Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

May be Jeff could take a big pic of KL send it to Rob,

Rob could then add the GRASS and send it back to Jeff,

Jeff would then post it on here,

And then we would ALL BE HAPPY. :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

Bodgit :sungum:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Eeeeeeeeeeee..... I wish it was that easy!

Just spent an hour applying PVA and ballast to a pair of turnouts. Awkward working position and very fiddly. Will vacuum excess off in a few hours and show the result.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

And then we would ALL BE HAPPY. [CUT SMILEYS]

And then send it back to Rob to have the locos and trains put on....save you having to go out and buy more, Jeff  :locomotive:  ....or investing in live steam....

:tomato: .... :tomato: Oh!  Wotchit - more ducking....

• RMweb Premium

This is how the two turnouts appeared about an hour ago....they are in there, somewhere!!

post-13778-0-76525400-1374760805_thumb.jpg

Vacuum up the excess ballast...

post-13778-0-30755200-1374760811_thumb.jpg

Remove the masking tape...

post-13778-0-46050800-1374760818_thumb.jpg

I cleaned the rails and spent about 20 minutes fiddling with the underneath sections of the point blades to remove snags. I have to be honest - the odd bit of ballast did lodge in the wrong place and prevented a full throw of the blades. However, application of finger and cleaner sorted that out!

Jeff

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Having got that task done, I now understand what Gordon S refers to, using this technique, of the turnouts appearing to "float on the ballast".

It's difficult to deep ballast anywhere near the switch blades. However, that doesn't stop the deep ballast effect being achieved elsewhere.... So I've added more PVA on top of the first lot (I've only done a bit so far, to see how it turns out):

post-13778-0-18755500-1374761029_thumb.jpg

Copious ballast application, pressed down with a finger:

post-13778-0-62710800-1374761036_thumb.jpg

Leave to dry. Results later!

Jeff

EDIT: The sleeper depth on Marcway turnouts is twice that of the SMP track. Hence the same technique on both results in the turnout ballast looking "shallow".

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

Jeff - please don't clean your check rails on the next turnout you weather...  unless of course you have really wide wheel treads!

Othwerside, looking very good.

Cheers

Scott

• RMweb Premium

Jeff - please don't clean your check rails on the next turnout you weather...  unless of course you have really wide wheel treads!

Othwerside, looking very good.

Cheers

Scott

Interesting - as I only cleaned the check rail top... the sides are crudded with grime and rust.

Is it the "done thing" to leave the check rail tops dirty? If so, I can soon fix that!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

It is Jeff, as the tops of check rails don't come into contact with wheel surfaces to give them the polished look of running rails.

Are you going to fill the hole for the actuating wire with anything? Gordon uses a good idea but this would have to have been put into action before the track went down.

• RMweb Premium

It is Jeff, as the tops of check rails don't come into contact with wheel surfaces to give them the polished look of running rails.

Are you going to fill the hole for the actuating wire with anything? Gordon uses a good idea but this would have to have been put into action before the track went down.

I've been a bit of a plonker with this. If you look back to post # 1098 you'll see that I fitted a "sheath" of plastikard around the hole, and then painted it black. I did this for the first ten or so turnouts and then forgot....

I'll rig-up something, if possible!

Thanks for confirming Scott's remark about the check rails. They will be filthed-up from now on!!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Plonker Jeff? Being a bit hard on yourself. To cheer you up I soldered up the sides of my latest coach, fitted all the grab handles, door bumpers, hinges and end gear and bits, gave it a coat of primer then realised I had not soldered the droplights into the doors!

It's a pity the Japanese stopped at trees really. Bonzai grass could have solved so many problems! :scratchhead:

Regards

Bill

• RMweb Gold

I've been a bit of a plonker with this. If you look back to post # 1098 you'll see that I fitted a "sheath" of plastikard around the hole, and then painted it black. I did this for the first ten or so turnouts and then forgot....

I'll rig-up something, if possible!

Thanks for confirming Scott's remark about the check rails. They will be filthed-up from now on!!

Jeff

Jeff,

Will there now be a rash of lineside huts, linesmen, wheeltapers & shunters in strategic places?

This is how the two turnouts appeared about an hour ago....they are in there, somewhere!!

attachicon.gif100_3761.JPG

Vacuum up the excess ballast...

attachicon.gif100_3762.JPG

Remove the masking tape...

attachicon.gif100_3763.JPG

I cleaned the rails and spent about 20 minutes fiddling with the underneath sections of the point blades to remove snags. I have to be honest - the odd bit of ballast did lodge in the wrong place and prevented a full throw of the blades. However, application of finger and cleaner sorted that out!

Jeff

Jeff, now you have put the frighteners on me. :O :o :O :o :O :o :O :o :O

• RMweb Premium

It's a pity the Japanese stopped at trees really. Bonzai grass could have solved so many problems! :scratchhead:

Regards

Bill

Agreed! I'd buy shares - the investment would be worth it if it allowed me to cover the Fell with minimal effort!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, now you have put the frighteners on me. :O :o :O :o :O :o :O :o :O

Don't worry Andy. You've hardly any turnouts on Bute Road. I've got 40, of which 25 are in the visible section and hence need ballasting. So let's guess an hour per turnout - only a day to do the lot!! Lol.

You probably have a whizzo method that will produce just as good results in ten minutes! Turnouts are fiddly bu**ers to ballast and the extra depth of the Marcway sleepers accentuates shallow ballasting.

Jeff

Interesting - as I only cleaned the check rail top... the sides are crudded with grime and rust.

Is it the "done thing" to leave the check rail tops dirty? If so, I can soon fix that!

Jeff

Just another of my barrows I push, Jeff :jester:

im_turnout-8.jpg

(I must have seen one too many layouts in MR/RM with shiny unpainted rail sides, or polished check rails.  As with 95% of modelling, the answer is always to look at the real thing and see what that looks like - just like you have done with your ballast/bridges/cuttings)

Having said that, I will be curious to see how the CMX affects my stockrails when I start cleaning regularly...

Cheers

Scott

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've been in the bunker for the last hour or so, completing the "top-up" on the pair of turnouts and adding a shoulder to a curved section of track.

Just to cheer Andy up, here's the chaos that's left overnight before vacuuming up tomorrow (and I hope it looks ok at the end!!):

post-13778-0-17561400-1374792430_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-78297500-1374792436_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 2

The cheque bounced.

• RMweb Premium

At risk of boring the pants off you, here's a pic of the ballasted viaduct (needs a bit of a top weathering) and the pair of turnouts after their second coating of ballast...

post-13778-0-88129000-1374818882_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-95445000-1374818889_thumb.jpg

Just having some breakfast then I'll be ballasting again.

Jeff

Edit: Scott - I've even dirtied the check rails again!

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 3