St. Davids , turntable update.

two tone green

I did have a steady stream but having broken down the OO layout down, nowt to show now.

As for the high tech, yes, always has been. RR&Co has been part of my model railway for a good few years now and the idea of video feed from a loco or train to the screens is on the list. Can people read my mind that easily !

Forgive me for hijacking this thread, but I have some piccies of Porthgain,

and the cottages you mention. I know them well, and have often dreamed of a 7mm NG layout,

based in the area - I think it would look fab!

Bought a book on Porthgain and Abereiddi by local man Peter Davies some years ago in the bookshop by St Davids cathedral. Very interesting, and some great photos.

Pulled out all my old 009 stuff a few days ago, and wondered if it would be possible to make some sort of small layout inspired by Porthgain. Got a vac-formed Clyde Puffer in a box which doesn't look too dissimilar to some of the boats that used to transport stuff from Porthgain.

Could be an interesting project anyway...

:-)

Hi Mike,

Have you finished the railway room now so you can start building the layout.

Yes, Porthgain would be a good layout to do but capturing the openness, rugged area would be a challenge. Summer or winter weather with the waves breaking up over the cliffs, max chat storm force 10. Normal summer day :lol:

Have you finished the railway room now so you can start building the layout.

Yes, Porthgain would be a good layout to do but capturing the openness, rugged area would be a challenge. Summer or winter weather with the waves breaking up over the cliffs, max chat storm force 10. Normal summer day :lol:

Room has been finished for years! Ha ha. All the kitchen units are in place to support a layout of 10 x 7 feet (Have not put worktops on them, so access to wiring etc can be got from below). Just need now to go through the 20 assorted boxes of railway stuff which are on top of these units and get them cleared away and I can do something, but have been saying that for 18 months now!

Think any layout I would do would be inspired by Porthgain, rather than an accurate model. Like to see it built within my lifetime you see!

Don't think I have been to Porthgain when it has been calm totally!

Hi TTG

I was only thinking the other day it was some time since I last saw you, and I think that was at the Taunton show in 2009!

I saw your boy some months ago when I dropped my one off at YDS (he missed the bus again!), and that semi prompted me to get in touch, but by the time I got home I had forgot!

Re Porthgain locals, hmmm, well it is desolate up there...

Nothing much to play with at the moment. Got the TV and third monitor mounted on the wall and working today as well as the last section of baton to support the new boards.

Time to move draws, cupboards etc around and have a clear up before setting to and build the boards. Problem is now, next weekend and quite a few of the following weekends are already booked up for various things so it may be a while before any track gets laid.

But I've got the Easy Build 108 to go at and next weekend is the Bristol O Gauge show which I will be at. Are you going?

TTG.

Room has been finished for years! Ha ha.....

Think any layout I would do would be inspired by Porthgain, rather than an accurate model. Like to see it built within my lifetime you see!....

Hi Mikey and TTG,

I'd realy like to see a Porthgain-inspired layout.

I've often dreamt of a 7mm narrow gauge layout,

with a painted / photo backdrop of the harbour,

and that lovely row of terraced cottages acting as disguise

to fiddle yard entrance....

A model of the pub is a must, he says, wishing he was there now.....

...whatever the weather :lol:

Mikey, when are you going to get the layout built?

go for it.....go for it!

Cheers

Marc :D

• 1 month later...

Having taken a break from my Cl 108 building I had chance to build the boards this weekend and test fit the track. And it is better than expected.

I'll update the track plan shortly.

Sorry there are no photos but I'll do some next weekend after I get the track sorted out a little better.

Here is the new track plan. I have test positioned the trains I want to run to check the lengths etc on the track so I know it all works. It also means I can have more platform area marked new platform area with it extending all the way down towards the right hand point & double slip.

It should give me plenty of operational flexibility for both passenger and freight.

post-6682-0-53456000-1298222822_thumb.gif

Here are a few pictures of the track put down temporarily to see how it fits on the boards and to tweak the track plan. Curves, track spacing are not correct but the limits of track work are ok so I know all the major elements will fit on the boards.

Some of the sidings will be longer than they are as my ECoS controller is in the way. Had to power up some of the track to play. :lol:

I'm pleased with the track plan and now its time to strip it down and paint the boards.

post-6682-0-58212300-1298737502_thumb.jpg

post-6682-0-35966400-1298737516_thumb.jpg

post-6682-0-80880000-1298737532_thumb.jpg

post-6682-0-02852400-1298737544_thumb.jpg

post-6682-0-24094400-1298737578_thumb.jpg

post-6682-0-56973700-1298737589_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Sorry, no. Sort of got diverted and ended up enjoying myself building the Easybuild 108 and not too much on the layout. I need to finish the boards by adding the back scene supports then painting the boards, draw the track plan onto the boards then fix the point and track work.

I have finalised the track plan and got all the track as well as DCC Cobalt point motors so little else to buy to do everything. Also just about got it clear in my mind for the fiddle yard which will live under the main boards as a turn table, traveser set up similar to that being built by another member on here.

Being away during the week does not help and with it now being spring summer time, thoughts and activities turn to more outdoor beach life down here far west.

But if anything happens it will be duly photographed and posted on here.

• 6 months later...

The track, Peco, is almost done. Here are a few pictures to show some progress since my last posting about my change over from OO to O and a new version of St. Davids.

The buffer stop end is as good as done with only a few tweaks of sleepers etc to do but the end nearest the camera is still work in progress due to me not quite knowing the dimensions of the builds that will go between the track so its not fully fixed down yet or at its total length.

The curved point in the foreground leads to two curved sidings that will accept the longest train that runs on the layout. The sidings in the foreground are the goods shunting yard and will have a goods shed and off one road will be the loco servicing point where the 47 is sat.

For me the track plan offers a great deal of movements and should be fun to operate. it is already fully set up with block occupancy and track circuiting for use with RR&Co and fully tested so the wiring can now be moved from the development phase, thrown in and a mess, to the operational stage, tidy mess, and ty-wrapped in place.

Control as you can see is ECoS / ECoS Radio Control and three screen RR&Co Gold V7 displays, SmartHand and SmartHand Mobile.

Point control is Cobalt motors, ESU Switchpilots with Railcom feed back. Block Occupancy and track circuiting is by ESU ECoS Detectors with Railcom.

All Loco decoders are ESU Loksound and either 3.5XL or V4's.

Motor tuning / load control is very easy with the V4 as its automatic and no need for tweaking CV's and guessing now. With the new auto tune function in the V4 it sets all the parameters for the motor and not just one, CV52, which some people do and never reach the optimum settings. Its good and works a treat. Solved my problem with my easy build DMU and made a difference with my Bachmann 08 which was a good runner anyway and even better now.

Its not in the manual yet but just set CV54 to 0 and then hit the F1 key and having made sure you have about 1.5 metres of track spare in front of the loco for it to jump forward to test the motor and set the parameters.

So any one can do it now. Try it, it does make a difference to the running.

Next phase is build platforms and I'm using sides and platform covering from Crossing Gates Models which I saw at Telford and was impressed with its quality and ease of building. And having a curved edge to one face of a platform, the edging is semi flexible and will fit the curves I have.

Once they are built is ballasting and weathering. Wanted the platforms in place so I can ballast up to the platform edge so it looks a bit more realistic. Once its set I can lift off the platforms and paint the track work and weather it.

Andy Y's new O gauge wagon will look good on the layout me thinks and looking forward to it and more releases from Dapol on the O gauge front.

Will keep things up to date as it happens. Reading Show next at the beginning of December and more goodies I expect.

post-6682-0-87342500-1321717912.jpg

post-6682-0-69343000-1321717927.jpg

post-6682-0-73555300-1321717942.jpg

I've been tuning my Cobalt point motors by using a resistor in line with the power feed. They range from 280 ohms to 540 ohms to speed match them.

Whilst the Cobalt motors are well made they do vary in performance and noise. Some clicked as they reached the end of their travel which was quite annoying and others ran slower but not too slow to be a problem.

So with the resistors I have tuned them all, 11 in total, and are all now much quieter, do not click and are just about speed matched as well. Using RR&Co to operate them via ESU Switch pilot and extensions they perform very well with up to 6 operating at once on the most complex route. Very happy.

Now what. Yes, sort out spaghetti that is actually wiring!

• 6 months later...

Its been a while since I posted and while since I manged any real time to play but I have managed an hour or so every now and then over the past few weeks and have started on the platforms so I can think about sorting out the overbridge station that will sit at the far end of the layout over the buffer stops.

Work has been on a what takes my fancy at the time so I have been jumping between parts of the layout but at least the station tarckwork is 'fixed' as such and wont change and the sidings are just about done but I will slwe one to follow the curve of the other two curved sidings.

So here are a few photos showing some progress.

TTG

post-6682-0-39685600-1337533518_thumb.jpg

post-6682-0-63509400-1337533594_thumb.jpg

post-6682-0-22681600-1337533665_thumb.jpg

post-6682-0-92099400-1337533748_thumb.jpg

Interesting topic: if you spent as much on the railway as you do on locos, you'd now have a decent model.......LOL But who can resist locos? I can, but only because I have no funds to purchase any.

Anyway, whose is the Peak? JLTRT? You self-build?

Archived