Ferrybridge Power Station to Close

Just announced on the radio that SSE are going to close Ferrybridge next year. I believe that it is part coal, part bio-mass-is this correct? Presumably this will have a significant effect on rail traffic in the area.

For me it will mean the end of a landmark that says "almost there" when driving to York. Why does this news sadden me so much?

Ed

• RMweb Gold

I'm with you on this Ed - it was always a special landmark on the A1. Ferrybridge C collapsed spectacularly just before opening in 1965 and I remember the photos on the front of all the papers.

Alastair M.

Im not sure if Ferrybridge is part biomass however Drax is and Eggbourough are trying to get approval to start work on conversion. Ferrybridge holds a place in alot of northern enthusiasts hearts as it was the place to go to see the National power 59s when they where in there striking National power colours. You also cant help seeing the plant when you go to visit Knottingley as its just around the corner.

Can only mean the coal operation as the BBC's statement says-

"The new £300m multifuel site at Ferrybridge is due to be complete by the end of this year and SSE has also submitted a planning application for a second plant."

• RMweb Premium

Yes the biomass part is still going to stay open.   It appears that one of the reasons for the closure is a fire that occurred in part of the flue gas de sulpherisation unit  few months ago.  It effectively closed half the station.

On a personal level I have several friends at our model railway club, Wakefield, who worked there.  One of them worked on commissioning it.  They will be sad to see it close.

Jamie

From the top of the hill where I live, on a clear day, I can see Drax, Eggborough, Ferrybridge, West Burton and if I stretch, Cottam.

Quite a bit of generation there. Drax, or someone is already using biomass, trains through Scunny regularly. More imports though..........

I take it that when the coal unit closes and gets cleared that the 2nd biomass unit will that it's place on the site but will the cooling towers still be all needed ?

• RMweb Premium

Eggborough is 100% coal fired at present but has made several attempts at getting permission for conversion to biomass, all have been refused so far (a colleagues father works in a senior position there). I understand the plan by EDF and it's successors was to shut the plant down within the next five years but that will probably change now it is Czech owned (Energetický a průmyslový holding, a.s).

Drax is currently around one third biomass apparently.

Ferrybridge C is closing, it never restarted after the major fire there last year. Ferrybridge D (the biomass plant) is still under construction.

Complicated nowadays isn't it?

As for rail traffic I suspect there will be little impact other than a gradual change of rolling stock to the biomass wagons from the coal hoppers.

• RMweb Premium

I think it was the expenditure on converting the burners given that the owners saw a limited life for the plant and concerns from the palnning/environment side about pollution.

• RMweb Premium

Stock up on batteries & torches, woolly vests padded gloves and pullovers this summer  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brit15

And clockwork mechanisms to keep the models running..........

Cheers,

Mick

Every time I drive past on the adjacent A1(M) there is clearly a new plant being built on the site with its own rail connection to the balloon loop around the coal pile. There will be power generation going on at Ferrybridge for a long time to come, just not from coal.

• RMweb Premium

.....we need energy from somewhere!

Flew from Brussels airport recently and the phone chargers were free - but you had to pedal on a cycling machine to generate the electricity. Perhaps that's the future - we'll all be generating our own electricity and become less obsese at the same time, so reducing the cost of the NHS. Sounds like a government conspiracy...

• RMweb Premium

Stock up on batteries & torches, woolly vests padded gloves and pullovers this summer  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brit15

Sounds as if my solar powered LED lights were a good investment after all.

Flew from Brussels airport recently and the phone chargers were free - but you had to pedal on a cycling machine to generate the electricity. Perhaps that's the future - we'll all be generating our own electricity and become less obsese at the same time, so reducing the cost of the NHS. Sounds like a government conspiracy...

The heating industry has been gearing up for some time for expected legislation limiting peak electrical consumption in new build domestic houses to 1 kW hr. So far successive governments have backed down on intended dates. Apparently 70% of the energy generated by big central power stations goes up in the air as heat. So the expected solution is to reduce the amount of electricity required - and then generate it locally - and yes some of it in the house itself.

1kW????????????

That won't even boil a kettle.

What you mean is that a current kettle will be an inadequate tool to boil water. A 3 kW oven will not be the right tool to cook a chicken. Think again too about opening windows for fresh air in the winter. There are lots of positive solutions but you have to think back to your physics lessons.

Archived