Bradfield, Gloucester Square BR 1962 ish

TheLaird

Guess who's got a new camera that does videos as well? It was Colin's reply that made me think of those members who will never get to see my train set at exhibitions because of distance, so I signed up on YouTube and had a go at posting the above clip. Now that I know it works, look out for more.... "Bradfield" the movie!! Yet another distraction from model making (for me that is).

John E

Having finally mastered the intricacies of editing and uploading etc, I now present my first effort at displaying the operations at Bradfield in video format. Some of you will recognise the sequence from earlier postings, so here it is, the first train of the day, the Nottingham Parcels.

http://youtu.be/_sZ6ldm5Osg

If this is the sort of thing that you want to see please let me know and I will continue in the same theme. If not and there is something else more preferable, again let me know and I will try to oblige( as long as it is safe and legal to do so of course!!). It may be a while though as a family holiday is imminent!

Regards John E

Just like watching the real thing. More of similar please. I love this layout for its realism scenically and its prototypical train movements. Baby Deltic makes a good point, that if you were on the platform you would study the entire train as it passed. Thanks John.

Guest Tom F

What a great layout. Just lovely to be able to watch the trains go by. Out of interest have you added larger speakers to the locos as the they seem to give a nice strong sound which didn't appear tinny as some DCC sound can. I'd be very interested for my own fleet on Leaman Road.

I look forward to seeing more videos of your layout in action! :)

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

another 'me too' post...but what the hell :D

Loved the vid and would have been quite happy to see the stock pass in all its entirety as mentioned above.

I will probably not get a chance to see the layout exhibited so the videos are the next best thing...:yes:

John great video. An operational point to consider - when the stock is removed by the pilot it would be normal practice (certainly how the bays were worked locally to me) for the train engine to follow the stock up the platform to the starting signal, where it would then sit and wait to be released. This was done so that the signalman can see it at the outer end of the platform and cannot forget that it is sitting at the end of the bay.

Keep up the good work

John

Great layout and great video, very inspirational.

Please let us know the programme that you used for editing ?

I have never been up to Bradford but the general atmosphere reminds me of visits in the 60's to St.Pancras and Kings Cross.

Look forward to seeing more.

Eddie

• RMweb Gold

A small point, John, but I cannot get a full screen view of your videos. Is this a function of my browser? - Safari?

But wonderful stuff!

Ian

If you're using Safari in an IMac running OSX as opposed to the smaller devices it's easy to get to full screen When you start the video click on the words 'You Tube' at bottom right (not on the tool bar but bottom right of the image) and that takes you to it running on You Tube then just click on the 'full screen' button at the extreme right of the tool bar.

Many thanks for the positive responses and for the critique, some points to bear in mind for future "productions". I will continue on the same theme and run through the sequence of events, maybe missing out some of the repetitive moves.

The longing of the shots is poor.

Is this a technical term? haven't come across it before .

As I said, holiday imminent so may not get around to much until July. Some personal responses to follow.

John

Many thanks for the positive responses and for the critique, some points to bear in mind for future "productions". I will continue on the same theme and run through the sequence of events, maybe missing out some of the repetitive moves.

Is this a technical term? haven't come across it before .

As I said, holiday imminent so may not get around to much until July. Some personal responses to follow.

John

I pinched that gem (longing) from John Huntley's narrative on 'Diesels & Electrics On 35mm'

Out of interest have you added larger speakers to the locos as the they seem to give a nice strong sound which didn't appear tinny as some DCC sound can. I'd be very interested for my own fleet on Leaman Road.

The sound systems are SWD ESUv3.5 on all the diesels. Speakers are either 40x20mm or 23mm round, nothing special. I do fit them in enclosures and ensure they are sealed with blue tac.

Hi John,

Excellent stuff, very enjoyable. How did you get the squeel of the wheels on points/curves? Very realistic.

Mark in OZ.

It's built in to the sound chip and is played by F9 on mine. Glad you like it Mark.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, yes, yes! Your fidelity to realistic operation is a key feature of what makes Bradfield outstanding. We can all learn from watching it. I believe a large % of RMwebbers would enjoy this and might see ways of adding realism to their own layout's running sessions.

John great video. An operational point to consider - when the stock is removed by the pilot it would be normal practice (certainly how the bays were worked locally to me) for the train engine to follow the stock up the platform to the starting signal, where it would then sit and wait to be released. This was done so that the signalman can see it at the outer end of the platform and cannot forget that it is sitting at the end of the bay.

Keep up the good work

John

Watch out for future videos, what you describe is normal practice at Bradfield but I ran out of hands with the camera to operate as well!!! Will tackle it with some creative editing. Thanks for your interest.

John E

Archived