The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Night all.

I have had a quiet day. Started off with giving a neighbours cat breakfast. Rosie the cat was not going out. Opening the door only resulted in her returning to her bed once she saw the rain.

Other neighbours invited me to lunch.

I have been installing some plastic conduit for my Ethernet cable from one side of the house to the other. It looks quite neat and Aditi has never objected to the similar stuff for loudspeaker cables.

Tony

A few years ago, when we had major works done to the house, which included electrical rewiring, I asked the builders to embed Cat5 wiring between various points throughout the house. I fitted the various sockets myself and, touch wood, the whole thing is still working.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

I've now run out of Hrnblower books that I brought with me. He's handed over the Atropos and I will await his next adventure when I get back Home. Now I'm enjoying Vol 1 of Maury Klein's Union Pacific and have finally sorted out in my head the part played by 'Doc' Durant.

Jamie

I'm just past the court martial and he is the post chaise on his way to London.

And a nice picture of a former V100 (the yellow one labelled V211. The first one of those I ever saw was at a branch terminus in Bavaria in 1965, it was apparently a bit poorly but can't have been anything too serious as the Driver got down and opened the tool cabinet underneath the cab and selected what he had decided was the correct spanner and duly went off and tightened something before carrying on shunting the freight trip; that loco had a better built-in toolkit than some BR fitters I came across in later years,

• Like 17

Good morning one and all

I had a good weekend at Scaleforum, all things considered.  On Friday night there was a social gathering in a pub.  I had come across most of those present before and met one chap for the first time.  One group of three sat by themselves and another, larger, group sat at a separate table before leaving en masse.  As an exercise in getting to know one another it was not an outstanding success but I am glad I went.  My attempt at rounding up a collection of misfits on Saturday night in a different pub was a qualified success and at times was quite entertaining.  One of those present turned out to be a fellow Meek freak, ie an aficionado of the late great Joe Meek and his music.  During the two days of the show, on the other hand, I spent much time in discussion with others and had some useful and helpful conversations on m*d*ll*ng and certain other matters.  At one point my forgettery let me down badly.  I just could not bring to mind the name of the gentleman who spoke to me about what happened in August and he was very good about it when I found myself having to ask him.  Oh, the shame.

It’s going to be a busy week.  On Wednesday I’m at a matinee performance of War Horse in Milton Keynes.  It has set me back £40 so had better be good.  Will the HMRS meeting later that evening be as exciting?  On Thursday I am with Poorly Pal, followed by Peter Groom at the Stevenage Locomotive Society.  Saturday sees two concerts at The Stables – Demon Barbers at 1.30, Jimmy Goldsmith and Sid Aldridge [or is it Jimmy Aldridge and Sid Goldsmith?] at 8.45.  What will I do in the time between the gigs?  Fear not, I will think of something

Warm thoughts to all in distress and those who are missing.

Chris

Edited by chrisf
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

It’s another beautiful sunny day here in the northwest, but chilly, 2C according to my weather app! So, once Sheila has left for her Zumba class, I’m off outside to carry on working on the patio, hopefully I’ll get the last bits lifted and can start an clearing and levelling the area ready for the new patio. Tonight will be my last open water swimming session, I hope the water warms up a bit!

Back later

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Here,

A poor nights sleep 1.5 hour in bed then brain wouldn't shut up till I had seen the rotating news every 1/2 hour for a couple of hours. total sleep about 4 hours...

What was brain on about? Well partly yestedays reunion meeting and partly the trailer modifications, I'm sitting with the sketch pad out. I've an Idea on what I would like, but I now need to visit various bracket manufacturers online to see what the brackets and steel work would weigh...

I have the joy of 2 major systems to do this week, which is a bit of a squeeze timing wise..

-99.99926mV that's a good reading.. 27% of spec..

Time to do the next one...

• Like 15

I was trying to think where the Grasse line branched off; it was 2008 I was last down that way at le Cannet.

Hopefully, they'll start flodding the dock tomorrow with a view to opening the gates before sunset!

Sluice gates are starting to open!

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Saturday night my internet started getting slower and slower, hence my not getting to bed until 2 AM. Sunday morning it was up to speed again but again it started slowing down in the evening until just before ten it went down altogether so I switched off my computer and went to do something else. When I checked half an hour later the internet was up and running and at normal speeds. I was not to bothered by this but I realised that as the TV works from the same hub that would have gone down as well, during the finale of 'Bodyguard'. I should imagine that the telephones at Virgin Media will be red hot this morning. Not a lot else to report, muggatee awaits, be back later.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Good morning from a damp Brussels.

Time for green beer in Little Delirium Cafe in Brussels with Andrew C and our other halves.

it's called Cactus and hard to get. It's only available on draft.

Looks like something you'd expect to be served up in the bar in Star Wars.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

I was awake early this morning. Mainly woken up by ear and face ache. A few hours return to sleep seems to have cured it.

Off to B&Q soon for more decorative conduit.

The delivery I am expecting from John Lewis will arrive between 7 and 9 tonight so I don’t have to sit around all afternoon waiting.

Happy birthday to John.

Tony

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

And a very special good morning with lots of hugs for Debs - skillfully making an appearance in order to remind the rest of us regarding John's (CB) birthday.  Hope we see more of you soon Debs,  Oh and a happy birthday to John of course.

Interregnum as i'm called to collect my 3rd cuppatea of the morning.  And then finding that a major tomato marshalling exercise is underway on the kitchen table sorting the ripe and the ripening prior to the manufacture of more tomato sauce;  maybe we should add some slices of tomato to the lunchtime pizza?  Big question is whether or not to do some bricklaying - the question being whether i can face knocking up the mortar by hand as it's too much bother getting the mixer out and spending more time cleaning it than using it.  i don't mind hand mixing concrete but building sand is not fun when it comes to hand mixing.  Time will tell.

Have a good day one and all.

• Like 13

Time for green beer in Little Delirium Cafe in Brussels with Andrew C and our other halves.

it's called Cactus and hard to get.

Personally, I would say that is a good thing!

• RMweb Premium

Happy Birthday John!

Great to see you back here in ERs Debs...which means

stay calm and don't mention muddle pailways!.....

Hedges trimmed, lawns mowed and edged....

two pieces of brass welded to some white metal have been primed.. see my bodging thread for more details...I fear the awl!!

Roundhouse.. I hope it tastes much better than it looks!!

Baz

• Like 17