Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Collett 'Bow Ended' Standard 57' Corridor Stock Coaches for 2016

Graham_Muz

Does anyone think Hornby will re-release these coaches in the same livery?  They've gone incredibly quickly and the re-release would probably sell well too.  I'm on the lookout for the two 1st class coaches although I have the other 3.  I could do with another 3rd class composite to extend my rake a little.

Edited by GWR8700

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone think Hornby will re-release these coaches in the same livery? They've gone incredibly quickly and the re-release would probably sell well too. I'm on the lookout for the two 1st class coaches although I have the other 3. I could do with another 3rd class composite to extend my rake a little.

I would say keep an eye out for next years range. Given the way the first batch sold, I'd say a re release next year is a pretty good chance. They did that with the Maunsells when they first came out.

It can't be long till the Bristolian coaches become available in the shirtbutton livery.

I think you will find that the Bristolian was introduced in 1935 to mark the centenary of the GWR and was formed of sunshine stock.  I say 'think' because I tried googling the Bristolian a while back and found nothing but entries for a bistro - a good one, mind, but a bistro nonetheless.

Chris

In 1935, an express named train would be of high-waisted stock. It could not have been otherwise seeing as low-waist coaches, sometimes referred to as Sunshine Stock, were not introduced until the following year.  But I doubt it would be the 1920's Bow-Ended stock as produced by Hornby. Wider and longer bow-ended coaches followed the 1920's coaches but with recessed door handles. Then from around 1931 through 1935 by flat -ended stock with normal grab handles but straight grab handles (not 'G' handles).

Edited by coachmann

I didn't say they were the Hornby versions of Collett coaches.

I did not say you did. But this thread is about the Hornby Colletts and there are some contributors who have been looking for clarification on the the Hornby Bristolian set.

On Fridays the Bristolian had extra coaches which could be from any era.

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Premium

To mark the centenary of the opening, in 1835, of the Great Western main line between Paddington and Bristol, the GWR’s management decided to create a new express service linking London and Bristol. The non-stop service was normally comprised of seven coaches, initially being Collet Bow-Ended stock, comprising two third class brakes, three composites, a third and, in the centre, a buffet car.

The first months of the service saw it being hauled by a ‘King’ class locomotive but it soon became apparent that a ‘Castle’ class was more than capable of the task, it was to be 1954 before the ‘Kings’ returned to the service.
Departure from Paddington was at 10:00am, with Bristol being reached at 11:45am and the return leg commenced at 4:30pm, arriving back at Paddington for 6:15pm, the average speed being just over 67mph for the two legs of the journey. Whilst ‘Bristolian’ roof boards were fitted from the outset, a headboard did not feature until 1953.

To mark the centenary of the opening, in 1835, of the Great Western main line between Paddington and Bristol

Not quite...........the GWR received its Act of Parliament on 31 August 1835 and ran its first trains in 1838. It only opened all the way from Paddington to Bristol on 30 June 1841.

To mark the centenary of the opening, in 1835, of the Great Western main line between Paddington and Bristol, the GWR’s management decided to create a new express service linking London and Bristol. The non-stop service was normally comprised of seven coaches, initially being Collet Bow-Ended stock, comprising two third class brakes, three composites, a third and, in the centre, a buffet car.

The first months of the service saw it being hauled by a ‘King’ class locomotive but it soon became apparent that a ‘Castle’ class was more than capable of the task, it was to be 1954 before the ‘Kings’ returned to the service.

Departure from Paddington was at 10:00am, with Bristol being reached at 11:45am and the return leg commenced at 4:30pm, arriving back at Paddington for 6:15pm, the average speed being just over 67mph for the two legs of the journey. Whilst ‘Bristolian’ roof boards were fitted from the outset, a headboard did not feature until 1953.

You had more luck with Google than I did ...

Chris

• RMweb Gold

On which sort of services would the two lengths of Collett coaches be rostered? Did they tend to be all 57ft and all 70ft or mixed?

I suppose that the same question might be put regarding the different length 'Toplights'.

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone think Hornby will re-release these coaches in the same livery?  They've gone incredibly quickly and the re-release would probably sell well too.  I'm on the lookout for the two 1st class coaches although I have the other 3.  I could do with another 3rd class composite to extend my rake a little.

Good luck with that- the range didn't include any firsts. And what is a third class composite?

On which sort of services would the two lengths of Collett coaches be rostered? Did they tend to be all 57ft and all 70ft or mixed?

I suppose that the same question might be put regarding the different length 'Toplights'.

From previous posts it seems that the GWR used to mix things up quite a bit. No effort seems to be have been made (except on premier services) to stick to one type of coach. The important thing was to have the correct number of seats for the bums expected

One limitation to add to the above is the 70' coaches were barred from certain routes and lines. Another complicating factor with the 70 foot 'Collett' stock was some had flat ends and LNWR corridor connections, some had one flat and one bow end, the latter having a 'Gresley' type corridor connection and possibly a buckeye coupler. I believe they were mainly located in South Wales. Eventually the GWR settled on bow ends and British (LNWR) corridor connections.

• RMweb Gold

Definitely some workings in 1947 which had a mix of both lengths, the carriage working booklet for through trains lists the length when a 70ft is specified. I know there is at least one Paddington to Penzance service in there which has one 70ft break with the rest shorter Edited by The Fatadder

From previous posts it seems that the GWR used to mi.x things up quite a bit. No effort seems to be have been made (except on premier services) to stick to one type of coach. The important thing was to have the correct number of seats for the bums expected

Pull any book on the GWR off a bookshelf and look at the passenger train photographs, particularly those on main lines. Unless it's an official GWR publicity shot, the coaches will almost certainly be a varied collection of sometimes very different ages. It seems only some branch and suburban coaches ever stayed in the sets they were originally part of, and even a branch train had odd extra coaches (sometimes though 'through' coaches were added to branch trains which would obviously be different). On the main line it seems trains were made up of whatever coaches were available from the sidings.

Three of the diagrams used in the Bristolian train at one time were a C70 third,E151 composite and a D121 brake third.

As Rob says these were the usual coaches.

Formation being D121, C70, E151, H41, E151, E151, D121. Sometimes there was an extra coach on the back of the up working, usually a Friday which could be anything. There is a toplight in one image I have seen.

Other substitutions are an A20 or another C70 in place of one of the E151.

All are available.....but only as kits/sides. BUT they can all be produced as replacement sides on Bachmann Colletts.

Mike Wiltshire