Jessy1692's bits & pieces- Coaching stock and wagon bashing stuff with the odd loco

Evening all, been working as best I can from home, not ideal sorting bovine genomic samples from the sofa but hey ho, less to do when I'm allowed back in the office. Fingers crossed for a negative test tomorrow and Sunday.

20220318_184903.jpg.4b53f40626a567799c6ad0f4dc960d73.jpg20220318_185558.jpg.1c85f6e8235e21a91f8f439908ad4936.jpg

Clocked off this aft and got the grey done on the TEA'S and a second coat of varnish on transfer sheets for these. Brushed some red on the solebars and started on the black underframe bits. Pizzas ordered to the plague house ready for Leeds vs Wolves. I wish I was in the pub but at least iv got a weekend to crack on.

Cheers

James

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

Thanks for loading me up with that image…

Great work as ever though.

Cheers

Darius

Thanks Darius, don't worry they are tissue samples rather than the erm liquid kind.. it's bad enough sorting them and the literal crappy paperwork that comes in from farm for them at home. Thankfully non of the 'liquid' samples due in..

One of the most bizarre messages I had at work a couple of years ago was when it was announced there was a s*men delivery van outside for me. The joys of agriculture!

Edited by jessy1692
Rmweb doesn't like descriptions of samples...
  • Funny 2

Up early this morning so have been doing another round of filler in my 2d's. I meant to do it last night but got carried away with the football and a couple of drinks. Edging very close to paint shops here.

I actually have a proper TSO in my possession now, chanced up one on ebay and won for the princely sum of 4 quid or something daft! Saves chopping up another FO!

20220319_085811.jpg.80ddd4659b91097cb849fd15a56ce095.jpg

• Like 4

Afternoon all, spent most of yesterday faffing with the tanks and sanding the mk2s. Not a great deal to show other than I have started the transfers on the TEA' s, slightly slow going but 2 well on the way.

20220320_124700.jpg.41e4463e24e199ee580bc6e1709bf42b.jpg

4 more to go and then I'll go back around and add the wording and numbers once the decal fix has set the big main ones.

Cheers

James

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Looking good as ever.

A question on the tanks.

Whilst the Triang/Hornby turd polishing is the way to go, especially cost wise these days (70 quid a pop on ebay, phew), it obviously didn't ultimately bother you so a bit of a rhetorical question, but what are your views on the missing solebar edge framing and the over wide central frame and attendant poorly modelled ancillaries under there.

I've thinned a couple of central spines down, and although a bit of a faff, I think it's worthwhile, but I'm unaware of anyone else so anal.

Mike.

6 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Looking good as ever.

A question on the tanks.

Whilst the Triang/Hornby turd polishing is the way to go, especially cost wise these days (70 quid a pop on ebay, phew), it obviously didn't ultimately bother you so a bit of a rhetorical question, but what are your views on the missing solebar edge framing and the over wide central frame and attendant poorly modelled ancillaries under there.

I've thinned a couple of central spines down, and although a bit of a faff, I think it's worthwhile, but I'm unaware of anyone else so anal.

Mike.

Afternoon Mike, ta for compliments, I managed to pick 6 of em up very cheap last year. Just over 50quid for them all which was quite enexpected but glad I went if for them. The roofwalks were all bent and buckled, described as smoke damaged too so I imagine there had been some sort of fire at a poor persons layout as there was other stock also described from the same seller.

To me the Hornby inaccuracies are there i know but they look like TEA'S to me and with thr new cat walks and Stenson bogies they scrub up well for 'layout' wagons, I did think about tinkering further especially the under gubbins but my layout is set relatively low so you can't really see everything going on underneath and I'd probably get very bored tinkering all 6 up so they'll do for me. The old 3ft test rule is one of my main things to live by, up there with if it looks right it is right!

I do admire modellers like yourself that go all in and can polish up the proverbial to near full prototype detail but I know my current limits and also attention span. Modelling time is hard to come by sometimes and I like to get things done and watch them trundle around fir a bit before my next favourite thing comes along!

Have you got some pics of yours? Love to see what you have made of em? One day I may revist these fir a full on rebuild.

All the best

James

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon all, the TEA'S are pretty much done, just needing hand brake wheels at somepoint when I get round to ordering some. They are currently up at the layout having a trundle around after I refitted the bogies.

P1270111.JPG.4a6b1a3f160cffa079a41647a0765aee.JPGP1270112.JPG.0ffab313a24d0650367f680c8467c65c.JPG

I suppose I best get back to the mountain of carriages but its a tad cold for spraying today and the house needs a tidy..

Cheers

James

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, LNERGE said:

Where did you get the bogies?

Stenson Models, esc1 shoe braked ones. Worth every penny. Not affiliated to them (I know I wax lyrical about them!) but they really are worth it

james20210911_172636.jpg.1c88dbca080afe485e8ef5966661be4b.jpg

Edited by jessy1692
Spelling
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Well, you asked for it!

It all started as an idle musing when the Bachmann 100 ton tank came out, there are, as we know, dimensional issues, and the Triang/Hornby version is the right length for the original wagons, nicely suited for my period.

Once I got started and got my teeth into it I obtained a set of works drawings which didn't help me ignore the shortcomings.

image.png.fc6b052795c30355ffef085cd6e6bb28.png

This is the first attempt, at this point I had seen the drawing of the narrowed underframe in the Tourret bible, but decided it wouldn't be worth the effort of narrowing the underframe, so I just added the missing edging to the chassis channels.

Of course, the biggest improvement that can be made is new bogies spaced at the correct centres and I assumed this would suffice.

image.png.4ba949e1c0f638df1d12d3acbe9f919b.png

This is the difference in the central spine width, which, having built a test underframe to see how it compared then sparked me into deciding it was a mistake too far for me to accept.

image.png.7fb9ef5b4e4758d3d58e67c4d147543e.png

Another view of the narrowed underframe with edging added to the girders, showing the difference in the bogie wheelbase.

image.png.0a7c231c74876473833054a5bcc59a68.png

The narrowed underframe with body attached.

Comparison between this and the first picture may seem to show that there is not much difference between the two versions, but in real life, and to my jaundiced eye, there is quite a difference.

Getting the prototype drawings doesn't help, further bodging will be required!

Mike.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Years ago I was going to do one in P4. The main tank mouldings are really good, but the rest, well, typical of the time sadly and the least said about the bogies the better! From memory I think that inside the tank moulding there are pegs that can be used to locate a couple of the weights of the size used in their Mk.1 coaches.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, BernardTPM said:

Years ago I was going to do one in P4. The main tank mouldings are really good, but the rest, well, typical of the time sadly and the least said about the bogies the better! From memory I think that inside the tank moulding there are pegs that can be used to locate a couple of the weights of the size used in their Mk.1 coaches.

The tank moulding splits in half, so, as you say, plenty of scope for additional weight.

Mike.

2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Well, you asked for it!

It all started as an idle musing when the Bachmann 100 ton tank came out, there are, as we know, dimensional issues, and the Triang/Hornby version is the right length for the original wagons, nicely suited for my period.

Once I got started and got my teeth into it I obtained a set of works drawings which didn't help me ignore the shortcomings.

image.png.fc6b052795c30355ffef085cd6e6bb28.png

This is the first attempt, at this point I had seen the drawing of the narrowed underframe in the Tourret bible, but decided it wouldn't be worth the effort of narrowing the underframe, so I just added the missing edging to the chassis channels.

Of course, the biggest improvement that can be made is new bogies spaced at the correct centres and I assumed this would suffice.

image.png.4ba949e1c0f638df1d12d3acbe9f919b.png

This is the difference in the central spine width, which, having built a test underframe to see how it compared then sparked me into deciding it was a mistake too far for me to accept.

image.png.7fb9ef5b4e4758d3d58e67c4d147543e.png

Another view of the narrowed underframe with edging added to the girders, showing the difference in the bogie wheelbase.

image.png.0a7c231c74876473833054a5bcc59a68.png

The narrowed underframe with body attached.

Comparison between this and the first picture may seem to show that there is not much difference between the two versions, but in real life, and to my jaundiced eye, there is quite a difference.

Getting the prototype drawings doesn't help, further bodging will be required!

Mike.

Cheers Mike, WOW! I didn't know just how thin the underframe should be, top job thinning that down. I didn't have any plans and just worked off pics. TBH I was just going for the livery and couldn't just make out how far under the frame should be.

Moving the bogie pivots was my biggest improvement visually, well worth the effort and its fairly simple mod.

I did quite like the SKits walkways and ladders but I'm sure they could be tweaked to be finer. Also I guessed at which type/style to fit to mine.

Excellent stuff and I'm sure they will turn into stunning models.

Have you ever thought about how to do the more conical ended tanks? 

Cheers

James

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, jessy1692 said:

Have you ever thought about how to do the more conical ended tanks? 

TBH, I've not considered any further options at the minute, I've got enough on with the 20 or so of these which need to be done!

If somebody brought out a ready made replacement end, quite easily do-able in this day and age of 3d printing, then I might think about it.

Mike.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

TBH, I've not considered any further options at the minute, I've got enough on with the 20 or so of these which need to be done!

If somebody brought out a ready made replacement end, quite easily do-able in this day and age of 3d printing, then I might think about it.

Mike.

Well 20 will keep you pretty busy  I'm sure.

Interesting thought on a 3d print, it would make things very easy.

All the best

James

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, rka said:

How easy would it be to scratch build some of these? 

With the cost of rtr I wonder if some plastic plumbers pipe will be suitable for the body? 

If not plumbers pipe, there are plenty of different diameter plastic tubes used in the architectural modelling field, and Plastruct do a very wide selection including domed ends, which I've never looked further into, but, I reckon there are possibilities.

Mike,

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, rka said:

How easy would it be to scratch build some of these? 

With the cost of rtr I wonder if some plastic plumbers pipe will be suitable for the body? 

I suppose it would be pretty easy, although doming the ends off may be tricky to get a uniform look. Apart from that I imagine it would be pretty simple with plasticard and plastruct.

• RMweb Gold

Talking of drawings, thanks to James causing me to revisit my bogie oil tank project box!, i decided to look at the drawings which I have only obtained after starting the bodging improvements, the original centre spine dimensions were worked out from the not too clear  and small drawing in the Tourret book, turns out they are still a tad too wide, the actual dimensions are a central box section of just     1' 1 25/32" x 8" with 8" x 4" channel on the outside, giving an overall width of a smidge under 8mm, mine are closer to 10mm but I can live with the few I've already done being oversize, but there's no excuse for any future ones being wrong.

Mike.

• Like 1