Hornby Thompson Suburban Coaches - LNER Teak issues

Guest Midland Mole

Guest Midland Mole

Just wanted to let everyone on here know that there seems to be an issue with the brand new Thompson Suburbans in LNER Teak from Hornby.

The ones in question are R4572A, R4573A & R4574A. We had them delivered to the shop this morning and upon opening the box, I could immediately see there was something off with the Teak effect on the coach sides. The Teak over-paint looks like it was applied by a child, and the pattern repeats on every panel (very noticeable on the brake).

When you compare the product image on the Hornby website:

Hornby2017%20102.png

With what arrived in the shop this morning:

HTSC%204.jpg

I am amazed that these are the same models! My boss has already said they are going back to Hornby. All of the 18 we had delivered are like this, but I don't know if all the coaches have been delivered to Hornby like this. We just wanted to let people know that this issue exists, in case anyone has pre-ordered them from retailers. It might be worth you checking with whoever you have ordered them from to see if they have the same problems.

HTSC%203.jpg

HTSC%201.jpg

HTSC%206.jpg

HTSC%205.jpg

Hopefully this is not a problem with the entire batch, and with any luck Hornby will rectify the issue.

Alex

Do Hornby not check what is sent from China?

Surely the merest glance would have been enough to indicate that there was a problem?

These models should never have got beyond Hornby's warehouse.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

Surely the merest glance would have been enough to indicate that there was a problem?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Agreed but as we know stuff happens and it seems does so on a regular basis.We have all been to swapmeets and shows and seen the unopened boxes branded Hornby..Thamesport.Postings on this kind of thing go back to the beginning of this forum,I'm afraid.

It must be said in their favour that matters are improving but this faux pas does nobody any favours at all.

Looks like the multi stage printing process originally used by Sanda Kan on the teaks, has been reduced to a much simpler tampo printing of a single colour onto the brown bodyshell base. Cost cutting? Or poor quality/process control?

Looks like the same pattern as used on the 63ft stock released a year or two back. So glad I bought several sets of the original Sanda Kan product :sungum:  

It would be nice to say that they don't look too bad, but they are awful. Where were the livery samples, for approval

before going ahead ?. Simulating teak effect on plastic in 4mm scale must be difficult enough, but in the past Hornby

have made a fair job of it.

How many unsaleable coaches have Hornby got on their hands, just at the time when they need as much cash as possible.

The recent Hornby Gresley suburbans have the same god awful MFI Pine look as well.  The Hornby Gresley Corridor versions appeared in a similar "livery" a couple of years ago , they are still trying to sell at some shops for about £25 each. They are all going downhill at the moment.

Bachmann showed examples of the Thompson Corridors in as almost as bad attempt. They are delayed for a update at the moment, according to Bachmann news.

Sadly for those haven't got any of the earlier Hornby  issues ,the price has just gone up on the decent Teak livery ones !!.

• RMweb Gold

Regards,

John Isherwood.

You're right, John, but Hornby don't have a warehouse any more. The previous 'management' outsourced warehousing and distribution to a logistics company as part of their master plan to vacate and sell off the Margate site. Now the people who know what the models are meant to look like are in a different location entirely to the incoming stock.

How many unsaleable coaches have Hornby got on their hands, just at the time when they need as much cash as possible.

Are they 'unsellable'? I'm sure there will be a few videos reviews by cold-laden kids off school on youtube, shoving the thing too close to the camera and exclaiming about the intricate wood effect finish ... and how 'some people say it's not very good but I think it's really really nice fine wood look'.... :-p

EDITED: Typo - ironic given the bashing of shoddy immaturity I refer to in this post!

Good grief!

I wasn't overly thrilled with the Locomotion 'BR-numbered' corridor teaks a couple of years back, though as these are my only teak-finish coaches the discrepancy with other earlier models doesn't matter so much.

But these look positively awful!

I suggest the best course of action is for BR-era modellers to wait for them to be sold-off cheap (which I don't doubt will happen), and buy them to repaint in crimson or maroon.  Even with the cost of paint and transfers that'll still be cheaper than buying the originals in those shades ,,,

You're right, John, but Hornby don't have a warehouse any more. The previous 'management' outsourced warehousing and distribution to a logistics company as part of their master plan to vacate and sell off the Margate site. Now the people who know what the models are meant to look like are in a different location entirely to the incoming stock.

.... then perhaps the product manager (or whatever) should get off his *rse and go to the outsourced warehouse and examine products BEFORE they are distributed to retailers?!?

I get the decided impression that no-one at Hornby feels that they 'own' their products any more - they've always got the excuse that it's the fault of the Chinese, so why bother with quality control?

They'll get a rude awakening if their jobs go down the pan, because they 'couldn't be bothered'!!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

I note a well-known box-shifter in the North West is offering these. Usually the website has multiple angle photos of a product, but this time it is simply the Hornby pre-pro shot, on which the livery looks reasonable. Disingenuous?

• RMweb Gold

All of which begs the question......what is to be done with these delinquent offerings ? Bachmann = send 'em back whence they came.

However,do Hornby have previous form on this ? I think they possibility do,if we remember the GWR B sets a few years back.

Let us hope they step up to the plate this time,do the honourable thing and return the consignment to the factory.Then ask the question.Just how was this allowed to happen? Then maybe turn it into a learning experience....

Good link it also show below the main picture, the Gresley suburban version with added yellow lining and the Bachmann Thompson looks like Weetabix version, which hopefully will never been seen again !!

Well, here is my original version (pause the video), alongside a Sanda Kan full brake, clear differences, but nothing like what Hornby have released.

https://youtu.be/eZUBmgBZKjs?t=1m39s

Interestingly I note the original Thompsons were dark brown base, with lighter brown teak effect, with darker graining. Even the original models were very different from the teak of the wooden bodied coaches.

The only 'plus' side of the new coaches is that the thick brown 'non scumbled' areas at the edge of the doors that featured on the originals has gone. But thats all that can be said...

Looks like the same pattern as used on the 63ft stock released a year or two back. So glad I bought several sets of the original Sanda Kan product :sungum:  

I had a few of those SK versions that I acquired with the Rare Bird Train Pack which were really quite good,

The ones I purchased some time later (a year or two ago)  to make up a decent sized rake, were awful (having that "laminated fake Baltic pine" look about them).

If anything these are even worse. It makes me quite sad to see these when you consider that Hornby had the Teak finish so well represented several years ago and have slipped to this !!!!

Let's hope that this is a glitch in Hornby's "resurrection" ,  (someone must have signed off on the original painted sample and they need to have their a##e kicked). If returning them isn't an option, I think it will mean they end up in the bargain bins very quickly. I'm not sure if Hornby can afford this at the present time.

I really want Hornby to stay afloat, I want to support them as much as I can and I try to defend them when the Hornby Bashing starts, but gee they make it hard when they produce clangers like this.

Overall during the last few months, Hornby seem to be moving forward, but as a person with ER interests these have left me somewhat disenchanted. :( :(

Archived