Hornby 2019 announcements

Andy Y

I didn't know about those as it isn't my era thus if that's the case then the Belmond Pullman Pack is a crazy bargain especially when you can pre-order for about £203 from Rails, you are literally getting 2 free coaches at that price and how Hornby are making any money on that is anybody's guess  :scratchhead:

Probably the same way as they are doing the other train packs.

Class 71 with two Pullmans for about £200 for example. RRP a bit more, but nobody buys at RRP.

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/60564/R3791-Hornby-Sovereign-Pullman-Days-Train-Pack

At the end of the day it's a sale and money in the bank.

Jason

That “Really?” was in response to mention of a Class 48. In turn, the mention was in response to someone who asked what hadn’t been done in RTR. Are you telling me that a Class 48 has been done in RTR?

No, I'm not questioning that, it hasn't - but it's a hair-splitting exercise akin to 47/6 or 47/9 hasn't been done in RTR.  

• Like 1

They caught my eye too as I've a thing for the Northern Belle, having done a few trips on it. It was the ViTrains twin pack a few years ago that got me back into railway modelling.

I already have a full rake, but I see 'Alnwick' is now in the Coach Pack. Can't see me buying a whole pack though just to get that 1 coach. I've got some transfers (Frizzinghall?) that I've to get round to applying to one of my duplicates. Surprised they didn't do the Mk3 Sleeper named Balmoral as the Crewe version still goes for silly money on eBay. The brake car 17167 has been named Mow Cop for some time, but Hornby don't seem to have reflected this, unless the model will be updated from the publicity shots.

As for the train pack, I've got all the coaches and I would need to be really convinced that they have accurately modelled the 57 in its new West Coast livery. Besides, with 2 x ViTrains 47's, a Hornby 46 and 2 x Bachmann 57's, my Northern Belle fleet is already excessive.

I'm the same, have the full rake but not going to buy a pack for just 1 coach (Alnwick) and was hoping Hornby would have done other named coaches not done in the past...not to worry.

Probably the same way as they are doing the other train packs.

Class 71 with two Pullmans for about £200 for example. RRP a bit more, but nobody buys at RRP.

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/60564/R3791-Hornby-Sovereign-Pullman-Days-Train-Pack

At the end of the day it's a sale and money in the bank.

Jason

Yes indeed it is.

Having said that it's strange how the Hornby Northern Belle Train Pack is more expensive than the Belmond Pullman Train Pack having an equal amount of items of lesser quality, stumped on that one unless you bring in licensing costs???

Quality comment! I wonder how many people will get it? Maybe I should be more subtle with my prog references in future, and any suggestions for which band to use next?

It was Zero Gravitas that got it first.

I mainly knew as I quite like Porcupine Tree so occasionally listen to the solo stuff. But I'm more at the heavier end of Prog.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear!!!, credit card just melted!!! Well done Hornby,

Mike                                                                                 

Edited by ikks

I Thought the same, The 67 is far superior to the 47! I can only think it must be licensing costs making the difference. Unless they are doing a bigger run of the pullman and are expecting to get money back that way.

Richard

Hi Richard, the loco is actually a WCR Class 57 which was surprising albeit Railroad tooling...or is it just the 47 with 57601 slapped on it???

Edited by classy52

• RMweb Premium

I'm hoping the Bulleids will match my Hornby Maunsells, I know the Bachmann shade matches the prototype colour well, but it looks way too dark on a 1:76 scale model. 

Bachmann will do as they will but if theirs turn up in "stealth green", I'll just get crimson/cream ones. Hence no pre-orders from me on those.

John

I have found that if you use daylight tubes in strip-lights it sort of evens out the greens on the Bulleid collection. Yup, honestly.

Phil

There's lots of useful stuff in this range for beginners and intermediate enthusiasts.  Hornby did well.

The "Flying Scotsman in the U.S.A." item looks like fun.  I wonder whether an H0 scale version might have sold in the U.S.A.  Probably not worth the cost of the tooling for a one-off set.  (I would have bought one, though.)

• RMweb Premium

A J36 in ROD livery - excellent!  But in khaki?

In Aves excellent book on the ROD (R.O.D. - The Railway Operating Division on the Western Front) he tells us that NBR locos were in their original livery in 1916 (black lined yellow) and were,like other locos sent either in that livery to France or, where repainted, it was in plain black or grey. He adds "As time went on most ROD tender locos were repainted plain black with the letters ROD, and in some cases their running numbers, in large 20" white characters on their tenders."

A photo of the loco from Hornby appears on page 118 of his book with ROD 5662 on the tender on its return from France at the end of the war.  The loco would have been black at the time it had this livery having arrived in France in November 1917 and returned to Eastfield Shed in around May 1919.  Black was the predominant colour of ROD locos yet both the Oxford Dean Goods and this J36 appear in khaki.  Is it too late to get Hornby to change it to the correct black?

Our reference comes from from the North British Railway Study Group, in their Journal 125 of July 2015. Euan Cameron, of that Society, states that several photographs in the NBR collection exist showing the engines painted in an all-over drab of either khaki or dark grey, although khaki would have been the easiest colour to apply over the NB livery of the time, similar to the GWS’s Mogul 5322 between 2008 and 2012. As we've dealt closely with the NBRSG throughout the J36 project, we see no reason to doubt their take on the subject and whilst I will cross reference against Aves, the information supplied by the NBRSG, along with reference to ROD files at the National Archives, has guided our interpretation of the subject.

I hope that helps?

Best wishes,

Paul.

• Like 6

An interesting set of announcements but nonetheless slightly disappointing, IMO. The Peckett 0-6-0ST is a solid choice and I reckon the Ruston, which after discounts should come in at about £60, will be a surprise hit. I'm rather tempted to place a pre-order! The Princess was an obvious candidate for a retool as well.

However, the Large Prairie, the Mk2Fs, the Bulleids and the Terrier strike me as curious choices. The last thing the hobby needs right now is head-to-head competition on popular subjects as one manufacturer is guaranteed to lose out. With the Adams Radial it was Oxford; with the King it was Hornby who drew the short straw. Dapol have only just entered the RTR steam market; and I'm a bit worried they'll pull out altogether now two of their projects have been duplicated. Admittedly Hornby might have had a headstart on the Prairie but I think better communication is needed going in to 2020. It would be terribly embarrassing if Dapol managed to improve their CAD and Hornby examples sit on shelves. The GWR locomotive this year should have been a Saint.

Hornby should also stay clear of big locomotive retoolings for a while. The Rebuilt MN is a case in point; reliveries of the old one are still available brand new at the £140 mark, and it's a great model that they probably wouldn't be able to improve upon significantly. In case I get accused of regional bias, I think the same about the A4 and A3, providing they fix the ski jump on the latter. As for diesels, I reckon the Class 37 and 47 would make good projects for Hattons one day, but I can't see demand being high enough right now.

Personally I'd like to see a retool and duplication free year in 2020. More genuinely brave choices like the 48DS and J36, please!

Edited by nathan70000
  • Like 1

So... Hornby have announced the 2019 range. 

My first impression was - that Hornby must have done some recruiting. Mainly this is due to the excellent way in which a lot of the current scene diesel and electric models have been selected. There is a lot of attention to detail such as which ones go with which operators and the information looks to be spot on. Previously in the past, Hornbys labeling has been very much wide of the mark, an example being different versions of Northern class 156 listed as regional, etc. Thankfully this looks to be corrected. Also interesting to note is just how much of the new release comes from the GBRf stable, who are a lot more accommodating to having their own engines done in model form than other companies. 

The main range now has a lot of the present scene in it, a move to satisfy a lot of pent up demand with models that people are clearly after. Yes some might be older tooling, but Hornby, as said by many is offering a model under the price of some of the extra detail versions of competitors. The Limby 66, 47 and 92 will still be popular with some. Hornby is cashing in here on models that are cheap to make and should be wanted to get the cashflow returning in. Nice move. 

However, you then start to run into the duplication issue at full speed. The Mk.2's will clash with Bachmann who have got some of theirs to market already, going against Hatton's and Bachmann with the class 66, Rails and the Terrier and Dapol with the large Prairie tank. This I think might be a cause for concern, while Hornby is likely to undercut many of the competition, I hope it doesnt mean that Hornby is left ruing missed opportunities to have entered other markets as the chance was there for the taking. With the successful J36 being done, the chassis could form the basis for a whole plethora of Eastern region medium goods and passenger engines - with J21 Id suggest at being the next one in line. The costs are down as the chassis is done, but theres no move on this. 

Instead whether by design or choice Hornby have retooled some old favorites. The large Western tank was long overdue, but Dapol was moving in here too. Was it already too far to stop or is Hornby looking to get out first? The matching stock is also a clever move. Indeed there is a lot of matching stock. Everything from the new door Mk. 3's, Western coaches and Southern ones to match Hornbys very generous Southern range. Harry potter fans are perhaps a new means of getting into Hobby, like Thomas used to be, with an engine and stock done. I cant help feel that perhaps the station from an NER range is included as it was sat on shelves having been done by both Bachmann, Hornby and The Model Centre. Everyone at one point wanted to model Goathland... 

Its great too to see the scenic range making a massive comeback. I think Hornby can recoup a lot from being able to supply everything needed for a model to be made. This I think will serve them well if supplies can be maintained, so that it avoids something like this relaunch in the future. 

I actually find it quite far from the 'new dawn' that was hinted at - instead its shoring up a market you already in, but makes Hornby come out looking strong and with a future, but duplication is a risk. While the range for the modern element provided some interest, the steam elements staying Southern and Western have perhaps caused Hornby to miss a chance at expanding. I think these areas are fast becoming over saturated with supply - which is telling given that the steam releases concentrate on Flying Scotsman and Mallard. Its avoiding West Countries, 700s and S15s which are all sat on bargain shelves.

I don't doubt that Hornby's selection for steam is going to go down well, but again many of use modelling somewhere else are left waiting hoping that it dawns on Hornby that there's more to steam than the South or Western regions and the Midland or Scottish regions that have gained attention. If Hornby had looked at the range a North Eastern engine would have filled the only gap left following on from the successful Q6 and hit an area that has been polling well for years. It would have seen Hornbys range take stock, get shorn up but also step forward with a bold vision that it knows all markets and all areas. So this new dawn for me does not look great. More a general overcast, chance of sunshine later... 

Edited by The Black Hat
  • Like 2

Our reference comes from from the North British Railway Study Group, in their Journal 125 of July 2015. Euan Cameron, of that Society, states that several photographs in the NBR collection exist showing the engines painted in an all-over drab of either khaki or dark grey, although khaki would have been the easiest colour to apply over the NB livery of the time, similar to the GWS’s Mogul 5322 between 2008 and 2012. As we've dealt closely with the NBRSG throughout the J36 project, we see no reason to doubt their take on the subject and whilst I will cross reference against Aves, the information supplied by the NBRSG, along with reference to ROD files at the National Archives, has guided our interpretation of the subject.

I hope that helps?

Best wishes,

Paul.

I'll speak to them at their stand at the Glasgow Show in February but any loco with the ROD 5662 lettering would have been painted in France, whatever colour it arrived there in earlier.  And it would have been painted black.  I'll just buy an LNER one, remove the lining and put my own lettering/numbers on.

• RMweb Premium

That pair of Royal liveried Limby Class 47's, is the RRP of £74.95 for the pair or each?  (Should be latter, expect the former!)

Also has anyone managed to get the Hornby website to work at all?

Edited by John M Upton

Looks like a good list to me, should be something for most folk. Clearly spending money that they set up the loan facility to provide. Perhaps this level of activity accounts for the decided reduction in 'Engine Shed' output? The designers can be showing what they are about at some cost to output, or getting on at maximum speed with development, and letting the product do the talking when it arrives? Given the need to earn money, if it is the latter that's the right call in circumstances.

Particularly encouraging, production of unit train liveries to provide a 'full set' in one hit. Hope that in time this approach spreads throughout the range..

Bittern Ran with 2 tenders early in itsa last ticket, but in BR green as Bittern, and Dominion of New Zealand in Garter blue, it hasn't ran as 4464 Bittern with the twin tenders, slight fail on Horby's part there, though the rest of the offerings look fantastic. 

I always like seeing A4s. Bittern is tempting me. Shame no all new A1/A3 as I won't buy new releases due to the quality issues around the front end.

I shall watch all new models with interest as usual but my wallet is safe for another week at least

A box van equipped with sound? Interesting... hmmmmm. I wonder what sound it will make?

New Peckett 0-6-0 and the Ruston look great, but if I'm having the Ruston it certainly won't be wired up to that shunter's truck for long (edit - the truck is apparently, plug and play, so happy days). 

The experimental purple A4 is nice, when did Bittern run with two tenders? 

Edited by Paul_sterling

However, the Large Prairie, the Mk2Fs, the Bulleids and the Terrier strike me as curious choices. The last thing the hobby needs right now is head-to-head competition on popular subjects as one manufacturer is guaranteed to lose out. With the Adams Radial it was Oxford; with the King it was Hornby who drew the short straw. Dapol have only just entered the RTR steam market; and I'm a bit worried they'll pull out altogether now two of their projects have been duplicated. Admittedly Hornby might have had a headstart on the Prairie but I think better communication is needed going in to 2020.

GWR Large Prairie (Duplication)

BR Mk.2F (Different segment in the market, therefore not duplication)

SR Bulleid coaches (Not duplication)

A1/A1X Terrier (Same spec but different price points, Hornby being the cheaper one) Also the Terrier will be sold via all channels unlike the Dapol one.

• RMweb Premium

It's been very slow and some pages have come up as 502 Bad Gateway first time round, but I managed to look at all the New for 2019 pages over my lunch break. RMWeb has been slow too at times, with images being slow to upload. Presumably both down to the high volume of traffic.

That “Really?” was in response to mention of a Class 48. In turn, the mention was in response to someone who asked what hadn’t been done in RTR. Are you telling me that a Class 48 has been done in RTR?

Class 48 was sort of done. A small group of 47's were re-engineered, but never received class 48 as a TOPS Classification. I dont think any exist now. I'll have to check my reference (the 47's), for more info. 

Paul. 

That pair of Royal liveried Limby Class 47's, is the RRP of £74.95 for the pair or each?  (Should be latter, expect the former!)

£74.95 each....that's the RRP from Hornby.

- Yes, works fine for me.

Edited by MGR Hooper!