CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

Larry, I'm intrigued why you haven't cut out the window opening behind the lower bay window? Looking good, though.

Dave.

Thanks Dave. There is no detailed interior and so it seemed pointless cutting the stonework away to look inside when I can paint the back of the glazing black. It was quite effective on the building built for Greenfield. The booking hall should look longer than the house and so to restore some balance, the long wall was shortened tonight. It leaves more room for the tin shed that was the good shed.

The colour of the stonework is elusive. All my photos were 'general views' and so are slightly over-exposed in order to show shadow detail. I should revisit Carrog really and take carefully-exposed pictures of the buildings fabric before painting the model.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The initial weathering was done this evening one wall at a time. It is darker than intended, although it may have been somewhat darker when steam had an all year round presence, so I may go over it with dry-brushed enamel tomorrow. Corner stones have yet to be picked out as well...

attachicon.gifWEB Buildings 37.jpg

I wonder how many people noticed the long wall has been shortened (by almost 1½ inches). The reason for this is the setback portion of the station house is far longer than it should be and the building had the wrong balance. Shortening the wall has helped a lot visually. But the main reason is because there was insufficient room for the yet-to-be-built tin shed that acts as a good shed...

attachicon.gifWEB Buildings 38.jpg

That's a nice effect, Larry. Somehow I didn't think you were going to leave it in 'Cotswold stone!'

Slightly off-topic; I couldn't say much before because it would have spoiled a surprise, but I happened to know a friend of ours (he with Aston Martin) had missed out on Bachmann's blood & custard LMS 'Porthole' corridor third. Seeing as he would be calling in on us after a week on business, I built him one using Comet sides on my floor-pan and under-frame as a surprise. He collected it yesterday....

post-6680-0-60363500-1498034127_thumb.jpg

Modelers twigged long ago that most folk traveling by train went third class, but RTR manufacturers haven't it seems....

post-6680-0-13948600-1498034282_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 12

The nearest I ever got to "sporty" was a Ford Capri in the 1970's. My eldest son has a new Merc 2-seater sporty type and despite being taller than me, he disappears once he's in it and I have to go on my hands and knees to talk to him!  We can only go 70mph legally so why not do it in something big, automatic and supremely luxurious even if it takes 11 seconds to achieve 60 mph.  I'm still saving......! 

Getting there......The colouring was adjusted, the quoins added and the BR cream and reddish-brown added to timberwork. It isn't being rushed otherwise paint will be smudged. Everything is sticky enough in this heat....

post-6680-0-51997000-1498076172_thumb.jpg

The signalbox has had it dark brown lightened with reddish-brown too. The restored Carrog has this colour to a tee. It seemed common on the Welsh borders while dark brown was familiar elsewhere...

post-6680-0-84885600-1498076840.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 16

Everything is sticky enough in this heat....

Must be difficult to work in your shed at the moment. Even in mine (which is insulated) it's rather uncomfortable. 

I don't know if you intend to work to a sequence or WTT. But you can download the 1959 Chester Division WTT (Passenger and Freight) as PDF's. I've found them fascinating to look at, and I've used them as basis for Cwm Prysor operating sequence.

http://www.michaelclemensrailways.co.uk/?atk=561

http://www.michaelclemensrailways.co.uk/?atk=562

Edited by 9793

Must be difficult to work in your shed at the moment. Even in mine (which is insulated) it's rather uncomfortable. 

I don't know if you intend to work to a sequence or WTT. But you can download the 1959 Chester Division WTT (Passenger and Freight) as PDF's. I've found them fascinating to look at, and I've used them as basis for Cwm Prysor operating sequence.

I'm afraid my mind is very far from looking at timetables at the present. As soon as the signalbox was built, I kept the mood going by starting on the station, so this will keep me occupied for a few weeks. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Larry

Your work is always inspirational but I must say your efforts with Carrog are the best yet!  I love the attention to detail and your constant comparisons with the real thing.  I think that is something that most modellers only dream about but never do.

Looking forward to your ongoing progress.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Most useful, thank you for posting the links. As Larry says, early days also for me to be thinking timetables but it was good to see the list of locomotives allowed to operate the Ruabon Barmouth line. My ordered 51XX, originally for pure nostalgia on the North Warwickshire Line, can indeed pull B sets through Penmaenpool.

When I said everything was sticky during the heatwave, this was a reference to working indoors at my desk even with all the doors and windows open. The shed is never uncomfortable now it has four holes in it for tracks and the door wedged open, as these induce a flow through of fresh air. Winter will be colder of course, but I never go in there from November to March anyway. I was in there photographing the station buildings with no problems. Lots of disposable photos are taken as work progresses because I find them useful for highlighting faulty workmanship and for comparing colours with those of the prototype.

Tom, I never thanked you properly for the Michael Clemens timetable documents. As Paul has said, they will be useful. I enjoy a number of Mr.Clemens railway videos produced by B&R Video, as they were taken by an enthusiast and his son who did it when the steam railway was still an everyday activity. Much better than the end of steam 1967-68 shed roster stuff shot by everyone and his granny that pretends to show BR "as it really was" when in reality a whole one hour program is really only about one steam-hauled passenger train and perhaps two freights shown at different locations!

• Like 2

Tom, I never thanked you properly for the Michael Clemens timetable documents. As Paul has said, they will be useful. I enjoy a number of Mr.Clemens railway videos produced by B&R Video, as they were taken by an enthusiast and his son who did it when the steam railway was still an everyday activity. Much better than the end of steam 1967-68 shed roster stuff shot by everyone and his granny that pretends to show BR "as it really was" when in reality a whole one hour program is really only about one steam-hauled passenger train and perhaps two freights shown at different locations!

No problem Larry. I've found it very informative, as well as a 1954 copy a friend sent me which was useful to cross reference. I find WTT fascinating to study, perhaps as I'm too young to have seen these lost railways, it allows me to imagine travelling through this part of North Wales.

I've a few of Michael Clemens DVDs, my favourite (and I'm sure it's one you have) that features Ruabon-Barmouth as well as a trip up the Bala-Blaenau Branch (brief colour shot of Cwm Prysor) before working round on the North Wales Coast Route back to Chester. Isn't there some lovely colour footage around 1954 on the Cambrian coast of Prairie Tanks with Pre war Chocolate and Cream Stock?

Edited by 9793
  • Like 2

This is excellent Larry, as ever a wonderful model that captures the atmosphere and colour pallette of the prototype to the tee.

Il be thinking of this later in the week when il be passing through as a cleaner for my latest "turn".

All the best,

John

• Like 2