Ian Kirk kits

gobbler

hi all,

this is kind of related to my plans for southminster.......

got a couple of kits i need help with

kit 1) 1st/3rd semi corridor

Q i) those 2 prongs are these for the under frame, if so how?

Q ii) colour........what colour is the exterior, crimson/maroon or teak brown? not teak wood.

this coach is BR with 'E' prefix 1950-1958 will be behind an N7

Q iii)colour........what colour is the interior and seats

gallery_2873_476_40377.jpg

gallery_2873_476_39114.jpg

kit 2) 5 compartment brake, the kit comes with some spilt pins and brass wire, i'll be using the moulded

underframe. again similar questions to above.

Q i)colour........what colour is the exterior, crimson/maroon or teak brown? not teak wood, too late for the

wooden finish.

Q ii)this coach is BR with 'E' prefix, what kind of running number? 1950-1958 will be behind an N7

colour........what colour is the interior and seats

gallery_2873_476_21216.jpg

gallery_2873_476_6241.jpg

any help with colours phoenix/railmatch or humbrol numbers would be good, i don't have an AB so if anyone knows of an aerosol/car spray that's close....also decal and coach running numbers....

to finish the rake i'll be getting a full 3rd, haven't got this yet, but i will at some stage.

thanks in advance

scott

Sounds to me as if you need one of Michael Harris' books - LNER Carriages or LNER Standard Gresley Carriages will give you what you need to know. They're very hard to find these days so your local library is probably your best bet.

Firstly, have a look at Page 2 of my old workbench here for some of these kits I built and some ideas for improving them. More weight and better bogies will really help. Replacing the moulded door handles and adding the commode handles also makes a great difference.

I think the 'prongs' you refer to are the queen posts which support the underframe trussing. There are drawings in the Harris books which will help you understand how this all goes together.

If you're aiming for 1950-58, you can get away with teak coaches among the BR Crimson although they'd be unlined and pretty tatty. Black ends whatever colour. Interiors light wood colour and seats blue (first) and either red or 'moquette' (patterned beige) for 3rd, something like what's shown here. Again, Michael Harris will give you more information.

I use the HMRS for my transfers, but different people prefer different manufacturers. BR Crimson is available as an aerosol - I have problems with the railway manufacturers ones clogging or refusing to work so I'd go for a Halfords colour. There's a thread on finding those. For a teak finish, if you do do one, don't spray but brush paint - it helps the grain effect.

Have a look at Mozzer's thread on the old forum, micklner, rob2 and buckjumper for more ideas and information. There's also the LNER forum but most of us appear on both.

• RMweb Premium

How much information is on your instructions as the newer ones have the running numbers and the Precision Paint numbers on them. If yours haven't got this information on them send me an email and I will send you a copy of both sets.

Gobbler, if you can get to the NRM easily then go and visit the Library which is a superb resource; (except maybe for the advice on model paint colour, but even that could be there). You will probably need to allow quite a few hours as you will get side-tracked by all else that is available!

36E

• 3 weeks later...

thanks for the info chaps.....

the michael harris book is ??100+..... a smidge on the expensive side......

however

David Jenkinson & Nick Campling book seems more affordable.

my main interests lie in suburban and non-corridor stock

cheers & happy 2010 all....

Scott

You don't need to pay ??100 for this book. There are a few rip-off artists on Amazon who charge very high prices for second-hand books, especially if they have the only copy for sale.

Try Abe books or set up a search for the book on Ebay.

This is the original book which is a bit light on drawings but has good text descriptions and is great for details on various types of Gresley coaches. The Pendragon book by Nick Campling, a reprint of the original Ian Allan version, is much better for drawings.

Harris' two later books are superb but are extremely hard to come by nowadays.

thanks for the info chaps.....

Nick Campling book it is, i notice there's a part 1 & 2, which one would be best suited to my great eastern suburban coach stock needs?

thanks again in advance....

p.s. happy new year

Scott

Hi

Rangers advert in the classifieds might be of interest? ????He has:

Gresley Coaches ????? Michael Harris ??25.00 David & Charles 1973

Might be of interest? ????(No connection to me).

Cheers,

26power

Unless my cheque has bounced I sincerely hope it will be winging it's way to me very soon :lol:

Scott, the Nick Campling book lives by my workbench most of the time and should be on your shopping list. The Michael Harris 'LNER Standard Gresley Carriages' has outline drawings of many of the diagrams and their variants built by the LNER and would be worth getting from the library just as a point of reference for the different diagrams you mention you want to build. As 34C has said, these coaches may have been built by combining a series of standard subassemblies, but I still find it helpful to see them end product in case there were any unexpected variations. I'm also sad enough to be interested in the oddities like the Lav Compo you've built earlier or the slightly differently configured builds which reused old underframes. I think you'd find it useful.

Scott, the Nick Campling book lives by my workbench most of the time and should be on your shopping list. The Michael Harris 'LNER Standard Gresley Carriages' has outline drawings of many of the diagrams and their variants built by the LNER and would be worth getting from the library just as a point of reference for the different diagrams you mention you want to build. As 34C has said, these coaches may have been built by combining a series of standard subassemblies, but I still find it helpful to see them end product in case there were any unexpected variations. I'm also sad enough to be interested in the oddities like the Lav Compo you've built earlier or the slightly differently configured builds which reused old underframes. I think you'd find it useful.

Re the above.

Worst case scenario, I have the Michael Harris book which I might be able to loan you. I also note that the Issinglass drawing list includes LNER coaches. Might be worth a look?

Cheers.

Sean.

penguin,

i've only just started this scratch building 'malarky' as per this thread GE/LNER gresley suburban coaches if this works out well, nick campling's book is top of my list.....

i've had a look at isinglass' site and at ??4.00 a drawing, even though they may be worth every penny, for the amount of stock i'm interested in at the moment, nicks book seems the best value.....

cheers,

scott

penguin,

i've only just started this scratch building 'malarky' as per this thread GE/LNER gresley suburban coaches if this works out well, nick campling's book is top of my list.....

i've had a look at isinglass' site and at ??4.00 a drawing, even though they may be worth every penny, for the amount of stock i'm interested in at the moment, nicks book seems the best value.....

cheers,

scott

No problem Scott.

If you do need a loan of the book in future though, just PM me.

Cheers.

Sean.

Archived