Post a Bargain! (no discussions / questions) (was Bargain Hunters)

Very nice - I have seen a couple of threads now describing conversions of the Peppercorn A2 into Thompson A2's (i'm sure i've read about A2/1, /2 and /3 at some point). However, initially I was just thinking about the Thompson boiler applied to the Peppercorn A2 - if i'm correct, the only visible modification will be the dome. I had planned to convert a Bachmann Tudor Minstrell (as pictured above) after aquiring a Blue Peter. However, I was lacking confidence as i'd spent circa £100 originally and was convinced i'd make a hash of it. Also, I certainly can't claim to be an expert on LNER Pacific's, so I ended up chickening out and selling it on in the end, thinking Bachmann would modify it in the near future.

Either way though, I think Bachmann would be on to a winner with any of a number of possible modifications!

• RMweb Premium

Free delivery on orders over £10 at Crafty Computer Paper this weekend - great for decal/transfer sheets. Usual disclaimer - satisfied customer.

Enter CW21 at checkout.

Cheers,

Mick

Free delivery on orders over £10 at Crafty Computer Paper this weekend - great for decal/transfer sheets. Usual disclaimer - satisfied customer.

Enter CW21 at checkout.

Cheers,

Mick

I did wonder about this stuff. You obviously use it How do you do white lettering - how good is it - can you varnish over it – can you point me at a good review?

Regards

Here is an existing thread discussing the pros/cons of the paper:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/52950-computer-crafty-paper/

I work in OO. When you print out say, numbers, and apply them, you have to print a square around the numbers matching the body colour of whatever you are applying it to so that the colours will show up. You may also need to paint a white square in the mentioned area before applying the transfer for it to work (in particular, cabside numbers definetly need this). The only thing I dislike is that I would ideally like to eradicate as much of the covering square as I could. However, in 4mm, this is pretty much impossible as you would have to cut so close to the numbers you would risk cutting them - not to mention only applying white where the numbers are to be. It seems like you have to be content with there being a covering square in place over the bodyside - its not ideal, however it works nicely for older locos.

Also, I was under the impression that the paper is only expected to last a year before it no longer works? I used a piece around two and a half years after I bought it, and it seemed to work just fine, so not sure why this should be the case.

• RMweb Premium

I did wonder about this stuff. You obviously use it How do you do white lettering - how good is it - can you varnish over it – can you point me at a good review?

Regards

You can't do white on clear, but I leave that to the likes of Precision, Railtec and others.

If I need white print on a coloured background, then I print onto white paper.

Regarding varnish - deskjet printing needs varnishing to waterproof it and it makes it look a bit thicker. The latest transfers I did were on a laser printer - this doesn't need varnishing.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Tesco are doing their double up on vouchers again. Search for Clubcard boost.

So a Hornby 42xx at £119.99 can be had for £60 worth of Tesco vouchers. If you don't have £60 in vouchers, then you can double up what you've got and pay the rest of as usual.

Other stuff is available.

Usual disclaimer - satisfied customer only. I ordered a Railroad Tornado back in June and got it delivered FOC to my local Tesco Express for £37.50 in vouchers

Cheers,

Mick

Tesco are doing their double up on vouchers again. Search for Clubcard boost.

So a Hornby 42xx at £119.99 can be had for £60 worth of Tesco vouchers...................

Hello Mick,

Can you please tell me where this can be found on Tesco Website - all I can see are items from the  Railroad range.

Hello Mick,

Can you please tell me where this can be found on Tesco Website - all I can see are items from the  Railroad range.

Not obvious as not sold by Tesco but someone else via the Tesco Direct site, it's found here:

http://www.tesco.com/direct/Hornby-r3123-gwr-2-8-0t-class-4283-00-gauge-steam-locomotive/791-5261.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=791-5261

• RMweb Premium

Hello Mick,

Hi Andy,

I searched via Tesco/Tesco Direct/Toys/Hornby and then clicked the "most expensive first" as the search, that way it was most likely to highlight the locos!

Verityboo has posted the direct link in post#1177 as you've already seen.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

If anyone's looking for bulk styrene sheet, look at the bottom of this page http://www.dollhousesupplies.com/hobby-supplies/plastic-styrene-sheet-stripstock-1.html?p=2 Judging by the Evergreen code their bulk packs of 15 sheets, .015" is 2.79GBP instead of 41.69GBP It's in the States, but if that price is right it might be worth the shipping if you are after enough of it. I've ordered some, it'll be interesting to see if they meant to post that price. :)

• RMweb Gold

I popped in to 'It's a Gift' in Irthlingborough today.  There are other branches around Northamptonshire as well.  These stores sell end of line stock etc. 

Amongst the 'tat' were some quality looking resin buildings made by a company called 'Little Dart' for £4.99 that may be suitable for an N Gauge layout.  There is a website for Little Dart and these buildings usually sell around the £30.00 mark. The two buildings they had on sale were as follows:

Beatrix Potter's Cottage:

http://www.littledart.co.uk/acatalog/HILL_TOP_HOME_OF_BEATRIX_POTTER_.html

And for those who favour a bit of Will Power-Shakespeare's Birth Place:

http://www.littledart.co.uk/acatalog/SHAKESPEARE_S_BIRTHPLACE.html

Beatrix Potter's Cottage did look good and with a bit of tweaking would look good as a farm house.  

There were no 2mm William Shakespeare figures though! ;)

Cheers,

Mark

A "Hornby Hobbies" has opened up in the Swindon Outlet Centre (next door to Starbucks). It's all the wrong size for me, but they did have discounted stuff and I picked up 4 lots of Humbrol Acrylic for 1.10 a piece. Those of you from the 4mm Red Team may see more of interest.

• RMweb Gold

Hi all, for those of you who use timber frameworks for your baseboards and remember when 2”x1” actually meant 2”x1” I have an alternative for you currently at a very good price. 

http://www.wickes.co.uk/studwork-timber-38x63mmx24m/invt/107177/

This stuff is sold for creating stud walls, very strong and decent to work with. On offer at Wickes ( branches nationwide, no connection other than satisfied customer,  other DIY sheds are available etc.. etc..) If you buy 20 2.4 metre lengths it is £2 a length (£2.88 if you buy less)

The new ModelZone in WHSmiths, Cardiff Queen Street is open. I went in on Friday and got given a voucher for 20% off everything in the ModelZone bit - no exclusions on the voucher and the staff member confirmed it was off everything. Apparently the voucher can be used multiple times up until 8 December. (Or so I was told.)

...... it appears to be good stuff, well its straight for a start!!

And........ It seems to stay straight too.

Used it for some framing work whilst fitting out a narrowboat.

The oak I sourced for visible framing stayed anything but straight.

Not sure it wasn't actually banana wood.

• RMweb Gold

And unlike certain diy sheds I didnt have to sort through 3 lengths of damaged or unsuitable timber for every one I was willing to buy and didnt get sticky resin all over me either. Having worked with it at the weekend I can vouch for its quality

• RMweb Premium

Hornby is having a little sale. Some true bargains, a few others less so.

Also, free postage for orders over £30, which helps.

Have a look at:

http://www.Hornby.com/shop/sale/

Anyone wanting a Hornby 67 to repaint...

http://www.Hornby.com/shop/sale/r3183-arriva-trains-bo-bo-diesel-electric-class-67/

Cheers,

Mick

Hi all, for those of you who use timber frameworks for your baseboards and remember when 2”x1” actually meant 2”x1” I have an alternative for you currently at a very good price. 

http://www.wickes.co.uk/studwork-timber-38x63mmx24m/invt/107177/

This stuff is sold for creating stud walls, very strong and decent to work with. On offer at Wickes ( branches nationwide, no connection other than satisfied customer,  other DIY sheds are available etc.. etc..) If you buy 20 2.4 metre lengths it is £2 a length (£2.88 if you buy less)

I used this (albeit from Selco rather than Wickes) to build the frames to support my baseboard. It is nice and straight so easy to work with. There are a few pictures on page one of my layout thread.

Archived