Leith Baltic Street

Andrew F

Glad this is on here at last!

I followed this layout for ages on NRM website. It always looked the part (never mind the historical accuracy etc). The overall mood captures the area really well and your techniques and build quality creates a real feeling for a time and place lost.

Post more photos please!

I followed this layout for ages on NRM website. It always looked the part (never mind the historical accuracy etc). The overall mood captures the area really well and your techniques and build quality creates a real feeling for a time and place lost.

Post more photos please!

I'll second all of that! I don't often visit the NRM website, but when I do, I always look at your layout topic. Glad you've decided to show it to a larger audience on here.

Wonderfully atmospheric, especially the station scenes. The other pics seem to me a bit rural for the setting, perhaps the backscene could show more of the city. All in all though a very nice layout. I'll be watching to see more pics.

J

Guest Max Stafford

This layout deserves to be celebrated as one of the 'Greats', Andy. There's no mistaking the architecture and even the backdrops convey a definite sense of place.

What really nails it for me is the uniformity of tone. Every single element blends perfectly with its companions in a way that suggests they have been together since you waved your wand and created the scene!

There's no doubt I'll be calling on your reserves of knowledge and technique when the process of creating Ruberslaw gets underway.

Thanks for sharing your creation with us!

Thanks for the nameplates too - Flamingo already with us!

Dave.

• Like 1

Andy, Leith Baltic Street is captivating, brooding, exuding a sense of place that transports me straight back to long-forgotten closes in the less salubrious quarters of Edin's burgh untrodden since childhood. It makes me want to pick up a Rebus novel, and that's praise indeed from this slacker. I remember vividly the 1978 layout that you mention, in the RM, and this immerses me in precisely the same sensations, but amplified.

I don't feel the need to study the trackplan and relate it to the photos, I'm just comforted that it's there as a trusted backstory to the palpable sense of mystery and discovery that always pervaded the furtive backstreets and middens of the capital. This is right up there for me, it sweats Edinburgh's seediness in counterpoint to its grandeur as the sixties lose their swing, and I commend you for it.

Gorgeous. drinks.gif

• RMweb Premium

Excellent work Andy. The characteristics of the buildings in that area are well captured and convey the sense of the hemmed in atmosphere prevailent there. Indeed on many visits down there I was always struck by how little sunshine managed to reach some parts of certain streets because of the height of the tenements and warehouses and the narrowness of some of the streets. You have fairly captured that typical "look" there.

When viewing it I automatically imagined the sights of ex-NBR locos working in the Leith docks area a decade or so earlier before the advent of the diesels in your photos. Looking forward to more updates of sunny Leith.

Wonderful- and about time it appeared here as well. As said, a classic, and I am sure it will be referred to and looked at with the same regard as the likes of Buckingham and other milestones of model railway layouts. Modelling like this is not seen every day, and deserves a wider audience than it has up to now. Keep posting images- I know there's more :nyam:

Hey up, where's the oxblood LGW cottages then?

Polite request to see a rake down below by the warehouse, ideal for such beasts, please ;)

Just been re-looking at these and the other pics that have surfaced before, and to say they are inspirational is an understatement Andy :drinks:

I followed this layout for ages on NRM website.

Any chance of a url for these photos on the NRM web site, please?

I spent many of my formative years in the 1970s exploring old Edinburgh Railways but I never came upon Leith Baltic St :rolleyes: but there were many like it - Leith North, North Leith, South Leith, lots of other Leiths, all full of this atmosphere which you have caught so well. There were lots of tiny goods yards, tucked away in cuttings and behind high stone walls - almost like one of Mr Freezer's "rabbit warren" layouts with lines poking out of hill sides everywhere.

Discovering this layout is a little like my first view of Dubbieside at a Kirkcaldy exhibition in the 70s - another example of a prototype unknown to English eyes, but done so well. There I could smell the sea: on Baltic Street, I bet you can smell the brewery?

Ian

Ahh Mr Fothergill, so good of you to bring your excellent layout to a wider audience, after teasing with pics in earlier posts. Its probably jumped straight into the top 10 of layouts on here and there is argubly the best british built layouts on the web here. I hope the pics and updates are going to be more regular. Excellent buildings Andy.

Guy

Andy, great to see you posting on RMW.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have had the honour and privilege of seeing this layout, and I can honestly say the real thing will strike you dumb!

I could wax lyrical about my visit and Andy's work - but think it best for Andy, and his pictures, to speak for themselves.

'Watch Topic' clicked :yes:

Discovering this layout is a little like my first view of Dubbieside at a Kirkcaldy exhibition in the 70s - another example of a prototype unknown to English eyes, but done so well.

That's an apt analogy I think :yes:

Any chance of a url for these photos on the NRM web site, please?

Start here - http://www.newrailwa...pic.php?t=13639 - there's 36 pages of it, with lots of pictures!

Recommended - I spent a good while perusing that when I first became aware of Andrew's work B)