High Speed Diesel Train (HSDT) - The Story continues

MGR Hooper!

But Oxford are doing theirs, and if they're as good as their other stuff they'll be up there in quality with the Rapido Power cars.

(goodness knows haw many variants of they're/their/theirs/they'll I've got on that sentence!  :O )

I agree, I did suggest a tie up with them, no doubt it allows for someone to develop a detailing kit

So Oxford are doing the coaches, Wonder if they will be done, released before Rapido release the HSDT?

Would be nice to have the full coaching stock sat waiting for the power units to arrive. Is there any news on that state of play, everything's been a bit quiet are we looking at 2017 or 2018 for them?

So Oxford are doing the coaches, Wonder if they will be done, released before Rapido release the HSDT?

Would be nice to have the full coaching stock sat waiting for the power units to arrive. Is there any news on that state of play, everything's been a bit quiet are we looking at 2017 or 2018 for them?

They are concentrating on other existing projects until the exchange rates settle down so they can work out costs and from that prices

I agree, I did suggest a tie up with them, no doubt it allows for someone to develop a detailing kit

Jason was talking about just that at the Warley Show last year, but that was just a 'Wouldn't it be a good idea if....'  suggestion, I'm not sure if he actually did anything about it.

• Like 1

This is in Rapido's UK newsletter:

While the Stirling has been eating up design time this has unfortunately pushed back development of the Prototype HST power cars. Judging by the Rapido email inbox this model is high on the want lists of many modellers. The general feeling seems to be that people are happy they can cross it off their 'wish someone would announce this" list, but that it has now moved to their 'wish Rapido would get on with it" list. We feel your pain!

Unfortunately we don't have anything new to show you at Warley. However, now that the Stirling is heading towards tooling, the HSDT has become a priority and we hope to get this scanned early in the New Year and the CAD finished by the summer. Anything less than running samples by Warley 2017 would be considered a pretty poor show on our part so feel free to hold us to that. (I'm going to regret writing that, aren't I?)

Link to the full newsletter:
  • Like 2

The newsletter is well worth subscribing to.

In the latest one that Craig mentions above there are some vids of the new Rapido factory in China, including one with Jason getting right in there driving a fork lift trolley full of RDC models!  :D

Well the Stirling was scanned and announced first, so I prefer they focus on this model until they reach a point whereby they have time to look at HSDT. It is generally UN-efficient for staff to switch projects unless a per-defined point has been reached. If you have not, and you start working on something else, you will loose time later trying to trace where you left off from the last one.

At the same time, I guess the NRM are busy looking for someone to do the MkIIIs. There is also the question on how to offer this. A full train will not be affordable by everyone.

Do they break this down into years like what Oxfordrail will be doing with their mk3s?

Year 1, the power cars

Year 2, 5 coachs

Year 3, the remaining coaches.

Clearly packaging wise, the power cars and coaches will not be boxed together.

Walthers (a US company that produces HO models) have been releasing named trains (Santa Fr Super Chief, Milwaukee Hiawatha, Pennsy Broadway LTD etc)

They do this by releasing one coach per month & the locos at the end

I don't see why this idea couldn't be used for the HSDT, although I would probably like to see the locos first

This would spread the pain over a longer period

John

JSpencer & John ks, good points. Separate packaging would make life a lot easier, as would buying in stages. It has already been mentioned that it will be difficult to match colours if two manufacturers are involved. NEM coupling pockets will presumably be needed, with all the potential for slight incompatibility. An opportunity lost for special couplings and even connecting gangways and controllable coach lights. Producing in stages would, I dare say, make matters easier for Rapido and the NRM too.

Jason, time for an episode of insanity?

• 4 weeks later...

I still do have concerns with what's happening with the HSDT, I know more will be released in the new year and until then there is still no definite answer on what's happening, I know it was mentioned that Rapido won't be doing the coaches at the Warley show, but that's not official yet.

By splitting production over two manufacturer's could be better cost wise for the NRM, But as No Decorum mentioned give's bigger issues with compatibly, possibly spoiling the model and going by Rapido's current setup all models are built strictly to order, How are Oxford Rail going to do this? just build X amount and finger's crossed? if they do them in stages cost wise better, but could take 8-10 months to get the full rake, The world's moving too fast nowadays to do that with smaller companies, Rapido have it right, built to order, job done, move on to the next one, Why I believe they should do there own coaches, released the same time as the HSDT.

On a different note, I've sort of been following what's been happening with Dapol and the N gauge version, and the demand for the HSDT/Miller Project in there words was rather underwhelming but still looking with a go-ahead, more news to follow,

I hope both HSDT projects pick up speed soon, not only will they be good models, but also bring attention to the real one and keep it going for the future generation.

Oxford will have a much larger potential market for the various versions of their Mk IIIs I guess, and would probably just make them until they stop selling.

The early versions for the 252 set will have a limited market though, maybe only to those who'll buy the Rapido prototype. 

Yes, Do agree Kit, I'm looking forward to getting quite a few variants of the mk3's, Wouldn't mind some primed ones for 2 fictitious liveries I have planned.

The concern is of the HSDT, as it has been said on here not everybody might want coaches anyway, just the loco. Thinking about it, It is more in favour for Oxford doing them as the moulds aren't wasted, it's only a livery change,(in basic terms).

Where Rapido will only be doing them as a one off (or are they?? never know with them boys, Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, Royal Train please,) They'll sound the market out first before anything happens, Whatever happens HSDT power cars will be happening and coaches will be available, if not the same manufacture.

• RMweb Premium

Well I , along with a great many others, used to mix Hornby power cars and Jouef Mk3s , so I suppose matching Rapido HSDTs with Oxford Mk3s will be fine . I suspect the number of early Mk3s produced by Oxford will be small in comparison to the total no of mk3s they will churn out , so I don't think there would be a huge risk for them. They can wait until later to judge demand and numbers

• 5 weeks later...

Today's newsletter brings bad news on HSDT project. It has been paused due to the rise in exchange rates causing increased costs :(

Not cancelled by any means but just not coming soon :(

A very big negative after the build up.

Had been looking forwards to this and this is a h..u..g..e disappointment. Not interested in buses or railbuses at all. 

Today's newsletter brings bad news on HSDT project. It has been paused due to the rise in exchange rates causing increased costs :(

Not cancelled by any means but just not coming soon :(

Here's the newsletter text in full...

Prototype HST gets a caution signal

I have news about the Prototype HST Power Car project being produced in partnership with Locomotionmodels.com. When I was in Shildon this month, we sat down together and had a detailed look at the finances of the HSDT project. Due to the drop of the value of the pound and its continuing instability, we feel that the Prototype HST model is not financially viable at present.  

The project has not been cancelled, but like several mainline electrification projects in the UK it has been 'paused' for the time being. I know this will be enormously disappointing for my fellow modern-image modellers, but the realities of the economic situation can't be avoided.  

Stay tuned to future newsletters for more information about this project.  

Here's the newsletter text in full...

Prototype HST gets a caution signal

I have news about the Prototype HST Power Car project being produced in partnership with Locomotionmodels.com. When I was in Shildon this month, we sat down together and had a detailed look at the finances of the HSDT project. Due to the drop of the value of the pound and its continuing instability, we feel that the Prototype HST model is not financially viable at present.  

The project has not been cancelled, but like several mainline electrification projects in the UK it has been 'paused' for the time being. I know this will be enormously disappointing for my fellow modern-image modellers, but the realities of the economic situation can't be avoided.  

Stay tuned to future newsletters for more information about this project.  

:sad_mini: so sad. But not unexpected after the conversation I had with them at Warley. The decrease in the value of the pound is putting a hole in many companies finances. At least Rapido isn't over exposed.

Luke

• RMweb Gold

A shame but not a surprise. So my Lima with Genesis class 252 ends project moves up the to do list.

I suppose we can count our blessings that APT-E was done before the exchange rate reduced Rapidos profit margin.

Perhaps an opportunity for Shane to make his radiator grille etches commercially available?

Neil

• RMweb Premium

Am I the only one that isn't upset or disappointed by this news, selfishly.

Cheers

Shane

Dunno about that, but am I the only one upset or disappointed by the inference this is a "modern image" model?! It's nearly 50 years old! Will they assuage modern image modellers with a new A4 or something?! :jester: