Andrew Barclay 14" & 16" 0-4-0ST in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

To be quite honest the fact that Katie is too short for a 16" Barclay doesn't really bother me as it has been given a a freelance name.  As far as I'm concerned Kildale (ex-Katie) could well be a bitza using parts from more than one loco.  Some industrial locations were absolute masters at kitbashing in 12" to the foot scale.

I'm more concerned that I bought one with an open cab back - but that is my fault, not Hattons.  I may yet get round to giving it a custom-made cab back like some Barclays got when drivers complained they received too much weather when running backwards.

However, the Pete Goss Driver Kildale now has sticks an elbow through the opening so I might just leave well alone.

Les

Be grateful for a post on how you did the P class

I intend to, just have to finish the job, take pics and write it up and exhibit at a show this weekend, hopefully with a converted P but not for sure.

Cheers,

David

Meet Driver Crippen & Jack the fitter  (tooled up with his universal spanner). If they can be ar$ed they may give a report on the finer points and possibly some of the more obscure observations on their Hattons Barclays over the coming days.

post-508-0-62494900-1524621973_thumb.jpg

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 9

Meet Driver Crippen & Jack the fitter  (tooled up with his universal spanner). If they can be ar$ed they may give a report on the finer points and possibly some of the more obscure observations on their Hattons Barclays over the coming days.

attachicon.gifAB-Medalling©PwD-073-EditSM.jpg

I think they're just trying to avoid having to look at the "temporary" repair to the portholes on the front of the cab, created by the workshop repurposing a sheet of perspex from the factory....

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I was waiting for my AB's to turn up Friday last and decided to heed Jenny K's advice given earlier up the thread so rather that doing my usual business I forewent my early sit on the throne and made do with a quick jump in the shower.

There I was working up a good lather, and musing over how I'd read about folk having difficulty unpacking their Barks, struggling to fit decoders and that maybe those unboxing videos weren't such a bad idea after all, when there comes a knocking on the door. "Oh dearie me", I thought to myself. Yes it was the postie but unlike James M. Cain would have us believe, my postie only ever knocks once.

Shouting through my open bathroom window, postie communication was established and confirmation of no signature required to complete delivery. "Drop the parcel in my (recently emptied) blue top bin" I requested. "Nee botha" came the reply. A few seconds later despite the bin being some fifteen yards distant, around a right angle bend, with me being upstairs and having my lug holes filled with the suds of Imperial Leather, the sound of a dull thud confirmed the postie had successfully completed his task.

Now I'm something of a forgetful type so a few hours later whilst sitting in a hospital waiting room, I remembered the events of the morning, thought to myself, I must  retrieve that parcel from my (recently emptied) bin and then maybe have a go at recording one of those unboxing videos. Now it's fair to say that I'm not a fan of unboxing vids In fact I hate the bl**dy things but for some inextricable reason, maybe something akin to a moth having a death with to singe itself in a flame?  I just had to have a go. It's my attempt to crash and burn. Well all went well until the very end of the recording. If you can stick watching the vid to the very end you will hear a dull thud. The result of me forgetting to fit a buffer stop. Crashed but not burnt!

That was the second dull thud I'd heard that day. It was the sound of the very end of Katie's second flying lesson of the day. A sudden loss of altitude of approximately four feet which was about two feet less than her (and Kevin's) earlier flight but this time without the benefit of Hattons copious airbags.

Amazingly Katie suffered no ill effects whatsoever, although it could explain why she is a full scale nine inches shorter than what a prototype 16 inch Barclay is.

P

that was so funny just like watching a video of me

• RMweb Gold

If you're after a 16", the wheelbase is the least of your concerns: it's short over frames, tank and footplate. The tank should be wider, the boiler bigger and so on. If it's a 14" you're after then it's not at all bad. That was a design/production decision which, it seems, most are content with. I'm not, especially, but that's my problem: I can do the work necessary to make my compromised 14" tank into a proper 14" tank on a new EM chassis in time.

Adam

Well, that's very interesting. I hadn't looked too  closely before.

At least that makes the decision for me, which of my two Hattons Barclays stays in OO and which one gets converted to P4.

attachicon.gifAB-Medalling©PwD-073-EditSM.jpg

By the way has anybody else noted that something Jack the Fitter needs to attend to is the whistle. Unlike Hornby's Peckett the steam pipe in the cab doesn't connect with the whistle on the roof - and the problem isn't confined to Katie. OK I'm being very picky but you can't help notice it in the open cab

Edited by Caledonian

I continue to note that there has been a lack of Andrew Barclays seen in the wild here in Australia. I think that Aussie post is holding them all to ransom.... I was thinking now that tomorrow is actually 14 days which is about the limit for air mail from the UK to Australia they must be due any tick of the clock... but as the weekend is coming up fast we won't as usual see them until next week thereby reducing the chances to run them on the layouts!

I continue to note that there has been a lack of Andrew Barclays seen in the wild here in Australia. I think that Aussie post is holding them all to ransom.... I was thinking now that tomorrow is actually 14 days which is about the limit for air mail from the UK to Australia they must be due any tick of the clock... but as the weekend is coming up fast we won't as usual see them until next week thereby reducing the chances to run them on the layouts!

I can confirm no sightings in Perth yet, nor the Tanami Desert!

J

Edited by Down_Under

My CPC liveried one gets a running session along with the SECR P class:

It benefitted from adjustment to the pickup wipers and some running in. The jerkiness on the outdoors section was down to my lack of cleaning rubber (the rubber expired 2/3 of the way through cleaning and I had to use a piece of wood instead, with not quite so effective results) 

• Like 3

Having an interest in the Scottish shale oil industry I have been looking at a suitable new ownership for a wee pug.

Most of the Barclay locomotives were from an earlier period but a few from the late 1920s were used in the industry.

Some odd and/or interesting company names turn up when looking up references.

For a start there is COW. Coneypark Oil Works

NOW. Nettlehouse Oil Works.

WOW. Whitebog Oil Works.

BOW. Boghall Oil Works

Seeing the direction this is heading we can move on to Nitshill, Rochsoles and Roscholloch. 

Bernard

It may not have jazzy initials and it may not involve shale oil, but an ideal Scottish accompaniment in that direction might be the Scottish Fish Oil and Guano Company Ltd - Harburns commissioned one of their tankers from Dapol a few years ago, but I don't know if they had a loco of their own

It may not have jazzy initials and it may not involve shale oil, but an ideal Scottish accompaniment in that direction might be the Scottish Fish Oil and Guano Company Ltd - Harburns commissioned one of their tankers from Dapol a few years ago, but I don't know if they had a loco of their own

It would have to be a fireless loco ............ not 'cos the product is inflammable - but you'd never get anyone daft enough to drive a conventional loco fired with that stuff ( in solid or liquid form ).

Well I can confirm that Katie has made her way from the uk to Australia... in fact I am over the moon by the little loco. Well for some reason late on a Friday night I changed my mind and went to put a Bachman 6 pin chip in the loco. Well I can confirm we have another chip that doesn't fit!

Looks like I am placing another order for the gaugemaster chip!

Edited by DougN

My CPC liveried one gets a running session along with the SECR P class:

It benefitted from adjustment to the pickup wipers and some running in. The jerkiness on the outdoors section was down to my lack of cleaning rubber (the rubber expired 2/3 of the way through cleaning and I had to use a piece of wood instead, with not quite so effective results) 

It is so weird!!

In some light, the CPC livery looks too light, I know , I've got one! In other light it looks perfect!

Look at the shots on industrial modelling site.

She and I knew each other quite well in the 70s.

Great model though!!

chris.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My Andrew Barclay has taken on a more weathered and unkempt look along with the fitting of wooden dumb buffers for dockside use on Canute Road Quay more pictures here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/114980-canute-road-quay/?p=3143256

post-243-0-87474700-1524842929_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Well I can confirm that Katie has made her way from the uk to Australia... in fact I am over the moon by the little loco. Well for some reason late on a Friday night I changed my mind and went to put a Bachman 6 pin chip in the loco. Well I can confirm we have another chip that doesn't fit!

Looks like I am placing another order for the gaugemaster chip!

Nice pic of her you sent me last night. :)

I was hoping the Bachmann 36-568 decoder could be persuaded to fit into the AB, possibly with slightly shortened pins, but in view of yours and others' findings, I have just spent a pleasant half hour swapping two 6-pin CT Elektronik DCX75 decoders out of my two Bachmann E4 0-6-2T locomotives, replacing them with the Bachmann decoders I had intended to fit in the ABs when they arrived (not here yet, for me!). The E4s run nicely with the Bachmann (actually Zimo) decoders, but we'll have to wait and see how well the CT Elektronik decoders work in the ABs. I recall that I had to play around with the BEMF settings on them to get the E4s to work properly.

By the way has anybody else noted that something Jack the Fitter needs to attend to is the whistle. Unlike Hornby's Peckett the steam pipe in the cab doesn't connect with the whistle on the roof - and the problem isn't confined to Katie. OK I'm being very picky but you can't help notice it in the open cab

Driver Crippen & Jack the fitter apologises for the lack of info. They are working as a priority on a loco that has to be completed for Railex so time is at a premium. Jack has pulled out some drawings and ran his tape measure over a standard AB 14 & 16 inchers and will report back when he finds the time.

Jack also has some pressing family matters to attend to but did try to fix to the whistle. He tried bending the pipe by giving it it a good seeing too with his hammer shaft but not in an attempt at adjusting its alignment. It was more a case of "having a go" at it as an object of frustration as it reminded him very much of the hookah pipe he had found his daughter sucking on in her bedroom last evening!

For relaxation he decided to strip loco 705 in preparation for some fine tuning and conversion to AB-2119/1941. Jack asks that his thanks be passed onto Hattons factory workers as they have used virtually no glue in the assembly process of these locos making fiddling a joy, but beware of your knobs (handgrabs) dropping out.

He sends this photo showing his progress. The Hookah pipe that is causing so much family strife is uppermost. Driver Crippen refused to drive this loco on delivery as there was no pressure gauge fitted and the water gauges lacked sight glasses. Jack the fireman pointed out that he wasn't living in the real world but to Driver Crippen, that fact mattered not and he went home in the huff to take things out on his pigeons.

post-508-0-19021500-1524882559_thumb.jpg

When Driver Crippen wasn't taking things out on his pigeons he was spending time looking for a matching paint so he can touch up Katie once she gets a little jaded.

post-508-0-66644900-1524882573_thumb.jpg

Jack was surprised to find electrickery bits inside of 705 but soon mastered the sparking bits. He's now a Zimo convert and reckons a MX621 N fits no troubles with an MX616N being an even easier fit.

This is a 621 compared to the Hattons blanking plug.

post-508-0-24696300-1524884428_thumb.jpg

P. pp D Crippen and Jack the fitter.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 2

Well thanks to Porcy above this would have saved the 2 hrs I had of head scratching why the chip wouldn't work. Yes if you see above i tried to figure out if I could just give the chassis a run in on the layout.

First the layout didn't want to run out of being annoyed at me for not running a train in a couple of months. It finally gave in... then to a naked chassis of the AB... chip no registered... grr in plug try again... grr... trim the length of the pins by about 2mm from the Bachman chip. Still nothing... alright I'm going to take up flower arranging.... but before that turn the chip the other way up.... bingo... chip registered and loco working ... umm if I use a little black tack and hold the circuit board on the out side of the lugs the ensemble might fit... oh she ran very nicely... right back to put the body on... don't forget the injectors under the foot plate on this one need to pull aside to allow the chassis back in.., then the pipe work to the sides of the boilers... everything slid into place.. umm back on the track and I see that the injectors pipe work under the foot plate catches on one side very slightly each revolution. Ok enough of this I will look at it again tomorrow as this is frustrating but she does run nicely but skips on each revolution.

Placing her along side of the Hornby peckett... I think I prefer the AB... both are cutesy but there is something more about the AB... may be it is slightly larger, looks more powerful... I really don't know.

• Like 1