Hornby 2019 announcements

Andy Y

Did Lima ever tool up the 5 door variant of the class 66 or will some of those Class 66 liveries be on the incorrect body style?

Mark

Lima only tooled up the Class 66 based on the original ones. Some will have incorrect bodies and light clusters but that won't matter to people on a budget and children.

Lima only tooled up the Class 66 based on the original ones. Some will have incorrect bodies and light clusters but that won't matter to people on a budget and children.

...and they will be over priced and generally not good enough on any count. A spoiler fired in Hattons direction but I guess we know who will win? 

Just noticed yet another (diesel powered) tank on someone's lawn. The GWR Railcar has finally been released as part of the Railroad range, and at a very competitive £49.99 RRP (thus £40-45 after discount).

Will cream off some future Heljan sales I bet!

CoY

I see it shows on their website and it was included in the press day but we were subsequently advised that it would not be in the 2019 range.

Also in WHSmiths and Tesco. But they never seem to advertise the fact.

They do the same with the Airfix catalogue and magazine if anyone is interested.

https://shop.keypublishing.com/product/View/productCode/AF19BUNDLE/Airfix%202019%20Catalogue%20Bundle

Jason

W.H.Smiths at Swanage have never had the combined Hornby Magazine and Catalogue offer and the staff do not know anything about it. I have always got mine directly from the publishers at the same price post free.

• RMweb Gold

Did Lima ever tool up the 5 door variant of the class 66 or will some of those Class 66 liveries be on the incorrect body style?

Mark

Lima were finished before the 5-door variant of the prototype ever existed IIRC. Whether Hornby do something about it remains to be seen. 

John

• RMweb Premium

Whilst there's nothing that makes me want to rush down to the model shop, I think it's great to see both the HST and 66s re-established in the Railroad range. The full-size HSTs may be rapidly approaching retirement, but they and the 66s are pretty much staples for anyone modelling the current scene. I've been saying for a long time that Hornby need to make models that youngsters are familiar with, at a price they can afford, and it seems they are listening - I suspect the success of GMRC may have had something to do with this, though it would perhaps have been better had these models come out three months ago (during the series/in the run-up to Christmas).

The pricing of the HST seems a little 'odd' though - two power cars on their own are the same price as the train set with power cars, centre coach, track and controller. I would have thought that if the set retails at £119 then it ought to have been possible to release the power cars at below the psychological £100 barrier, bearing in mind it's effectively a Railroad loco and a 'coach'!

I'm still not sure that the Crosti 9F is really appropriate for the Railroad Range. Not only is it at the top end of Railroad prices, it's not something the majority of people Railroad is aimed at will be familiar with.

I still wonder at the benefit of the interchangeable parts on the Princess. Until now, I didn't realise there were variations between class members (except of course, the Turbomotive - do Hornby have plans for this?) and I'd suspect that the majority of potential purchasers don't either. Of those who do, many would have either turned a blind eye or modified it themselves (or just bought a different identity where the variation isn't a problem). Too many interchangeable parts increases tooling and manufacturing costs which get passed on to the majority of purchasers who aren't really all that bothered about the variations.

I think you need to watch out here . The trainset HST is based on the former Lima loco . While the power cars you refer to are the full fat Hornby models . I’d rather have had the new liveries eg ScotRail on the Lima model and a reduced price , but I accept in terms of cash generation, which is important to Hornby , that selling the full fat version in these colours initially makes more sense . I will splash the cash on a new ScotRail one .

Interesting comment from Hillside on the 66s being the equivalent of multi coloured 0-4-0s . They are a bit more expensive of course, but I see his point . I hadn’t realised that they must be inaccurate as the body styles should be different on some of these locos, with the later low emissions variant. As has been said though these models are to appeal to the younger Modeller , although they do tend to be more knowledgable on these variations than me!

• RMweb Gold

Thinking about the 66s, are they actually the modern day equivalent of the bright and cheerful liveries on the various 0-4-0 bodies, albeit modelled on actual locos? True, they are not at the same price point, but then they are bigger. The question then is, what do they haul? Is junior (or perhaps not so junior) happy with a random selection of wagons? Do coaches fit the bill, for that market? Whatever it is that appeals to the intended market, I hope they sell well and put money in Hornby's bank account so that we all can gain in the future.

This is anecdotal, rather than data, but from the point of view of my own 6 year old boy, he will welcome the new 66s. Price point means he (me!) can afford them - even TTS sound fitted becomes an option. He borrows a Bachmann 66 of mine which usually sits in the cupboard, and uses it on coaches, or rakes of old Hornby vans/wagons as often as prototypical trains. 

I suspect he will also appreciate the HSTs in the Railroad range as well. These are both the sorts of trains kids see day-in day-out on the real railway, and being able to copy that on their own set-ups will be key. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I figure that depends upon which variants they select - original Rail Blue always seems to sell sooner rather than later, as do the umpteen BR Green versions that are out there - you can never have too many Rail Blue 08s surely?  :sungum:   For my money 08644 'Laira' was a little too quirky in the wrong way (current/'pastiche' Rail Blue); and I figure that the DB 08 is perhaps hampered by the fact that's it's only available with TTS - that's the only reason I haven't bothered to purchase the DB version myself - sure I know that the sound can be removed but I guess the initial price tag has discouraged me from hitting the 'Add to cart' button.

Personally I reckon that a Foster Yeoman Class 08 would do pretty well, particularly with the upcoming Dapol 59s and accompanying wagons, and no doubt all the Foster Yeoman-inspired layouts that may follow.  If anything I was expecting that a GWR 08 might have appeared in this year's range, hopefully that may come next year.

I quite agree. 08 644, while Rail blue, isnt suitable for 70s/80s. I'd really like to get a true blue Hornby 08. My son got a Hornby 09 for Christmas, and comparing it to my Bachy 08 means I now want a Hornby 08 in blue. 

• RMweb Gold

W.H.Smiths at Swanage have never had the combined Hornby Magazine and Catalogue offer and the staff do not know anything about it. I have always got mine directly from the publishers at the same price post free.

Staff at my WH Smiths (a Hospital branch) dont "know" anything about it either. But each of the last two years, its always just scanned through the tills, and the money deducted then. No different to a "buy one get one free" offer. Since the till system is national for all these chains, I would assume simply scanning the two items through the till at your branch of WHS will produce the same effect. 

A rubbish day for LNER enthusiasts. Time to let the card recharge.

I agree.- But next year is the 75th Anniverrsary of the introduction of the "Silver Jubilee".  Hornby have the locosalready  - let's have the rolling stock in 2020,  My Card should be full by then.

Hopefully as well as attracting new people to the hobby all these lower priced, older tooling models are part of Hornbys bigger long term plan to raise some cash to support the development of new models. They had lost their way a little bit but they seem to be going in the right direction which is great because they are the most recognised name in the industry, nobody wants to see them disappear.

Richard

That is the experiment. Will all these older toolings attract or retain new/mid range modelers and raise a useful cash flow for Hornby and model shops? 

If it works, youpi, Hornby has resolved 2 issues in one. If it fails, the market will be full of old tooling models that no one wants which ties up someones cash and might even need to be sold for a loss.

Of course sales performance can range from an out right flop, breaks even, does ok or becomes a big success.

They are definately trying - lets hope it rewards.

Going OT from the Hornby thread.

The KFA that Hornby have done and the KFA log carrier bear little or no resemblance other than the code KFA

And how exactly will that happen???  :O  :scratchhead:

Apologies I'm not a rivet counter or an expert on these wagons thus I thought they were similar or those KFA Intermodals were converted to KFA log carriers which I swear someone had mentioned ages ago in a different thread hence thinking they could be done.

Someone else also corrected me stating the log carriers were derived from Cargowagons but again not sure if this is correct.

Anyway maybe Hornby would have got away with it anyway  :jester:

• RMweb Gold

In respect of the budget (diesel) releases announced, I think we need to remember that those of us keen enough to critique items on here are, by definition, a self-selecting cohort at the "enthusiast" end of the spectrum. 

Hornby cater for two markets, and I have, at times, been as guilty as anyone in criticising them for a lack of focus on "my" end of the hobby.

OK, they have, in the fairly recent past, produced items that blur the line between their two target segments but this set of announcements does seem to offer some clear definition.

Hornby have judged that there is a "silent majority" out there that will be quite content with something that captures the basic flavour of the prototype, doesn't have tiny bits to knock off, and comes in at around half the price of the available alternatives. TBF, why else would they have bought up Lima in the first place?

Let's hope, for the sake of their continuing ability to also produce the sort of models we want, that their strategy is proved correct.    

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

And back in the day, if someone bought a model loco that had the 'wrong' lights and a door missing, they corrected them themselves and wrote an article for Railway Modeller to tell everyone else how they did it!

• Like 1

I think you need to watch out here . The trainset HST is based on the former Lima loco . While the power cars you refer to are the full fat Hornby models . I’d rather have had the new liveries eg ScotRail on the Lima model and a reduced price , but I accept in terms of cash generation, which is important to Hornby , that selling the full fat version in these colours initially makes more sense . I will splash the cash on a new ScotRail one .

No, I was thinking of the blue/grey power cars for £120 in the Railroad range.

What also seems slightly odd is that there don't seem t be any centre caqrriages coming (except for one coach in the GWR set). I know arguably if they were released at the same time, people on a budget may not be able to afford to buy he lot in one go, but an announcement to say "Centre carriages to follow three months later" would encourage people to buy the power cars then save up for the coaches when they come out.

• Like 1

For me it has to be the Brush type 2 Class 31, but I shall have to see if it is up to the standared for the money.

Terry.

What is curious is that this appears to be priced as a Railroad product, which the previous release (R3592TTS) based on the Lima model was, but now appears to be listed in the main range. That Railroad model was fitted with TTS sound for a very similar price. The Lima body is more accurate than the Hornby one and this has been previously discussed in more than one thread.

An In Answer to someone’s question, yes Hornby Magazime are doing a deal with the Catalogue. Next issue and catalogue for £9.99.

https://hornbymagazine.keypublishing.com/2019/01/07/exclusive-Hornby-catalogue-offer/

And for those in the UK that cannot find a copy in the shops it's post free direct if you opt for second class postage  :)

...and they will be over priced and generally not good enough on any count. A spoiler fired in Hattons direction but I guess we know who will win? 

Over-priced?? They seem cheap from their RRP, I can only imagine how cheap they'll be after the usual discounts shops apply and when/if they reach the bargain bins you'll have them at a good price. These are updated Class 66s with 5-pole motorized bogies, DCC sockets and NEM couplings. Excellent value for money. an have two for the price of a single Hatton's one (no offence intended), this should make many youngsters and people on a budget happy!

Apologies I'm not a rivet counter or an expert on these wagons thus I thought they were similar or those KFA Intermodals were converted to KFA log carriers which I swear someone had mentioned ages ago in a different thread hence thinking they could be done.

Someone else also corrected me stating the log carriers were derived from Cargowagons but again not sure if this is correct.

Anyway maybe Hornby would have got away with it anyway  :jester:

It's better you ask Heljan to do one, the KFA logging wagon is as mentioned before based on a Cargowaggon and they can use existing CAD to tool it up.

And back in the day, if someone bought a model loco that had the 'wrong' lights and a door missing, they corrected them themselves and wrote an article for Railway Modeller to tell everyone else how they did it!

That's what I plan on doing! I've already designed the kits...will test them out on these before I sell them.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

What is curious is that this appears to be priced as a Railroad product, which the previous release (R3592TTS) based on the Lima model was, but now appears to be listed in the main range. That Railroad model was fitted with TTS sound for a very similar price. The Lima body is more accurate than the Hornby one and this has been previously discussed in more than one thread.

The 31 is £169, i hope its not railroad for that price!

Nothing in the promo materials say itis railroad.

Are you talking about these??

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2019/br-class-31-a1a-a1a-31102-era-7.html  

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2019/br-class-31.html

They have an RRP of £169.50

They are full spec models and totally different from the Hornby RailRoad one

Edited by MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Gold

Only when I looked closer did I realise the Northern Belle train pack was actually 57601 as 'Windsor Castle' but the radiator grilles gave it away as their ex-Lima 47...bit naughty but I guess no worse than printed grilles on NR yellow coaches (plus Rule 1, if the joker card is required!!!).

Slightly concerned by this, if the 57 in this pack is indeed ex-Lima tooling then will it be less detailed and have no lights, much like their upcoming 66s? I really like the look of the the coaches and the coach pack to accompany it, but not sure if I really want to spend so much on a loco that that isn't very detailed.

Edited by Richy59

It's better you ask Heljan to do one, the KFA logging wagon is as mentioned before based on a Cargowaggon and they can use existing CAD to tool it up.

Thanks MGR, I incorrectly had it in my head they were based on the KFA Intermodals thus thanks for the information and what they are actually based on and yes Heljan would be a safe bet or perhaps Revolution?

Cheers

Steve

Edited by classy52

Slightly concerned by this, if the 47 in this pack is indeed ex-Lima tooling then will it be less detailed and have no lights, much like their upcoming 66s? I really like the look of the the coaches and the coach pack to accompany it, but not sure if I really want to spend so much on a 47 that that isn't very detailed.

I had mentioned previously this pack is more expensive than the Belmond Pullman Pack which all the items are super detailed including the Class 67 loco, just a bit strange how the Northern Belle pack is more expensive but it could be down to excessive license costs?