High Speed Diesel Train (HSDT) - The Story continues

MGR Hooper!

18 minutes ago, letterspider said:

This Youtube video shows the incredible amount of effort and expertise which goes into making a locomotive

It's surprising they come in at under £200

Part of it is the UK market is larger than many other model train markets with a higher percentage of modellers per 1,000 people, and it isn't as divided.

But yes UK modellers don't know how good they have it.

Athearn just announced the Amtrak California Surfliner cars - $110 each or £130 (inc. VAT).

Or Athearn's re-run of a SP MT-4 steam loco, upgraded, at $510 or £443 (inc. VAT).

Volume makes a big difference.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Looks like Bachmann/Locomotions news has put an e d to this then.

Or Rapido could male the best of the situation and propose a better version featuring both power cars with optional coaches obviously at a better price because the other offering isn’t exactly cheap

3 minutes ago, 16csvt said:

Looks like Bachmann/Locomotions news has put an e d to this then.

Or Rapido could male the best of the situation and propose a better version featuring both power cars with optional coaches obviously at a better price because the other offering isn’t exactly cheap

Seeing as Locomotion (NRM) and Rails have opted to work with Bachmann I would imagine that this is the one and only prototype HST in development right now.

Perhaps for some competition down the line Accurascale might join the production HST party but I don't see Rapido wasting precious development tokens on a prototype, the ship as they say looks to have sailed.

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Perhaps for some competition down the line Accurascale might join the production HST party but I don't see Rapido wasting precious development tokens on a prototype, the ship as they say looks to have sailed

Who can say at this point. Although I’m pretty sure Jason (Shron) is an HST fan from things I’ve previously read?

All we know is that Hornby were concerned enough about another manufacturer having a HST under development to make some tweaks to their power car offering and follow up their plug door Mk3s with the slam door variety. 

I personally think a Rapido HST would be a good model given the lengths they’ve gone to on other prototypes. 

4 minutes ago, MrTea said:

Who can say at this point. Although I’m pretty sure Jason (Shron) is an HST fan from things I’ve previously read?

All we know is that Hornby were concerned enough about another manufacturer having a HST under development to make some tweaks to their power car offering and follow up their plug door Mk3s with the slam door variety. 

I personally think a Rapido HST would be a good model given the lengths they’ve gone to on other prototypes. 

But maybe not so if Bachmann and Rails are looking at (or have begun but not announced) tooling up Mk3 coaches or if Accurascale are also involved in a production HST having employed someone with intimate knowledge of them.

Hornby have plenty of people to be concerned about when it comes to a HST - there is also Dapol of course, experience in N for both prototype and production models.

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, MrTea said:

I seem to remember that one of the criticisms levelled against SK at Hornby was that they only made LNER Pacific’s because he liked them.  I would have to say that I hope all manufactures market analysis is a bit more advanced them “Well I like ‘em, so let’s do it”

• Agree 1

I think the issue may be that the (good, not Lima?) Hornby one is pretty good and I'm not sure there will be enough of a gap between models to warrant someone else making one.

Especially as the market is fairly well supplied with HSTs as it is.  Granted, some liveries are harder to find (in the good shape) but surely if you really wanted one, you'd have one by now?

Granted, there has been the war with the Class 37s and Class 50s - I think perhaps the Hattons Class 66 is just about worth getting above the Bachmann version but HSTs are limited as it is.

When Hornby released the Swallow MK3s, I got a full set so unless there is some sort of amazing development that really sets any other model apart from mine, I am out of the market for any others.

It's sort of what worries me about Bachmann's 170 refresh.
If it's good, good but will it be enough above the current model?

• RMweb Gold
On 27/06/2023 at 20:00, Sir TophamHatt said:

I think the issue may be that the (good, not Lima?) Hornby one is pretty good and I'm not sure there will be enough of a gap between models to warrant someone else making one.

It depends on the yard stick your measuring with.

I find the Hornby one is now showing its age, theres a nasty tooling line right down the front cab sides, that painting is not hiding.

Around the light clusters isnt particularly clean either.

They also need to consider Horn grills, as they are incorrect on some.

At £380 RRP /£362 discount, for a power and a dummy, its leaving the field wide open for someone to step in with a £199 rrp / £165 discounted new replacement that gives £330 for a powered pair..

There is also scope for through wiring to the coaches giving DCC control of lighting without chipping each coach (assumes someone is making mk3’s too ).

The clever part would be selling the power cars singularly, than in pairs. 

imo Hornby is leaving the class 43 market wide open, with the 31,50,56,60 someones walked in on them and eaten their lunch already.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2