New skin testing - particularly for anyone who's had problems with editing/quoting etc.

It looks nice on my Macbook with Firefox browser, so I will stick with it.

Thanks. Until today, I had never scrolled that far down the page, so had not realised there was a choice of themes.  :blind:

I always check to makes sure there are no moderators online before starting mischief.

• RMweb Premium

Test.

Mac desktop using OSX 10.11.3 and browsing with Safari 9.0.3 via a cable broadband connection.  

Loading is slightly slower.  The shaded reply box is a benefit which I like.  It's slightly easier on the eyes and the contrast between pale peach background and icon colour is an improvement.

Not so much a fan of the border colour but that's personal preference.  It is bolder and the post separators also stand out better.  

No apparent changes to editing or quoting which haven't really given me much gip anyway.  But as the nice pastel reply-pane border also appears on the previous theme I might revert to that just for now.

No change. No change possible - but I guess you expected that (the Change Theme menu option requires javascript) No, don't force the change for me, I preferred the previous one anyway.

What exactly - if anything - does the new theme actually offer? (couldn't care less about fancy colours) Sorry but am I missing the point? A lot of effort - for what exactly. Shouldn't it all be about content and functionality rather than a fashionable pretty dress.

• RMweb Gold

I like the new skin. Classy in a subdued kind of way - not that it'll rub off on our behaviour, if that's what you were hoping Andy  :D

A couple of minor details to consider when you get to that stage:

• I agree with eastwestdivide about the borders being a little heavy
  • Also, would it be possible to lighten the side menu blocks in the blogs? They seem a little dark an un-inviting. Maybe even make them all white, as elsewhere on the site?

post-738-0-76937500-1455296125.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I like the heavy line around the areas of interest; it lifts the subject areas above the clutter around the rest of the page. I'm probably biased though because I tend to set up my screen windows in a similar fashion.

• RMweb Gold

Is the new skin responsible for the change in the way ignored threads work? Instead of hiding the thread like it used to, the thread is still shown, but now with a bright red and yellow icon that actually highlights the thread rather than making it disappear into the ether. Bizarre thought process going on with that concept.  :dontknow:

• RMweb Gold
Andy Y, on 08 Feb 2016 - 18:12, said:Andy Y, on 08 Feb 2016 - 18:12, said:Andy Y, on 08 Feb 2016 - 18:12, said:

I'm testing a new skin (colour scheme) at present and wanted to ask if anyone who has had problems with the forum software in editing/quoting or other posting issues that had to change their theme to RMweb_2013 could test the new theme.

Andy - I've been testing this theme for a couple of days with no new problems.  However, one problem I have is that whenever I quote another post, the name of that poster, date etc. is repeated in the body of the quote.  And if I edit the post again it adds yet another line.  It happens on all themes and only when I use IE 11, but not when I use Edge.  My OS is Windows 10. The strange thing is I haven't managed to find any other posters that appear to suffer the same issue.

It happens on all the PCs I use so perhaps it's a profile issue?

Is the new skin responsible for the change in the way ignored threads work? Instead of hiding the thread like it used to, the thread is still shown, but now with a bright red and yellow icon that actually highlights the thread rather than making it disappear into the ether. Bizarre thought process going on with that concept.  :dontknow:

It will ignore them from your View New Content and searches but they always have showed up still in the forum listing. I can look at changing the colours though.

Andy - I've been testing this theme for a couple of days with no new problems.  However, one problem I have is that whenever I quote another post, the name of that poster, date etc. is repeated in the body of the quote.  And if I edit the post again it adds yet another line.  It happens on all themes and only when I use IE 11, but not when I use Edge.  My OS is Windows 10. The strange thing is I haven't managed to find any other posters that appear to suffer the same issue.

These are the nightmares to try and track, is it a case that it breaks the quote into two parts if you delete something out of the middle of it?

• RMweb Gold

It will ignore them from your View New Content and searches but they always have showed up still in the forum listing. I can look at changing the colours though.

These are the nightmares to try and track, is it a case that it breaks the quote into two parts if you delete something out of the middle of it?

Just  a simple quote causes the problem, as I've done here - and it happens with all skins. 

• RMweb Gold

Just  a simple quote causes the problem, as I've done here - and it happens with all skins. 

Andy - just edited the above post on the wife's PC which had a clean install of Windows 10 last week.  It now doesn't have the extra-quoting problem as you can see.  My PC is supposedly at the same level so perhaps a re-install will fix it for me.  Don't know what is different however ...

• RMweb Gold

Andy - just edited the above post on the wife's PC which had a clean install of Windows 10 last week.  It now doesn't have the extra-quoting problem as you can see.  My PC is supposedly at the same level so perhaps a re-install will fix it for me.  Don't know what is different however ...

The other 3 Pcs in our household all had the same problem.  All are Windows 10 and supposedly at the latest level with the November update (version 1511).  I tried a full reset of IE (tools -> internet options -> advanced -> reset) and it resolved the issue on all of them.  I assume some setting in the first release in W10 has been corrected in the 1511 version, so now all is well.  I don't really understand why some IE11 option could cause this issue, and also why I've not seen any other posts from other members showing the problem!

Meanwhile, there are problems with posts made before the update which contain a £ symbol (and some other special characters) being truncated at the point where the £ symbol should appear. This is a result of character set changes made during the software update by Invision. I have raised a ticket with them and await a response on resolution.

Meanwhile, there are problems with posts made before the update which contain a £ symbol (and some other special characters) being truncated at the point where the £ symbol should appear. This is a result of character set changes made during the software update by Invision. I have raised a ticket with them and await a response on resolution.

That bug includes blogs - mine at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1380/entry-12070-3-down-the-valley-and-up-the-hill-rigi/

currently truncates at the first umlaut (should have been Goschenen with an umlaut over the O).

Unicode consortium founded in 1991, and still so-called "special" characters causing problems in 2016!

• RMweb Gold

That bug includes blogs - mine at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1380/entry-12070-3-down-the-valley-and-up-the-hill-rigi/

currently truncates at the first umlaut (should have been Goschenen with an umlaut over the O).

Unicode consortium founded in 1991, and still so-called "special" characters causing problems in 2016!

And apostrophes, eg: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/75/entry-17254-the-honourable-slipper-boy-part-3/

(could be I'm using the continental apostrophe?)

• RMweb Gold

Or just a curly one rather than a straight one.

The problem will be significant where posts have been written and pasted from Microsoft Word, or copied from other web pages.

See: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108352-truncated-blogs/&do=findComment&comment=2207112

It applies only to posts made before the software upgrade, you can happily put £ symbols in new posts. £££ and other special characters © £ • .

Martin.

Archived