Hornby 2019 announcements

Andy Y

Just seen this, lots of time to save up for a renumbered LNER Toad Brake Van and nothing else for the LNER modeller .other than a Thompson O1 with NE lettering on the Tender.

All the other LNER type items are either preservation, BR or a stationary Scotsman from Wembley 1923 which never moved a inch = WOW !!! 

edit

FS never had a 8 wheel tender at Wembley ,it was too long with one to fit into the Hall. It was paired with a K3 Stepped out Copings Group standard 6 wheel Tender . Info from RCTS LNER Pt 2a which has a photo of FS in that pairing at the Wembley exhibition.

Whoops Hornby.

Edited by micklner

Nothing for me, but an interesting selection nevertheless.  The success of the Peckett has clearly been acted upon, I know someone who will be very happy about the bigger version being announced.  The sliding door Mk3s will undoubtedly be popular too,

Most noticeable for me is not any particular item, but the aggressive approach, producing direct competition for so many items already available/announced by other manufacturers.  As others have pointed out, not everyone can afford the prices to which some items have risen.

Biggest disappointment is the complete lack of a 1st generation DMU.  A revamped 110 was a possibility, but not even that..

I guess we'll have to keep our fingers crossed that the Danes shrink their future offering....

• RMweb Premium

It looks like Hornby made even more strides into the industrial railway scene. Nowadays more people only have shelf space for layouts or dioramas.

Also pleased that they've tooled up new matching sets of GWR, Bulleid and sliding door Mk3 carriages aiming to supply complete train formations with their own locos.

I'm also impressed by their range of class 66s and 92s with up-to-date liveries at affordable prices. If only they made the class 156 available in more than one current livery!

They missed a trick on releasing the LNER Hitachi in a train set version although they partly made up for it in releasing a train set version of GWR's HST.

• Like 2

An interesting set of announcements but nonetheless slightly disappointing, IMO. The Peckett 0-6-0ST is a solid choice and I reckon the Ruston, which after discounts should come in at about £60, will be a surprise hit. I'm rather tempted to place a pre-order! The Princess was an obvious candidate for a retool as well.

However, the Large Prairie, the Mk2Fs, the Bulleids and the Terrier strike me as curious choices. The last thing the hobby needs right now is head-to-head competition on popular subjects as one manufacturer is guaranteed to lose out. With the Adams Radial it was Oxford; with the King it was Hornby who drew the short straw. Dapol have only just entered the RTR steam market; and I'm a bit worried they'll pull out altogether now two of their projects have been duplicated. Admittedly Hornby might have had a headstart on the Prairie but I think better communication is needed going in to 2020. It would be terribly embarrassing if Dapol managed to improve their CAD and Hornby examples sit on shelves. The GWR locomotive this year should have been a Saint.

Hornby should also stay clear of big locomotive retoolings for a while. The Rebuilt MN is a case in point; reliveries of the old one are still available brand new at the £140 mark, and it's a great model that they probably wouldn't be able to improve upon significantly. In case I get accused of regional bias, I think the same about the A4 and A3, providing they fix the ski jump on the latter. As for diesels, I reckon the Class 37 and 47 would make good projects for Hattons one day, but I can't see demand being high enough right now.

Personally I'd like to see a retool and duplication free year in 2020. More genuinely brave choices like the 48DS and J36, please!

The striking feature of this announcement is it's commercial aggression. Not one but four cases where Hornby have gone after a rival company with an alternative available sooner at a lower price.

This is a radical shift, because for a long time Hornby have been regarded as sitting ducks, and there has been an assumption that their product range can be picked off by competitors at will , for the advantage of the competitor .  Posters on here regularly incite other manufacturers to target and knock out existing Hornby models, and Hornby's range has been seen for years as a pile of tasty carrion for the vultures to feed off. Hornby are urged to "do the decent thing" and withdraw their own projects in favour of their competitors. Every time a coconut it's Hornby who are urged to cede the contested ground

Lynton Davies is sending a very clear message to the rest of the trade - we won't roll over for you , we'll fight you and win

It was Dapol who decided to duplicate two existing Hornby models . Hornby clearly had new generation models already under development and have decided to stand and fight, all out, rather than concede the ground to a rival. Given the Dapol CADs, Hornby's record with GW steam, and Hornby's early launch to market I would expect Hornby to scoop most of the market here, and both Dapol projects must now be in doubt

Frankly at this point we need Hornby's survival more than we need a modest range of OO steam from Dapol, and Hornby have as much right to compete with Dapol as Dapol or Bachmann have with Hornby...….

With the underframe CAD in the bag already the short Bulleids  are a cheap option for Hornby, a good one - and some were asking for them when Bachmann announced the 64' version. They will increase the total market - but some of the money spent on them would otherwise have gone on the Bachmann products.

The 0-6-0T Pecketts are startlingly advanced

I am thankful that LNER have not attempted vinyl faux-teak on the Class 800 IEPs as Hornby's recent renditions of teak have been questionable (I look forward to Fictitious Liveries doing the 800s in garter blue/white and sliver grey... I suspect they might work)

I finally succumbed to a bargain Peckett on Saturday, so I suspect I will ultimately surrender and buy a Ruston for the boxfile….

• Like 3

I think Hornby utilising their KFA wagon tooling to add KFA Log Carriers would have been a great addition to 2019 thus a shame it wasn't done.

Although they have the same TOPS code they are completely different vehicles. The Hornby KFA container wagon bears no resemblance to any of the KFA log carriers which are based on either ex Rover cubes, or vehicles that resemble cargowaggons.

So if Hornby did that there would be uproar.

A RTR bogie log carrier would be on my shopping list. New Bryford of this parish has converted some cargowaggon flats which look the business

• RMweb Gold

Hornby have ticked a lot of boxes with this announcement, and are showing a new confidence and aggression. and that they are not afraid to go head to head to preserve what they probably see as 'their' portion of the marked. My particular interest is in the large prairie (I know I said I was no longer in the market for one but I am rethinking this) and the Collett b/e suburbans, which have caught me napping from left field; I was not expecting either.  I am delighted about both, especially the coaches!  I would be a bit miffed today if I was Dapol! 

Well done Hornby, and thank you to Andy for managing this topic so very well!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The Bulleid coaches are basically the same type but different lengths, yes? So now we've got two types of Bulleid coaches which probably won't match with each other, so most people will have a rake of one or the other, and either company could lose out. And neither has done the tavern car which got all over the place.

Me thinks there are a few open goals for Bachmann next week, for modellers of a North Eastern, Scottish and South Eastern persuasion...

Sorry Nathan, proper BRSR modellers will have them all thanks as coaches were not uniform colour, especially in sets, except when straight from works. (as Dudders mentioned too).

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Glade their doing the Restaurant car again, missed out first time round.

This version had loose seating from after the war (about 1951?) and was an Exeter run coach.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

With Hornbys 2019 announcements at least we can be more or less sure that the goods will turn up within say 15 months and you can plan your additions as opposed to announcing a new model and not seeing it arrive for five years as is usually the case with their main competitor.

Full marks to Hornby for that commitment.

An interesting selection and quite expensive year or two ahead for me it would seem. Refreshing really as it's been quite some time since anything in a red box caught my interest.

• Scotrail HST + Mk3s - don't really need one but love it so very tempting. The new coaches are a great addition.
  • Belmond British Pullman 67 - very tempting, especially if the coaches in the train pack are high spec at that price.
  • 47798 Prince William - interesting since these were not long done by Bachmann. I managed to get 47799 on the Rails special offer but missed out on 47798. If the quality of finish is good enough I'll likely have a 798 and detail it up.
  • Network Rail Mk2fs - I'm sure these will be a slight compromise but they should hopefully sit well enough alongside the Bachmann/Model Rail limited editions from a few years ago.
  • Scotrail Mk2fs - I impulse-bought the Dapol 68 so I suppose these are a must.
  • Red Star CCT with graffiti - think I'll park that in a siding somewhere on the RMT layout
  • RAF Class 156 - a must-have for me. The model holds its own against the Realtrack 156 in my opinion - whilst the Realtrack one is obviously superior the Hornby/Lima model isn't bad, especially with an upgraded underframe.
  • Caledonian Sleeper Class 87 - very tempting, especially since it looks to be the new-spec model
  • Caledonian Sleeper Class 92 - not sure on this one either but it's a possibility depending on what happens with the DJM one

Interested to see what the Bachmann catalogue promises - hoping for another TPO vehicle although in some ways I'd be satisfied if they'd simply get their announcements from previous years released.

• Like 1

With Hornbys 2019 announcements at least we can be more or less sure that the goods will turn up within say 15 months and you can plan your additions as opposed to announcing a new model and not seeing it arrive for five years as is usually the case with their main competitor.

Full marks to Hornby for that commitment.

One can only hope that certain manufacturers who turn out stuff in blue boxes take notice!

Pull :hunter: ...take that blue boxes!!!

• Like 1

The appearance of a railroad HST is interesting. It looks ex Lima. I've always preferred the shape of the Lima HST over the Hornby offering even though Hornby win for the chassis detail. If the railroad is the ex Lima id be hoping the presumably improved motors would be available as spars to fit in my Lima power cars.

The paint job on the railroad HST does look a bit suspect through, hopefully they'll sort that out.

A good year for the steam era modeller, another ok one for the modern era modeller.

Very happy that a DB Red Class 60 now features at long last, but a shame it's only availible sound fitted and is named. Also, a bit of an 'ouch' moment as it's £185, so much for the 3 I wanted! Think I'll just have the one for the moment.

But the for the modern modeller, the only two new tooled items are the MK2f's and sliding door MK3's. There's the same amount of new tooled coaches, as well as locos and wagons for the steam lot. To me, it shows that Hornby is the steam modellers friend still. And on the subject of coaches, why no MK2f RFB? I also find it a bit odd that the new tooled MK3 is the same price as the 20 year old 'standard' MK3, either the new tooling is a good price or the old tooling is over priced.

And surely at least one newly tooled wagon could have been done, too? Plenty of air braked engineers wagons still not done, along with the EWS specific FAA and FCA container flats. There's the previously mentioned bogie log carriers, as well as covered bogie steel carriers, aggreagtes hoppers and many other wagons not done.

Can the 4-VEP have another run out next time instead of the 2-BIL and 2-HAL? It's hard to find and can command some silly prices second hand at the moment. Liveries can be NSE again, Connex, SWT plus some of the 'one off' colours carried before withdrawal.

I wouldn't say it's all bad, there is some good re-liveries of existing models announced, the Pullman Class 67 a good choice as is the Sleeper Class 87. The new MK3's I also think are a great idea, if not for me and area I model, and certainly hope they do well. The 2 Network Rail MK2f's are a good shout too, and definatley something I'll be picking up even if they're not quite 100% accurate. Very happy to see the TTS decoder range expanding, and still for a very favourable price. It's a yes please for the Class 08, Class 50 and Valenta chips, but they quality of speakers used needs looking at. Most of mine have been changed, and it makes a real difference to the sound quality and clarity.

Still, at least the Red box is still with us and hope they do well this year and can keep on going!

Andy.

Edited by SWT442

• RMweb Gold

After getting to page 6, I’d had enough of the indifferent comments!

As a self confessed rivet counter, I’m bowled over by this announcement and it shows that Hornby have done themselves proud with a massive dose of common sense.

With prices going up faster than a NASA space rocket, we seriously need some entry level models to get more people in to the hobby, and likewise, keep the existing people in it too! The 66s and the MK2f coaches are a stroke of genius - given the choice of £55, or £35 for a coach, I know where my money will be going. The 66s are brilliant for the money too, and give people many options. HSTs in both super detail and Railroad versions get a massive thumbs up for me, along with the MK3s, which despite their inaccuracies, make for some good coaches, especially with the NEM pockets. The Alan Peglar Scotsman actually brought a tear to my eye, call me sad, but this is a fitting tribute to the man that saved the original loco from the scrap heap - yes, it was nearly it’s downfall but we wouldn’t be able to see it today, even if it is a bit like Trigger’s Broom!

I could go on, and on, but for once, (well twice, if I include Islesy listening to me for the first GWR HST) I’m really happy that the Red Box Company I grew up with as a kid have made big, big steps to rebuilding it’s status as one of the World’s leading model railway suppliers. Well done.

Mike

Edited by scoobyra
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I've gone through their announcements and the only models I'm considering buying are:

R3702 Peckett W4 in maroon named Daphne (one of my relatives shared her name),

Brake van in LMS grey livery (replacing my ex-Airfix version)

Edited by gc4946

I know that you can't please everyone with a product announcement, but I certainly haven't been so happy about a catalogue announcement before, despite the frustration RE my deposit for a Rails terrier (so of course, I hope the Rails model turns out to be the best one!). The word that keeps coming to mind about a lot of this announcement is quite simply 'fun'! The industrials look brilliant, there's some curveballs we didn't expect and lots of interesting liveries throughout the eras.  I note that whilst there are a few 'nothing for me' posts - this year they seem to generally be accompanied by positive comments and there also seems to be far fewer of them.

I'm not going to list the things that I will be buying/want to buy etc, because I can't imagine anybody cares - but my bank balance is very pleased that my train cupboard is nearly full!

It also seems that they really do have their house in order when it comes to getting the products to market too. Surprisingly imminent release dates. I would expect some of these to slip as they usually do, but the optimism is super.

Adding to the fun, it seems we will finally getting a 'proper' Hogwarts Castle. Not for everyone I know, and indeed I even sold my Hogwarts Castle (castle class) when I was old enough to understand it was 'wrong', but in this condition it would be a rather tempting 'era 11' interloper like the new black 5 and Bittern. Looking at the price (particularly of the coaches), I would hope that it is close to a 'full fat' Hall and accompanying Mk1s, but worry we may be being charged for the licensing.

• Like 2

If you would like a little more background to some of the content in the 2019 announcements I interviewed Simon Kohler for a piece in BRM Express - Phil's free newsletter which comes out on Friday. Sign up here https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/account/create?seoChannel=brm&returnUrl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.world-of-railways.co.uk to make sure you get this week's edition.

And if you can't wait that long, Simon is speaking at The Model Railway Club this Thursday evening - Keen House, 4 Calshot Street, London N1 9DA.

http://www.themodelrailwayclub.org/events/2018-lectures for more details.

• Like 1

I too think what they've done with the modern image stuff is rather clever. The livery choices are spot on- two 'average' locos and quite a few 'celebrity' locos, clearly aimed at a different market from the Hattons one. They should probably do that with the A1 model they have- do a couple of names and liveries for those who can't afford the Bachmann one. They can use the P2 tender tooling to represent the production A1 tenders. For £60 or so I doubt many budget-conscious buyers would decline.

Does the Caledonian Sleeper stock mean Mk5s next year, I wonder?

• Like 1

An In Answer to someone’s question, yes Hornby Magazime are doing a deal with the Catalogue. Next issue and catalogue for £9.99.

https://hornbymagazine.keypublishing.com/2019/01/07/exclusive-Hornby-catalogue-offer/

Thank you. For the last two years they have not known anything about the offer at W. H. Smith at Swanage but I will try them again on 9th January. If they have not got a catalogue with the Hornby Magazine I will order one from shop.keypublishing.com. Smiths do give me a free copy of the Sun when I buy a magazine but the catalogue will be much more interesting.

• Like 1

IMO I think the Class 37 & 47 are now due for a re-tool and has been widely discussed on other threads but as I've said before someone else will just come along and do it.

It would have been really good if Hornby announced at least 1 major modern image locomotive re-tool instead of none, just feel it's a missed opportunity.

Well said. The stir that hattons updated 66 is causing and has caused and will undoubtedly cause is staggering, even if the bachman one is acceptable hattons looks like taking the hobby to another level. The 37 is due similar treatment and this was Hornbys chance to blaze the trail.. Looks like someone else will do it and I certainly have money to spend.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I disagree.

Old tooling for 47 & 66 does not bring them into direct competition with Hattons & Bachmann. They are lower priced so should appeal to a different market. Not everyone want to pay a fortune for a highly detailed model, so they still have a choice.

Bachmann already do nicely detailed 37s & 47s. Why would Hornby re-tool to compete with these when they can work on something different?

Horses for courses.

For those introducing younger members of their family to the hobby, there's a lot to be said for models which don't cost a fortune and aren't so easily damaged by being prodded and picked up.