The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Dyson to make electric cars !

Ron Ron Ron

Interesting article, including the reference to the cyclone-type particle extractor for diesel exhausts. This wasn't a new idea, and actually works quite well within limits, but the reason such devices aren't widely used us that they interfere with the flow dynamics of the exhaust, don't contribute to non-particulate emission scrubbing and don't contribute to the flame-retardant aspects which are quite important for a lot of industrial vehicles.

I'd hesitate to describe the C5 as an "electric car", indeed I don't ever recall seeing one in actual use, but it WAS quite an advanced piece of moulding technology for its time (some sources credit it with being the largest one-piece injection moulding yet produced) and I've seen references to it being primarily a promotion stunt by the moulding company. Sir Clive was undoubtedly very talented in that respect (remember his crude, but widely bought Spectrum computer?)

Nothing like a positive response to a positive story.

What's 'positive' about it?  Pure PR puff, like much of what comes out of the Dyson organisation.

800 man years and they've come up with...an electric motor?  Whoop-de-flippin'-do.

It'll probably be a "digital" motor, though, like in his vacuum cleaners.  Not just a common-or-garden brushless motor like I've got in my cordless drill, but a digital one - so it must be 'better', right?

http://www.eevblog.com/2010/12/13/eevblog-132-delusional-dyson-marketing

Only had 2 Dyson vacuums in some 20 odd years, best piece of kit going.

I'm glad you've been happy with your Dysons.  My Henry is 12 years old and still going.  And it's British.  The vacuum it replaced (one of the European brands IIRC) was even older, and only got chucked out after we'd completely knackered it cleaning up the debris left by all the building, plastering, electrics,  plumbing and carpentry work we had done when me moved in to our current house.  At the time that one was coughing its last Dysons had a terrible reputation for quality and longevity.  Which? called them out on it on a regular basis, as well as finding that you other vacuums they tested - even non-cyclone ones - performed just as well as Dysons.

I have never seen a professional cleaner using a Dyson.  It's usually Henry, Miele or Kärcher.

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Like 1

Agree.

But then again, James is British, so no chance of any support.

Mike.

We've had two or three over time (exactly WHICH vacuum cleaner we have at any given time, doesn't tend to be information I have at my fingertips) and the domestic authorities seem happy enough... which is all I care.

I don't believe for a moment, that "800 man-years" have been devoted to the item, although there may well have been 200 personnel in the office for 4 years.

Edited by rockershovel

• RMweb Gold

Agree.

But then again, James is British, so no chance of any support.

Mike.

Same as you we've had 2 Dyson since 1998/9 and they've worked much better than others I've used in peoples houses I've worked in, first one only stopped due to 'operator error' 

Further up the thread a poster mentioned 'Miele'  sadly for me in years of kitchen fitting the only 2 items that didn't work and had to be returned were both Miele, the return service was good but paying £700+ for a washing machine it should be !

• RMweb Premium

What's 'positive' about it?  Pure PR puff, like much of what comes out of the Dyson organisation.

800 man years and they've come up with...an electric motor?  Whoop-de-flippin'-do.

It'll probably be a "digital" motor, though, like in his vacuum cleaners.  Not just a common-or-garden brushless motor like I've got in my cordless drill, but a digital one - so it must be 'better', right?

http://www.eevblog.com/2010/12/13/eevblog-132-delusional-dyson-marketing

I find that rather sad and it sums up so much of what is wrong with this country.

A British businessman announces an ambitious plan to develop an electric car (you may be unaware that designing and building a car needs a little bit more than just an electric motor) and these plans will involve some R&D work in the UK, providing jobs. I’ve no idea where the car will be built (assuming that it reaches fruition) but at least some jobs and some of the benefits will be felt in this country. Rather than celebrate that as a good news story people would rather sneer and make derisive comments, kind of begging the question of if it is so easy why aren’t those doing the sneering having a go at building a commercial enterprise in the way Dyson have.

I can’t help feeling that people would rather read another story about a factory closing, a company going bankrupt, mass unemployment etc. Over the last year or so a certain event has meant that the media and many people are like pigs rolling in muck as they gleefully tell us all how we’re all doomed, the sky is about to fall in etc. For some reason, as a nation we seem to revel in bad news and negativity about our own country.

Edited by jjb1970
  • Like 1

Coming home from work one day in the mid 80's from Warrington, a cold dark November evening just after 5pm. The A49 Winwiick Road up to the M6 was (as usual) busy, but very slow this particular evening. Then I saw the reason - some twerp in a Sinclair C5, pedalling furiously, hardly any lights and a big artic behind him. Everyone slowing to look & laugh. - "Mincemeat by Winwick Island" I thought !!!!!!!!!!!!

As to Dyson cleaners  - we have one - its OK but wouldn't buy another as it was overpriced & a "British" product now made abroad. He can stick his electric cars also if they are to be made in China.

I'm not overly impressed with electric cars. Neighbour has just bought a BMW one - nice but over 30 Grand !! - far, far too expensive (for me), Add to that range questionability, etc.etc. I will wait & see, though doubt I ever will buy one. 

My son has just bought a one year old Hyundai i30 diesel. Affordable insurance grouping, free road tax, 50mpg, 4 years left on warranty, tons of kit, change from 10 grand- Far more sensible.

Brit15

• RMweb Premium

The R&D department is here in the UK, certainly.

Yes but it's the manufacturing that we desperately need to take place in this country.  I find it hypocritical of Dyson to harp on about investing in the UK when all he's really after is profit maximisation for himself...

comrade ;)

• RMweb Gold

Yes but it's the manufacturing that we desperately need to take place in this country.  I find it hypocritical of Dyson to harp on about investing in the UK when all he's really after is profit maximisation for himself...

comrade ;)

You're right,  what we need are low grade jobs rather than the lucrative bit.  

• Like 1