Hornby Thompson Suburban Coaches - LNER Teak issues

Guest Midland Mole

I note a well-known box-shifter in the North West is offering these. Usually the website has multiple angle photos of a product, but this time it is simply the Hornby pre-pro shot, on which the livery looks reasonable. Disingenuous?

Given they updated the pics on arrival of the stock the only Disingenuous one here would appear to be you.

The website wasn't updated when he posted that. I had a look to see what the fuss was about.

Jason

But it is now  ;)  and to imply Hattons were deliberate  in not having the pictures is simply wrong.

Just paint them a proper colour. :P

Seriously though I was interested in these as I've got a set of Comet ones that will end up in crimson. I was considering a couple of teak effect ones as I doubt they were repainted immediately. But I would rather not paint the teak effect myself. Looking at those efforts then I've not got much to worry about.

Jason

I can see tins of Phoenix Precision P995 / 6 / 7 flying off the shelves in a few months when the coaches are in the bargain bin. Other makes may be available, but they're my preferred finishes on Kirk kits and Triang / Hornby clerestories.

In my case it is more likely to be P116 and P303, although that might depend on how low the bargain bin prices for the coaches go.

• RMweb Gold

The finish puzzled me at firstWhere had I seen it, or something like it, before?Then the penny dropped.I think they made a visit to the zoo and copied a giraffe.Bernard

It reminds me of the camouflage used by the German navy during WW2.

Me thinks the days of finely decorated Hornby Teaks are past.  Well, given this is the 'future' I have just hooverd another Sanda Kan Teak, gresley buffet (the GCR have 3, so 2 on my layout isn't totally unrealistic).

Now if only I could find an R4172D B or A corridor third..... (pointers please...!).

Hasn't anyone noticed that the Hornby image included in the OP shows square-cornered windows to the compartments and round-cornered to the van sides...? http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/120513-Hornby-thompson-suburban-coaches-lner-teak-issues/?p=2637519

But otherwise a disaster. Why didn't Hornby just send over a sample of the best previous finish and say 'just like that, with this running number'? And was a sample sent to wherever they are based now?? And if one was, who signed off on it???

Best than can be done is to return them all for refinishing in Crimson or Maroon.

• RMweb Gold

Given they updated the pics on arrival of the stock the only Disingenuous one here would appear to be you.

Really? I checked that they were shown as on sale, with 10, 10 and 9 in stock. And all the pics were the pre-pro. But apparently you weren't loooking over my shoulder at the time, and I'm really quite glad.

• RMweb Gold

Thing is though all major retailers are now showing them on their websites.It will be interesting to note their response.Just how do they cope with this ? Easy for us to express howls of righteous indignation but difficult for them.

In a perfect world all the stock would be returned to Hornby unsold. But retailers need to eat, so that won't happen yet.

Really? I checked that they were shown as on sale, with 10, 10 and 9 in stock. And all the pics were the pre-pro. But apparently you weren't loooking over my shoulder at the time, and I'm really quite glad.

Thats fair enough but you have to bare in mine that stock levels are updated by computer automatically the instant the delivery is checked in,  where as all any retailer can do is show the mfr supplied pic until the stock has arrived, been unpacked, and then someone has to manually go to a warehouse and photo it, process it upload it before the pictures change on the website.  There will always be a lag, your word to describe them was harsh - as was mine using it to describe you - for that I apologise. 

• RMweb Gold

In a perfect world all the stock would be returned to Hornby unsold. But retailers need to eat, so that won't happen yet.

Undoubtedly you are correct.But it is interesting to reflect that the first to put his head over the parapet on this was........a retailer and not one of us.Rails by the way have both the first run and the new versions currently on sale.

We also need be mindful of the fact that many railway modellers are blissfully unaware of RMWeb or choose to avoid it .(Indeed after an ill tempered day such as this hereabouts who can blame them.) and may be more than happy to buy these. As you say Ian everyone needs to earn a crust.

FWIW, Hattons are offering Gresley corridor teaks, R4598, R4599, R4601 & R4602, for £45.00 apiece. These also are plagued with the questionable teak livery and are located in the second hand listing for March 03.

Soon to be altered to "ex-Hornby stuck stock".

Bargain Hunters will be going do-lally over the race to the bottom on these I suspect, if the retailers have little choice but to palm them off.

That said, I've no idea of the terms of contract. Is it within the more discerning led retailers rights to return these as unfit for general sale. We know of one shop boss at least that's adamant they will be returned to Hornby.

An (LNER) J50 and three "teak" coaches bundled up for, what, circa £129.99? Might avert some catastrophe...

C6T.

Archived