Cornish Chronicles - St. Breward Junction

Brinkly

• RMweb Gold

St. Breward Junction

BR Southern Region Layout Circa 1960

Introduction

I thought I might break cover with this project, as I’ve been asked quite a few times what I’m up to modelling wise and the truth is quite a bit, despite appearances to the contrary!

A side note in this saga is also space, or in my case a lack of! This is significant factor in the lack of layout progress with Horrabridge’s development. At the moment I don’t have a dedicated space for a large layout (19 by 11 foot is Horrabridge’s overall size). My original plan was to locate the layout in the loft, but the extremes of temperature in the summer and winter, mean that I can’t really work up there, coupled with the lack of any natural light and the space really is quite unusable – so I’ve ruled out using it.

Since mid-2014 I have considered building a small starter layout, rather than jumping straight in with Horrabridge. At the time I was working away from Devon and carting a large project around really wasn’t ideal. This small project would develop a large number of practical skills; track building, wiring, signalling, buildings and scenery, not to mention a test bed for stock. All good practice for Horrabridge.

In late April 2015 I decided to end my year-long exile in Kent and moved back home to Devon in the July. So the smaller starter project layout was put on the back burner. The main reason for this was Scaleforum of that year. DRAG members were heavily involved with show, presenting a small slice of what we were up to as an area group. I volunteered Horrabridge as part of the exhibition, presenting it as a ‘working progress’ from an ‘inexperienced modeller’. So over the summer holiday I erected the layout either out in the garden, or in the front room, both being dependant on the weather and what I was doing. I managing to work around the space issue and lay a small amount of track. However, once I returned from Scaleforum the modelling mojo seemed to disappear; the fuel that had once powered Horrabridge’s progress seemed to turn into vapour and work on the layout didn’t restart and to this day still hasn’t restarted.

One major decision that I have made is to revert back to finescale 00, which I think is the most sensible choice in both the short and the long terms; my P4 modelling will now focus purely with DRAG’s Bodmin General layout. But the key factor in all this, is still the lack of space.

Now it isn’t all doom and gloom. In November of last year, I started a new relationship with a lovely girl called Carrie, so any modelling work really ground to a complete halt! One evening (back in March 2016) I was moaning to Carrie (in a good way!) that I needed to do something other than school work. She suggested getting Horrabridge out, but as I said really it is too big and another problem is that I haven’t really built a model railway before. Carrie replied, ‘Well why don’t you work on a smaller project first?’ I said that isn’t a bad idea and mentioned that I had thought about it before. That evening, whilst I was cooking dinner, Carrie came in from the dining room into the kitchen saying ‘Are these any good? It would save you a lot of time and effort.’ The photo being Tim Horn’s laser cut boards (if you head towards the bottom of the site, you can see the MDF examples). The next thing I know a set of three, 3ft by 1ft plywood cameo boards were ordered, giving me a much more achievable potential project. I really am very lucky! She is great!

In search of a ‘prototype’

With the above chapter, or essay, out of the way the more interesting bits start!

Whilst being in exile, I carried out quite a lot of research for the starter project. I have particular fondness for the ex LSWR & GWR in the South West, but when one looks a various OS and railway maps, you discover just how well served various communities were in Britain!

One aspect of my own modelling philosophy is that I like to model real locations, or model something that had a fair chance of being built in the first instance. I also prefer to watch a train in the landscape, or travelling through it. Slow branch lines hold greater appeal to me than a large, busy mainline. I’m not so keen on terminus schemes, so this provided criteria and a clear starting point for the project;

• Ex LSWR or ex GWR prototype,
  • Set in Devon or Cornwall (possibility Dorset),
  • A scheme based on a real place or locality (village or small town),
  • Ideally a through station, or slice of railway landscape,
  • Set in the countryside,
  • Branch line operation,
  • Not a terminus.

A fair part of this philosophy was formed after watching various model railways and operating Maurice Hopper’s Country Boards at the Exeter model railway show in May 2014. Maurice’s operating practice focused on half a dozen different passenger and freight trains slowly plodding through the landscape, some freight trains stopping occasionally to shunt the small brickworks siding when running in one direction. Reasonably lengthen trains, but lots of different small locomotives and stock to look at and appreciate.

I did think for quite a while about linking the small project to Horrabridge, perhaps making a Coryton style station, but I have a pair of Beattie Well tanks. These Well Tanks seem to have some form of magical power over me, as I could not ignore their modelling potential!

post-7376-0-01659800-1469962099.jpg

Bodmin, despite being small, was particularly well served with lines.

post-7376-0-27721200-1469961913_thumb.jpg

Boscarne Junction and the lines surrounding Bodmin influenced my decision making heavily!

Since purchasing my Well Tanks when Kernow released them, I’ve found my modelling interest slowly slide towards the LSWR. My late Grandfather modelled the LSWR, so I imagine that is also a source of the interest. I felt that if I build an ex LSWR layout, my mojo would return and this would spark interest and enthusiasm for Horrabridge once again.

post-7376-0-94555500-1469961865_thumb.jpg

Whilst in Kent, I drew a plan for a small junction based on Dunmere in Cornwall. My idea was to build it in 00-SF to provide a home form the growing number of ex LSWR refugees which seemed to be arriving on a rather regular basis! At that point I had ordered a pair of LSWR O2 tanks, but they hadn’t arrived, but I did have a brace of the for mentioned Well tanks and an M7 loco – certainly enough motive power to operate a small layout once the O2 tanks landed. The recipe was now chosen.

The Model

As I mentioned earlier Britain was incredibly well served with railway lines before the Beeching cuts, but last year I did discover a selection of potential schemes focused around Bodmin and the Camel Valley in Cornwall.

post-7376-0-80814700-1469963009_thumb.jpg

Whilst browsing through my copy of The Bodmin and Wadebridge Railway, 1834 – 1983 by Michael Messenger, I discovered to my delight that various companies between 1860-1880 had a number of plans to extend the branch line running from Dunmere Junction to Wenford Bridge. One scheme extended the line further up the Camel Valley heading due Northwards towards Boscastle, Delabole and Tintagel. The main purpose of the proposed route was for the various tin, slate and clay mining concerns in the area to access the large ports at Padstow and Wadebridge.

One scheme in particular had real appeal, it formed a junction just outside of Wenford Bridge goods deport, running through the hamlet of St. Breward and the small village of Churchtown. There was also a proposal to build another branch, in the opposite direction, onto the moors to access the clay works at Durford and Temple. This scheme I feel is the best. The plan suggested construction of a single track, standard gauge line, following the valley towards the two small settlements. Construction would have started, hand the finances been available in the mid-1870s.

post-7376-0-43269700-1469962826_thumb.jpg

Follow the Wenford Bridge line (red) and then either of the two 1870 ideas would have created some form of facilty at Churchtown and an junction heading up onto the moors.

The first version was a simple junction, the idea being that the gated branch went to Wenford Bridge and the other continued up to Churchtown; Churchtown being the terminus as the company ran out of money and never reached Delabole in my scheme! But this original version, which I drew last year, lacks operating potential and the baseboards which Carrie ordered have a total length of 9ft rather than the original 5ft.

post-7376-0-59851200-1469962383_thumb.jpg

Ikea style baseboards!

post-7376-0-59140300-1469963583_thumb.jpg

So back to the drawing board and version 2 has been created – St. Breward Junction. St. Breward Junction has a similar flavour to Boscarne. I hope represents what the LSWR might have built had the line been extended in reality; the signal box and ground frame are based on the structures at Boscarne Junction, as is the simple track plan. This drawing isn't quite as detailed as the first, a 'new' version will be created, but you get the idea. A small wharf siding is provided for the small hamlet of St. Breward, and a simple loop to enable trains to run-round before proceeding up the branch to the moor.

The mainline runs between Wenford Bridge and Churchtown, with a branch diverging off to the clay pits located at Temple and Durford on Bodmin Moor. There is a small a goods loop and a wharf siding, so typical of the whole area. The signal box controls the branch and the level crossing gates, with the ground frame controlling the cross over (which forms the goods loop) and the wharf siding.

The curves on the branch would have been eased to allow bogie coaches to run up the line and upgraded to allow heavier locos to run on it. I think this version retains most of the ideas from the original plan, but is operationally more interesting.

Building

Now, there is an ongoing joke at DRAG that I 'outsource' my modelling to third parties, partly true! (But only with regard to baseboards! :P ;)  ) These boards I actually built! And more importantly, they work.

Tim Horn's products are excellent and well worth the money. I really don't know how he turns a profit as the timber alone must have been a good £80. Brilliant design, they just work.

Below are a selection of photos showing various stages of construction.

post-7376-0-96437500-1469964314_thumb.jpg

Evening work - love the mirror shot! D'oh :jester:

post-7376-0-53867900-1469964340_thumb.jpg

Clamped up

post-7376-0-93223700-1469964364_thumb.jpg

I don't think you need clamps, but it really does make life easier. Well worth investing in some for this type of work. Mine came from Axminster Tools and cost about £60 for the lot (3 bar clamps and 8 F clamps).

post-7376-0-94660900-1469964431_thumb.jpg

Out in the garden. Trestles and an old 1980s (older than me!) coffee table top - ideal for a portable workbench. I would like to add, I don't use this in my home! It lives in the garage!! 

post-7376-0-34338000-1469964535_thumb.jpg

Under clamping.

post-7376-0-31726500-1469964554_thumb.jpg

Nearly done.

post-7376-0-95329300-1469964586_thumb.jpg

post-7376-0-31280500-1469964602_thumb.jpg

Pair of ends - dowels and stoppers.

Anyway that is enough for one post! More in a bit.

Thanks for reading, please do feel free to comment! :good:

Kind regards,

Nick.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Greetings,

As I mentioned in the last post the project is still in its early stages. The gauge will be 00, using C&L plain track and points built to 00-SF stanards (sorry Chris F!). Most of the buildings will be adapted Bachmann items, all sourced from Kernow Model Centre.

So best thing to do is put the layout up and you can get a better feel for it.

post-7376-0-80758600-1469965762_thumb.jpg

One set of boards.

post-7376-0-86828900-1469965779_thumb.jpg

Looking along.

post-7376-0-80071300-1469965794_thumb.jpg

Looking down! Lots of room for lights in the built in frame.

post-7376-0-04468900-1469965830_thumb.jpg

Pair of buildings - both from Kernow.

post-7376-0-88696500-1469965849_thumb.jpg

Close up of St. Breward's Signal box.

post-7376-0-99357200-1469965867_thumb.jpg

Ground frame and junction.

post-7376-0-89774700-1469965888_thumb.jpg

O2 tank arrives from Churchtown, whilst a Well Tank waits on the branch loop.

post-7376-0-05155400-1469965927_thumb.jpg

Passenger service proceeds towards Wadebridge

post-7376-0-13219400-1469965957_thumb.jpg

Light engine Well Tank on the branch.

post-7376-0-86272300-1469965982_thumb.jpg

Trains crossing.

post-7376-0-55462600-1469966006_thumb.jpg

Back to Churchtown.

I'm going to crack on with a bit of scenery work this afternoon, so hopefully further posts will show blue foam later!

Thanks for looking.

Kind regards,

Nick.

• Like 18

Very interesting Nick.

I always think it's important that a layout has a real "sense of place" about it. Something that you're obviously trying to achieve with this.

Nothing wrong with a bit of counter-factual stuff either, as if certain schemes had been built/completed, then existing lines might well have been modified to take into account new traffic levels and flows.

Looking superb Nick, I'm obviously LOVING the location and the similarities to Boscarne make it so desirable for operation.

Will the scenic be just the centre section or will you be adding more length for the Fiddle Yards?

Now watching with great interest.

• RMweb Gold

Hi gents,

Thank you for your interest and comments.

It will be fully opperational, with a view to attending a couple of local shows once completed.

I will probably have two 4ft by 1ft fiddle yards, making an end-to-end layout, with cassettes for locomotives and stock. Having said that, I have thought about turing it into a roundy-round layout.

Kind regards,

Nick.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thank you everyone for the likes and comments. I almost didn't put anything up, but want other members to contribute, and hopefully, make a better model as a result. :)

I've spent a couple of hours this afternoon playing around with blue extruded polystyrene foam, to start to get a feel for the height of cuttings and embankments. Something I discovered almost immediately is that if I rise the track bed up, the front fascia pieces won’t work (Tim provides you with laser cut 4mm ply fascia strips, to cover the rough edge of the boards). I did think about cutting new front pieces, but I just don’t think it would look too great! I’m also aware that I would be creating a huge amount of additional work, for very little gain. The only area that would benefit from this, is the scene to the right of the ground frame. In short, it means that the stream will have to go, but I’m not too bothered about this. I could always cut a small section away, if the fancy takes me. 

Something I have made a firm decision with is the height of the cutting to the rear of the scene. The signal box is just over 5cm tall, which I think is a suitable height for the top of the cutting. Lots of long grass, brambles, bushes and small trees will cover it, similar to Boscarne, so I feel anything over 5cm would tower over the scene.

So the first set of images show the blue foam boards. The first image shows the proposed height of the rear cutting, it won't be as a thick as this, but hopefully you can get a feel for the height.

post-7376-0-55982400-1469979185_thumb.jpg

post-7376-0-35420400-1469979254_thumb.jpg

No cutting now, narrowing of the siding and quite a steep drop down to the baseboard tops.

post-7376-0-28984200-1469979295_thumb.jpg

View of the rear of the siding and the level crossing scene. I was really lucky as I managed to purchase a set of MSE LSWR level crossing gates, which are currently out of production, thank goodness for eBay!

post-7376-0-92956700-1469979369_thumb.jpg

Cattle wagons wait their next turn.

post-7376-0-72653500-1469979403_thumb.jpg

Looking towards Wenford Bridge

In the next set of photos I removed the foam and it felt much more open, I gain a good inch of real estate at the front of the board, which is really useful seeing as the boards are only 12 inches wide!

post-7376-0-91111000-1469979422_thumb.jpg

Ground zero - my plan is for the railway to enter a slight cutting here, with an allotment scene on the right, surrounded by Cornish hedges.

post-7376-0-89386800-1469979580_thumb.jpg

Whilst looking in my detailing box I discovered a Hornby telephone box, which was placed across the road from the signal box.

post-7376-0-69305400-1469979633_thumb.jpg

Tank wagons take centre stage.

post-7376-0-61055600-1469979656_thumb.jpg

View of the whole scene.

post-7376-0-68442700-1469979677_thumb.jpg

Alternative view of the tank wagons.

post-7376-0-96682800-1469979713_thumb.jpg

A small lorry was added to check potential widths for a loading area.

post-7376-0-06211700-1469979762_thumb.jpg

Then everything went to pot as 5569 arrived with a rake of Bachmann cattle wagons, such a shame they are 4mm too long. :(

post-7376-0-64128300-1469979831_thumb.jpg

5569 trundles over the level crossing.

Enough for now, please add your thoughts below, they are always welcome.

Kind regards,

Nick.

• Like 14

Hope the Blu Tack's NOT PERMANANT, hahhah, I do like the Plan but as Peter said, I also thought it was going to be small, (I was thinking Porth Merryn / Port Breddy 4 or 5 ft Scenic etc), that looks a MONSTER to me Nick.

• RMweb Gold

Hope the Blu Tack's NOT PERMANANT, hahhah, I do like the Plan but as Peter said, I also thought it was going to be small, (I was thinking Porth Merryn / Port Breddy 4 or 5 ft Scenic etc), that looks a MONSTER to me Nick.

Mmmm! It works out at 9ft by 1ft. I did contemplate only using two of the boards (the two end pieces), but by the time two fiddle yards were included all I would save is 3ft, so I thought I might as well go the full hog!

If a Beattie Well Tank, T9 and an O2 tank were produced in 2mm scale, I would jump with both feet and make this in 2mm to the foot.

I did think about producing a small terminus, but I don't enjoy them as much, I like watching trains go off in different directions. However, it should be built quite quickly, 4 points, 2 catch points and 9 square feet of scenery. Horrabridge's track work is simple, but it has well over 60 square feet of scenery! So although this is big, it is also small and simple! No buildings to make as such, bar the odd shed!

Kind regards,

Nick.

• Like 1

Mmmm! It works out at 9ft by 1ft. I did contemplate only using two of the boards (the two end pieces), but by the time two fiddle yards were included all I would save is 3ft, so I thought I might as well go the full hog!

If a Beattie Well Tank, T9 and an O2 tank were produced in 2mm scale, I would jump with both feet and make this in 2mm to the foot.

I did think about producing a small terminus, but I don't enjoy them as much, I like watching trains go off in different directions. However, it should be built quite quickly, 4 points, 2 catch points and 9 square feet of scenery. Horrabridge's track work is simple, but it has well over 60 square feet of scenery! So although this is big, it is also small and simple! No buildings to make as such, bar the odd shed!

Kind regards,

Nick.

3mm Would be the ultimate, a good size for scenic and detail.

Oh how I dream, hahha

Nice ideas!

I'm trying to work out from your track plan which lines are going to be running lines and which just sidings etc, trying to see how the trap-point near the signal-box fits in - is that line just a siding? Can you add some more detail sometime please?

• RMweb Gold

Liking this project so far.

I know the board is flat, and you don't want to cut below it, but can you make the rest of the ground a different height to the track bed ? For example, the road to the crossing doesn't need to be level, it can be dropping to the track bed then rising again. The cutting can sweep behind the track from the proposed height to nothing to a medium height.

Just a thought.

• Like 2

Hate to see Horrabridge go, Nick, but needs be I suppose.  To compensate, I'm glad you decided to go to Cornwall.  Horrabridge wasn't exactly a Clapham Junction but St Breward appears to have less operating potential. Or is that not a negative?  But as its non proto, no doubt alterations could be made as new industry might be found locally.

One potential layout which has not appeared AFAIK, is the proposed extension of the Looe and Caradon Railway to the North Cornwall line.  Similar potential to yours.  Anyway, good luck with the project and look forward to seeing it come to fruition.

Brian.

Hate to see Horrabridge go, Nick, but needs be I suppose.  To compensate, I'm glad you decided to go to Cornwall.  Horrabridge wasn't exactly a Clapham Junction but St Breward appears to have less operating potential. Or is that not a negative?  But as its non proto, no doubt alterations could be made as new industry might be found locally.

One potential layout which has not appeared AFAIK, is the proposed extension of the Looe and Caradon Railway to the North Cornwall line.  Similar potential to yours.  Anyway, good luck with the project and look forward to seeing it come to fruition.

Brian.

No layout yet seen anywhere, as far as I know, but the idea is certainly there - it's one of those 'possibles' which I doodle with from time to time :-)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice ideas!

I'm trying to work out from your track plan which lines are going to be running lines and which just sidings etc, trying to see how the trap-point near the signal-box fits in - is that line just a siding? Can you add some more detail sometime please?

Hi Chris,

Will do. I'm hoping that Carrie can draw a decent plan for me over the holiday.

Liking this project so far.

I know the board is flat, and you don't want to cut below it, but can you make the rest of the ground a different height to the track bed ? For example, the road to the crossing doesn't need to be level, it can be dropping to the track bed then rising again. The cutting can sweep behind the track from the proposed height to nothing to a medium height.

Just a thought.

Thank you Stubby! Good idea re boards, I will have a think about that one.

Brian.

Hi Brian,

All is not lost with Horrabridge. I am planning on doing some work on Horrabridge later in the holiday, if nothing else.

Bar a small terminus layout that I built when I was at school aged 14 (best part of 15 years ago now), I haven't ever built a layout before. I think I am a quick learner; I certainly read lots and look at how other people do things, but I need to practice on something first! If nothing else, this will enable Horrabridge to be built to a better standard.

Kind regards,

Nick.

• Like 3

Nick, you have made excellent progress since the end of term.... But that of course is the teacher's lot!

I very much appreciate the way you 'show your working' in the resolution of problems that arise in building a layout. With the guiding sense of place and reference to actual locations for operating this has the potential to became a Cornish classic.

Now as to size.... This has to be a small layout for you at just over 50% of the length and 30% the width of the Horrabridge station boards (let alone the rest of the circuit).

It will be a pity to loose the steam, the under bridge and with it the opportunity for below line landscape. Look at the pictures again. How often is the railway perched above the hedge or field? There is something significant about land falling away from the permanent way. Something to do with the rake of the stage that it offers to the scene. I could always run up some nicely profiled new fronts for you! Just trying to confuse the issue. The little dip in the front of Tresparrett Wharf makes all the difference compared to the flat St Juliot. See. - modellingat164scale.wordpress.com

Additional comment.... Perhaps the fall away at the front of the layout is better illustrated by Stroudley Green, of which there are more pictures than TPW.

.... This student shows great potential as does his chosen project. I look forward to watching developments... Even if only in holiday periods!

Maurice

Edited by Maurice Hopper
  • Like 2

I was usually admonished by the comment, "If he is to succeed this boy must try harder".  I never really did but ended up quite well considering.

I think Nick is trying quite hard! 

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

Watching with interest here.  I'd like to see those crossing gates the other way around namely with the posts to the left not the right of approaching road traffic.  That feels more "right" to my mind.  Don't overlook the old De Lank incline up from Wenford Bridge to the De Lank quarry by the Cheesering.  That's another piece of fascinating railway history from the area.  

Nick, squeezing things in and still looking right shouldn't be a problem, this was my Masons Lane, I did for the Hornby Mag 3sq ft challenge, 4ft x 9 inches and incorporates a road over, Canal under, Level Crossing and two sidings without looking to crowded, (it came 6th BTW).

post-9335-0-74479300-1470035861_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-56578600-1470035901_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-15502000-1470035973_thumb.jpg

Obviously you have a Stream not a Canal.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Greetings,

It has been a horrid day here in Ivybridge, it has rained non-stop since before 8:00am. Lilly, our Collie, and I walked down to the high street and got soaked! However, we did return with some glue from our local hardware store, my new glasses and a packet of rich tea biscuits!

Shortly before we left, my order from C&L Finescale arrived; a mixture of chairs, sleepers, switch blades and 10 meters of finescale 00 track. C&L really do have an excellent postal service, I ordered the parts quite late on Friday and they were here by 8:15 this morning - excellent service.

My plan had been to put the boards up in the dining room today, but the trestles are stored in the shed. I didn't fancy a second cold shower, so didn't bother! Instead I placed the three boards on the floor and then carefully started placing my new track. It actually proved very useful, as I was able to get a bird’s eye view and make slight changes to the alignment, making best use of the very tight space. In an ideal world, another 6 inches in width would be ideal, but I still think I can achieve what I set out to do.

post-7376-0-96292800-1470077941_thumb.jpg

View looking towards Churchtown. The O2 is sitting on the 'main line' with the Well Tank sitting on the Temple, goods only, line.

post-7376-0-77136900-1470078026_thumb.jpg

Looking across the valley towards the junction.

post-7376-0-01439500-1470078058_thumb.jpg

The siding is position infront of the main line and will approximately 1 meter long. Access for lorries will be at the far end.

post-7376-0-24319800-1470078126_thumb.jpg

Broad scene looking towards the signal box and level crossing.

post-7376-0-91526600-1470078166_thumb.jpg

End of the siding, a small lorry is used to check the width of the proposed access road. I imagine by 1960, the wharf would have seen very little traffic.

post-7376-0-26541600-1470078356_thumb.jpg

The Well Tank, 30586, drifts down from Bodmin Moor with a pick-up goods service.

post-7376-0-67375500-1470078473_thumb.jpg

30586 with a goods train - 11 wagons plus a brake van will be a typical lenght service.

Once I'd tweaked and change the position of the track, I then moved the level crossing board back to the table and stuck the first piece of extruded polystyrene down. Deep down, I wasn't happy with the flat earth position! So it's back to the original plan; I will take advantage of the kind offer Maurice made and make new front fascia pieces, matching the profile of the scenery.

post-7376-0-79842000-1470079584_thumb.jpg

No pasta sauces this time! The bottles of wine were end of term gifts from my lovely class, duel use!

post-7376-0-03529400-1470079634_thumb.jpg

Blue polystyrene starting to take shape.

post-7376-0-14567800-1470079682_thumb.jpg

To the left of the level crossing, the railway will enter a small cutting. An typical allotment will feature behind the telephone box, edged by a typical Cornish hedge. Trees will also help screen the exit to the fiddle yard.

post-7376-0-03749600-1470079804_thumb.jpg

Looking towards Wenford Bridge. As I said above, a selection of trees will help mask the exit. A small gate will also secure the entrance to the wharf siding.

post-7376-0-00875600-1470079942_thumb.jpg

The road will fall away gently from the level crossing. Typical LSWR road signs will also warn motorist of the approaching line.

post-7376-0-99781600-1470080322_thumb.jpg

O2 tank provides inspiration! The level crossing gates will be based on the example at Nanstallon, rather than Boscarne.

post-7376-0-44721300-1470080416_thumb.jpg

O2 tank enters the cutting. My plan is to have the ground falling away towards the baseboard edge.

So that's it for now. Lots of pen markings help give a flavour of where things will be cut out, or built up.

Thanks for your support gents, please keep the comments coming.

Kind regards,

Nick.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Good to see, Nick. But then, as a Southern sort of cove, who travelled (sadly behind a pannier) to Bodmin North more than 50 years ago, and cycled from Padstow to Wenfordbrdge about 35 years later, I would say that. Add in the facts that I stayed in a cottage just outside St Breward in the early 80s, and my late/first wife's grandparents had a big house at Blisland, and you can see I like the area.

Realistic operation is something I admire, so keeping the theme plausible is good, too. Keep it up!

• Like 1

Somewhere I have a picture (slide) of the Boscarne gates slung in the hedge long after closure. They had red targets on them but I can't remember which way they were hung. I think it was normal to hang a single gate from the left as view from outside the railway. (As you know Nick, I am away from home so can't check my references.

You have made a wise decision to use the foam.... Your weights are more interesting than mine. I hope the children don't buy their own presents for teacher!

Edited by Maurice Hopper
  • Like 2

Nice steady progress Nick, sometimes it can be better to start with a plan, then just let things gently evolve, bit like the real thing.

You'll know when it's right because you'll start to get that feeling, which is why freelancing can be so much fun, you can just go with the flow.

Ok, not everyone's ideal, but you don't have to get bogged down in prototype dogma and detail.....which can sometimes lead to stagnation and all that entails.

You can follow prototype rules and theory, and evolve you're own layout around them.

Enjoy the modelling.

Edited by BlackRat
  • Like 1