Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Collett 'Bow Ended' Standard 57' Corridor Stock Coaches for 2016

Graham_Muz

Although GWR trussrods tended to be the same over a long period, batterybox size and position varied and kitchen diners tended to be a law onto themselves when space was needed for gas cylinders. As regards catering vehicle viability, modellers appear to like them but on real railways they were only used where time and distance indicated they were needed. Another coach to the 1924-29 profile was the 'Ocean Mails'.............Goodness knows why, but we sold hundreds of them! I had Letraset print a boxload of a particular typefact in gold to special order so I could letter these vans, but I was mighty relieved when Peter Chatham eventually produced the correct shaded transfers.

• RMweb Gold

Of course in this case the catering vehicle gets more complicated as Hornby would need to tool up two models (the as built that's currently in the railroad range and the rebuilt for post war gw and any BR livery.)

Shortened Comet etches on the new Hornby body should be a simple enough job for those looking for a dining option...

• RMweb Gold

Of course in this case the catering vehicle gets more complicated as Hornby would need to tool up two models (the as built that's currently in the railroad range and the rebuilt for post war gw and any BR livery.)

That's by no means confined to GWR Dining vehicles, the general suspension of on-train catering during WW2 meant that all companies will have needed to overhaul the relevant vehicles before such services could resume afterwards.

The SR applied a wide range of modifications and conversions to Maunsell Restaurant Cars post-war, which may have deterred Hornby from adding one to their range.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Premium

Fantastic news from Hornby!! We are pretty desperate for good GWR RTR coaches to modern standards, I know Hornby did their excellent Hawksworth stock but they entered service too late for GWR modellers and were BR Western Region coaches in reality. We have a wide range of wonderful GWR locomotives which have been crying out for passenger stock of an equivalent standard, so well done Hornby!! As well, given the seemingly increasingly locomotive centric nature of new tooling projects it is great to see that coaches are still on the menu.

• Like 2

Well done Hornby- Collett Bow Enders at last! I will be buying several in Great Western and hopefully later shirt button liveries. Could anyone knowledgeable in coaching matters indicate for my ( and probably many others too) benefit what the standard configurations were? I understand that Hornby is producing 5 types. Is it possible to put together a correct formation with 5 types and if not, what is still needed,? Perhaps we should start building comet kits now to " fill in". My recollection. Is that these coaches were used in the Bristolian and the Cheltenham Spa Express too. I have been surprised that no author ( other than Beckett- which is mighty complicated and detailed ) has produced a simple guide together of GWR/ WR standard coach formations for the modeler

Regards

Brian Patterson

Well done Hornby- Collett Bow Enders at last! I will be buying several in Great Western and hopefully later shirt button liveries. Could anyone knowledgeable in coaching matters indicate for my ( and probably many others too) benefit what the standard configurations were? I understand that Hornby is producing 5 types. Is it possible to put together a correct formation with 5 types and if not, what is still needed,? Perhaps we should start building comet kits now to " fill in". My recollection. Is that these coaches were used in the Bristolian and the Cheltenham Spa Express too. I have been surprised that no author ( other than Beckett- which is mighty complicated and detailed ) has produced a simple guide together of GWR/ WR standard coach formations for the modeler

As has always been the case, a study of photographs pays dividends. It is research we can all do. Learn to identify individual coaches by their window configurations so that they can be identified in photos of trains. Coaches are my main interest and it is how I did/do it.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2

I have been surprised that no author ( other than Beckett- which is mighty complicated and detailed ) has produced a simple guide together of GWR/ WR standard coach formations for the modeler

Regards

Brian Patterson

Probably as there appears to no standard formation in GWR trains. They changed the planned formation based on local/daily conditions.  It is rare to find a complete train of 1925 stock.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1

Well done Hornby, and hopefully we'll only have to wait around 12-18 months to get 'em. I hope to buy  3 or 4 to insert between other types. Plus I won't spend time on the Phoenix kit I wasn't looking forward to building.

Colin

Shortened Comet etches on the new Hornby body should be a simple enough job for those looking for a dining option...

All four H33 diners received the refurbishment and new windows under the Government Loan Scheme between 1937 and 1940 so Hornby could get away with one tooling.

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Premium

Can I make a suggestion to everyone talking about a certain GWR livery... tell Hornby... I tweeted them yesterday asking for the GWR Roundel livery. Social media being what it is these days, its a very powerful way of talking to a company. I also suspect with Hornbys current open-ness they will respond.

Might not make a difference, but at least they have heard my comments.

Regards, Neal.

• Like 2

Can I make a suggestion to everyone talking about a certain GWR livery... tell Hornby... I tweeted them yesterday asking for the GWR Roundel livery. Social media being what it is these days, its a very powerful way of talking to a company. I also suspect with Hornbys current open-ness they will respond.

Might not make a difference, but at least they have heard my comments.

Regards, Neal.

How hard it is to remove the twin-shield coat of arms and replace it with a roundel?    :scratchhead:

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

oh *ugger!

I've got 25 kits of the things to build.

Fortunately some of them are 70 footers.

I guess that I'll have to make them for "the joy of building"!

And you think you have a build decison!!!!!!!!!!!

attachicon.gif1925 stock.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

I'd forgotten a few 'Westdale' wrappers and Comet sides in stock!

I'm in the same boat (I'm happy to say). Anyone interested in a couple of dozen unmade BSL/Comet/Westdale kits?

I just sold some loco kits that are being issued by Hby and Bach to rather lower prices that had been hoped. I reckon that any coach kits would go the same way!

• RMweb Gold

Just back from a trip away to find this very pleasing news.  Exciting stuff!  Let's welcome it with open arms. Thanks Hornby, and thanks to all RMWeb 'lobbyists' for GW stock.  Like others I feel there's a good chance of a further variant or two, but I'm certain that over the years there'll be all possible livery variations (except perhaps for original pseudo-panel painting?).  The ex-Airfix B-set for instance has appeared in pre-1934 crest (latest incarnation with double lining), shirt button totem, post-war 'Great (crest) Western'. and BR liveries. Depending on period many of us can run at least two livery variants for variety. So I see these selling well over a number of years, sales that might encourage both Hornby and other manufacturers to continue feeding what I think is a strong demand for GW rolling stock.  We just need to stop putting them off by moaning about the price!

John C.

• Like 1

At least with these and Bachmann's 60ft Collett coaches we can now model the mixed rakes that were common the GWR, even more so if modelling the post nationalisation scene with Hornby Hawksworth coaches added to the mix.

Me, I'll certainly be buying all the BR coaches and probably the GWR ones as well, perhaps with additional all thirds, although not necessarily running them in unmixed rakes.

Dean 

Truly exciting!

I'll be adding a few to my existing fleet of GWR & BR coaches for sure!

All we need now are some updated Bachy Collett's!

I wonder if these sell well enough, Hornby would be interested in doing the 70' version?  *dreaming*

• RMweb Gold

Kernow model Centre have also announced that that they are available to pre order already on their website. If at least 4 are ordered get £1 discount off each and loyalty points too! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kernow-Model-Rail-Centre/207521425956079?fref=nf 

If you open an account with them there's the facility for spreading the cost on purchases by adding funds to your account on a regular basis if you so wish.A good idea when a rake is nearly 200 sheets.That's without their 1361 and railmotor !

• Like 1

And you think you have a build decison!!!!!!!!!!!

attachicon.gif1925 stock.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

I didn't like the mix of materials in the Phoenix kits which is why I only bought one to see how I got on with it - you obviously like them!! I might still try it but it will be behind the Dreadnoughts, Toplights, etc. Most GWR/WR trains seemed to contain an eclectic mix of stock. The Hornby bow enders will increase the rtr options available.

Looking forward to that Railmotor ! :)

Trouble is I've still got the Blacksmith kit to finish :( Not keen on doing that valve gear though hmmmm

Oh well happy modelling as ever :)