRACK LAYING 004.JPG

No changing again now, as nearly all the Magnets are in, and track prepared ready to go down on Friday.

I have had a little thought.

How about changing it to a through station with a curved platform with a nice single slip to the goods yard ........

I will collect my hat and coat later SLAM!!!!!!!

At some stage in any design work you just have to say that's it I go with that. I think you have got there.

Don

Thats exactly what I did with Dunoon. Got up to the 15th track layout, and said no stuff this im using this one, went out purchased all the track and went and glued down the first sets of points. I have no regrets.

Peter

I have had a little thought.

How about changing it to a through station with a curved platform with a nice single slip to the goods yard ........

I will collect my hat and coat later SLAM!!!!!!!

Shall I order the taxi Clive LOL!!

As was mentioned a few posts back, you can spend so long fiddling with track plans constantly trying to make improvements... adding a bit here, changing a bit there, that you can become jaded with the whole thing. I certainly have in the past. There comes a time when you just have to build the damn thing or it will never get done.

You mentioned magnets, Andy. What's your uncoupling method?

As was mentioned a few posts back, you can spend so long fiddling with track plans constantly trying to make improvements... adding a bit here, changing a bit there, that you can become jaded with the whole thing. I certainly have in the past. There comes a time when you just have to build the damn thing or it will never get done.

You mentioned magnets, Andy. What's your uncoupling method?

Hi Pete, I use Kadee's and now have some smaller Magnets the I put into the cork under the sleepers. I got 40 from China for about £6-80 with FREE postage.

These are the Magnets fitted under the track on Bitton, once ballasted they cant be seen

post-9335-0-66904600-1431588112_thumb.jpg

Hi Pete, I use Kadee's and now have some smaller Magnets the I put into the cork under the sleepers. I got 40 from China for about £6-80 with FREE postage.

These are the Magnets fitted under the track on Bitton, once ballasted they cant be seen

attachicon.gifMagnet Videos 002 - Copy.JPG

What type of magnets do you use? I will be using Kadees on Dunoon, but can't for the life of me find any magnets other than specific Kadee ones.

Peter

I like the look of the new layout Andy, but could I just suggest something. The Fourth track down on your plan looks like it will be were the freight trains arrive. Would it be better to extend that siding so that longer trains can fit. It does mean an extra point though. 

The freight can then arrive and pull up to the blocks and the shunt loco can come onto the back and pull down the headshunt and start shunting the train.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Shall I order the taxi Clive LOL!!

I have my run away legs on. :locomotive:

Serious head on now. Who agrees with me that "The committee to help desgin Mr Ps train set" should be disbanded and let him get on with it now. I hope some of the suggestions put forward have helped Andy and it has not been a case of too many cooks spoil the broth.

Serious head on now. Who agrees with me that "The committee to help desgin Mr Ps train set" should be disbanded and let him get on with it now. I hope some of the suggestions put forward have helped Andy and it has not been a case of too many cooks spoil the broth.

I have to agree with you Clive. Fortunately I've stayed out of it (for a change)

Spot on Clive, IMHO too much information, no doubt offered with the best intentions, ended up with overload and confusion resulting in the demise of 'Bitton'. Look at the bottom of Andy's posts and see the number of successful layouts, many published, that he has produced!!! Cutting him some space would seem appropriate now!

Kind regards,

Jock.

What type of magnets do you use? I will be using Kadees on Dunoon, but can't for the life of me find any magnets other than specific Kadee ones.

Peter

Are you using two for each location?

Yes two Magnets for each one, here is the E-bay link, (I hope it works).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191253701926?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I like the look of the new layout Andy, but could I just suggest something. The Fourth track down on your plan looks like it will be were the freight trains arrive. Would it be better to extend that siding so that longer trains can fit. It does mean an extra point though. 

The freight can then arrive and pull up to the blocks and the shunt loco can come onto the back and pull down the headshunt and start shunting the train.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks for that Peter, but its longer than the Fiddle yard but I will have another look.

Cheers.

I'm keeping stum..... :sungum:

I have to agree with you Clive. Fortunately I've stayed out of it (for a change)

Yep, no more ideas from me

Crack on time !

Spot on Clive, IMHO too much information, no doubt offered with the best intentions, ended up with overload and confusion resulting in the demise of 'Bitton'. Look at the bottom of Andy's posts and see the number of successful layouts, many published, that he has produced!!! Cutting him some space would seem appropriate now!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Cheers Gang, All you input has been appreciated, even though some of it was a bit ambitious for me. lots of nice ideas and when I got the PM from two constant posters saying the same thing within a few minutes of each other I knew it was all going pear shaped. I was then looking through an old mag with an article on Railway infrastructure and the track plan was just as I've reproduced for the loops and sidings off, so I knew it would look more prototypical than my previous efforts that was trying to cram it all in on the curve. I just added the Station along theback and it all seemed to suit what I was looking for with a better balance between Goods and Passenger facilities. 

It seems to be working now.

Cheers again all.

Hi Andy

The track layout looks great and it's nice to see the layout coming along. With the magnets you have chosen can you get the same problems as the large Kadee undertrack magnet, that is uncommanded uncoupling or pulling vehicles back on to the magnet once uncoupled?

If not, these seem to be the ideal way forward.

Avidly waiting for more installments.

Hi Andy

The track layout looks great and it's nice to see the layout coming along. With the magnets you have chosen can you get the same problems as the large Kadee undertrack magnet, that is uncommanded uncoupling or pulling vehicles back on to the magnet once uncoupled?

If not, these seem to be the ideal way forward.

Avidly waiting for more installments.

Good Morning Andy, Yes the same problems arise if the vehicles are very light, with about 3 Bogie Wagons its not so bad, I may need to add a little weight to some though. When pulling through its OK 99% of the time, but if you have a jerky Loco that's when there likely to uncouple if going slow, but with a gentle constant pull there OK. One way around it is to do a bit of trial and error and move the Magnets out a bit so that the pull is less prominent.

All the best.

Good Morning Andy, Yes the same problems arise if the vehicles are very light, with about 3 Bogie Wagons its not so bad, I may need to add a little weight to some though. When pulling through its OK 99% of the time, but if you have a jerky Loco that's when there likely to uncouple if going slow, but with a gentle constant pull there OK. One way around it is to do a bit of trial and error and move the Magnets out a bit so that the pull is less prominent.

All the best.

Hi Andy(s)

My mate Allan who has 'Melwood' (clever sod that he is) had that problem, he has screwed a thin spring steel wire across the two axles which just keep enough pressure on to prevent any movement. When at shows several people in the know have asked how the wagons stay put, we show them the underside and they all say 'that's clever'!

I remain to be convinced with Kaydee's, I do think they are an excellent solution at exhibition but at home I prefer a shunter's pole - old paintbrush with bent bit of wire stuck in it ! hahaha

Very quiet my end Andy, still really busy so something has to give, probably me.

• RMweb Premium

Looks like your new project is coming along nicely Andy. Don't know how I missed it until now.

Great to see you having fun! That's where it's at mate!

Good luck with this, regards Shaun.

Archived