Unidentified locations can you help

Blandford1969

Duncan,

Just had a re-visit to your Flickr Site.

A few more locations for you...

http://www.flickr.co...57627166784504/

is the long gone (but replaced by a similar building) stone crusher to the East of Castleton, N Yorks, station. (Esk valley line).

http://www.flickr.co...157627166784504

Probably one of your photographers most historic locations. The track running from front of phot then under the loading gauge is the course of the REAL ;) 1825 S&D route to Etherley/Witton Park colliery. It's West Auckland Goods shed.

It had me scratching my head for a time, but a pal whose Grandfather was the foreman fitter at the nearby Loco shed confirmed it for me.

The gateposts into the yard still exist if you check google street view. The road to the right of the pic is Leazes Lane.

HtH

Porcy

• RMweb Premium

Porcy,

Many thanks for those, I will send you a pm seperatley.

The Railway Mag kindly ran 4 of the unidentified locations which has given a few more as well.

Could this one http://www.flickr.com/photos/29644579@N07/6221840233/in/set-72157627166784504 be West Auckland as well?

Many thanks for all the suggestions and those who responded to those in the Railway Magazine.

Kind regards

Duncan

The Railway Mag kindly ran 4 of the unidentified locations which has given a few more as well.

Could this one http://www.flickr.co...157627166784504 be West Auckland as well?

West Auckland Station had a large signal box at the Goods shed end so probably not. There was a turnout at the Tindale/St. Helens end onto the old S&D formation. This may have been controlled by ground frame. Thing is the building in the background doesn’t match.

For certain it's an I'anson Ground frame that was supplied almost exclusively to the Central Division of the NER so that narrows it down a bit.

Wear Valley railway is a possibility.

Eastgate had a very similar arrangement.

See:

http://www.signalbox...ne/eastgate.php

There’s a few more folk aware of the photo now so hopefully by the weekend….

Once I’ve got something definite I’ll e mail you.

Cheers,

Porcy

Duncan,

Spring Gardens Level Crossing

Location is,

Spring Gardens Level Crossing and Yard.

You Were only about 3\4 of a mile to the east out when you suggested West Auckland.

Info coutesty of Duncan Wilcock who jogged my brain cells into action.

You have an e mail with a bit more info...

Porcy

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Guys,

You have very kindly helped with lots of my unidentified locations and shots some of which have been lovley to tie down. Now here is another selection for which I have no details

The first is a very unusual GW box, with an external and internal staircase. It came off the same reel as others that were at Swansea and Cardiff and was next to the halt shown in colour that is on an NCB line.

7136598293_073c955cf1_b.jpg

Thought to be in Scotland possibly GNOSR area? - a negative from the lens of AG Ellis

7163101596_f478f2e247_z.jpg

The train is a class 7 freight for the Western Region, one person has said they have got a photo of this train at Eastleigh and that it was an Up train to the Western. Now identified as Severn Tunnel Junction - many thanks to all who confirmed this and that the reporting number can be missleading

7227111584_644bafa7f4_z.jpg

Classic L&Y next but where is it

7271927784_c87f9d5cb1_z.jpg

The previous negs on this strip were in the Swansea area, this one has turned out to be on the NCB line from Pontartardulais to Graig Merthyr colliery- Many thanks on this one .

6990511976_183d0829d1_z.jpg

Someone suggested East Kent or KESR, both of which I think are eliminated (apart from Salehurst Halt after Junction Road, which i cant find a photo of)

6955185384_de3c02300b_z.jpg

Kilbagie was suggested for this, but that's on a curve. Alternative suggestion is that it is GWR

6955186244_ab7e598a19_z.jpg

Identified as Possilpark in Glasgow

6941769204_b200f446ea_z.jpg

In this one it looks like maybe a distillery siding and possibly a Church of Scotland church high above?

5654240304_38cf78abd3_z.jpg

Any help you can give would be appreciated

I'm struggling to get my head round the Warship photo.... at first glance the general lie of the land and those lighting towers in the background suggest Severn Tunnel Junction, but Warships were quite rare on the Welsh side of the tunnel itself unless a Bristol or Gloucester crew were on board. The headcode could be incorrect or from a previous working (quite a common occurence) so it's not necessarily of much help... second thought was Taunton Fairwater Yard but I don't think it ever had those lighting towers in the hydraulic era and the track layout doesn't quite fit.... the maroon livery on the Warship (a Swindon built Class 42) means it's in the September '65 to mid '71 time frame, most likely '67 onwards though judging by the weathering and general appearance

This one is bugging me!

I'm struggling to get my head round the Warship photo.... at first glance the general lie of the land and those lighting towers in the background suggest Severn Tunnel Junction, but Warships were quite rare on the Welsh side of the tunnel itself unless a Bristol or Gloucester crew were on board. The headcode could be incorrect or from a previous working (quite a common occurence) so it's not necessarily of much help... second thought was Taunton Fairwater Yard but I don't think it ever had those lighting towers in the hydraulic era and the track layout doesn't quite fit.... the maroon livery on the Warship (a Swindon built Class 42) means it's in the September '65 to mid '71 time frame, most likely '67 onwards though judging by the weathering and general appearance

This one is bugging me!

I'd go for STJ; on those occasions I visited the yard in the late 1960s, there were quite often a few Warships on the stabling point. They got further west as well, as Brian R has noted in the past; at least as far as Margam, and I'm fairly certain I saw one coming down the L&MMR one Sunday on a weedkiller train. They used to work passenger services via the North and West in the mid-1960s, so presumably Newport and Hereford crews signed them.

• RMweb Gold

This one is bugging me!

Severn Tunnel Jcn standing on No.1 Up Goods Loop opposite Severn Tunnel Jcn Middle signalbox. So unless it's arrived off the North & West (which I tend to doubt, but you never know) it is waiting to depart towards Gloucester or the Tunnel but I can't help with the date I'm afraid.

Severn Tunnel Jcn standing on No.1 Up Goods Loop opposite Severn Tunnel Jcn Middle signalbox. So unless it's arrived off the North & West (which I tend to doubt, but you never know) it is waiting to depart towards Gloucester or the Tunnel but I can't help with the date I'm afraid.

The church tower is visible behind the trees- I wonder what the marquee was for; STJ wasn't the sort of place for society weddings, so perhaps the local 'flower and produce' show? There are similarily-formed workings in some of the 'Heyday' series of albums; there was a daily STJ- Eastleigh-Bournemouth- Poole working booked for a Warship, with the northbound working carrying 7V06 headcodes.

I'd suggest the train is leaving; the Reception Sidings for the Bristol Yard were about two miles further west, near Rogiet.

• RMweb Premium

Could the fifth one down be on the NCB line from Pontartardulais to Graig Merthyr colliery? That line did operate a passenger service for miners at one time.

Otherwise, it reminds me of pictures I've seen of the MR Swansea Vale line, although I can't find one of the station that is exactly like that.

• RMweb Premium

Looking at No.8, the buildings in the background look like classic Glasgow tenements. In that area the Caledonian suburban lines were mostly built around the turn of the century and had rather stylish architecture, often with island platforms; the platform shelter in this picture does not fit that description, so I would guess it's more likely to be a North British line.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the suggestion no 8 is NB and on the buildings in the background, its certainly work looking at. I also agree that there are quite a few modellable buildings.

I have just found a photo of the place in in An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways by WAC Smith. It's Possilpark on the Cowlairs-Maryhill stretch. It says the tenements are in Barnes Road, but looking on Google Maps the area has been completely redeveloped.

The station closed to advertised services in 1917 but remained open for workmens' trains for the Singer works in Clydebank.

By the way, is there evidence that the previous picture is in Scotland? I'm sure I've seen Great Western stations of a similar design, although I admit the scenery looks like anything but Great Western country.

• RMweb Premium

I have just found a photo of the place in in An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways by WAC Smith. It's Possilpark on the Cowlairs-Maryhill stretch. It says the tenements are in Barnes Road, but looking on Google Maps the area has been completely redeveloped.

And I wonder whether the occasion might have been the Branch Line Society's Glasgow North Brakevan Tour on March 27th 1964 - see the releavnt entry at http://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/

• RMweb Premium

And I wonder whether the occasion might have been the Branch Line Society's Glasgow North Brakevan Tour on March 27th 1964 - see the releavnt entry at http://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/

Are the other Scottish photos on the same film? If so it might be worth noting that on the day after the said brakevan tour there began the the three-day Scottish Rambler No.3, whose itinerary is also on the Six Bells site.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy,

Many thanks for the reply and information , thats great another one ticked off.

There is nothing to say the previous one is in Scotland, I had based it on being by AG Ellis, who took alot in Scotland and many of the other negs from the same source are all identified. Great Western is interesting I had been led (maybe astray by the canopy) and had not found one NB station which fitted.

Sadly the Negs were won through about 10 auctions and all split up into individual lots of about 40 negatives so there is no contininuity in the negs

Thanks for your suggestions, any ideas on where on the GW it was you thought you saw something similar?

regards

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for your suggestions, any ideas on where on the GW it was you thought you saw something similar?

Possibly I was imagining it. I've gone through many of the most likely of my books and can't find anything. However there do seem to be certain similiarities with Culkerton on the Tetbury branch - this is the best picture I can find on the Web http://www.flickr.com/photos/midlandexplorerboy/6263354600/

• 2 weeks later...

I have recently purchased a number of colour slides, and initially thought they might be duplicates from one of the commercial slide companies (e.g. Colour-Rail), but there are no identifications or copyright printed on the slide mounts. The loco number is 45138 which was a Kingmoor engine for most of its life.

Presumably, therefore, this photo is of it on the S&C, but can anyone positively identify the location from the tunnel mouth and nearby distant signal post? Is it Blea Moor?

post-4474-0-32056400-1340705734.jpg

Archived