Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Now that's a proper Dub Dee. Don't forget to make the required clank-clonk noises when you run it Jeff! Looking forward to the viaduct pictures!

Bill

Yes Bill, it looks a tad more realistic than the shining black model I bought 3 weeks ago!

I know you liked 92233 in its weathered state - I just decided to get it grotted a bit further!!

Clank-clank-clank.... in the absence of a sound chip, I've been practising!!

Clank-clank-clank..... "they're coming to take me away, ha ha, hee hee....!!!!!"

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

WE WANT MORE PICS

WE WANT MORE PICS

WE WANT MORE PICS

GET THE MESSAGE

Bodgit

Sorry Andy....

Could you be a bit clearer, please?

Now - be precise - what do you want?!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

I keep hoping the end layout will be a good one. As long as it runs well, looks half-decent and gives pleasure to anyone that looks at it, that's good enough!

Jeff

Jeff, I am quite sure that everyone who visits this thread is already totally convinced that this layout will be far more than "half-decent", and it has already given pleasure to all who've seen it.

With the work you have already done, and your attention to detail, it cannot fail to be spectacular.

Jeff, we have had tales of Plaster, Timber Frame, Timber Tops, SMP, Marcway, Cobolt, Walls, Viaducts, Tunnel Mouths, Drain steps, Aquaducts, Cess, Ballast, it must be time for GRASS SOON I would have thought :no: .

Bodgit :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

To those of you waiting for GRASS, you'll have to wait until I'm fed up with ballasting. Then I'll be on the lookout for another (not quite so) tedious job - umm, it could be some more walling. In fact, it'll have to be - how can I contain the grass (and sheep) if there are no walls??!

The green stuff is getting closer - well, a small amount of it.....!!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Bill, is that another piece of your artwork in your avatar?

If it is, it's a remarkably lifelike representation - even though the avatar is only small on the screen.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Update: The entire viaduct has now received its second layer of main line ballast. The PVA on the last two sections to be done will be vacuumed off at midnight (I'm currently allowing 90 minutes for drying)...

So Andy, when you look on here in the morning, you may well find a photo of the WD and 9F waiting for you.

Now all I need are some dirty wagons. I've got weathered milk, oil and tarmac tankers - they'll have to do for now.

Jeff

• Like 1

Bill, is that another piece of your artwork in your avatar?

If it is, it's a remarkably lifelike representation - even though the avatar is only small on the screen.

Jeff

Hi Jeff

Sad to say it isn't. I only wish I was that good! I bought a box of old photo albums a few weeks back in Seattle and this young lady was in one of them. I fell in love with her "I'm bored and I'm gonna cause mischief" expression. (poor thing had probably had to sit still for about 5 minutes at that time given the camera's in use then!). It was faded so I took it into Photoshop and spent a couple of days restoring the colour tinting. I've some work to do on the resolution/image quality, etc then I'm having a large print made up to hang over the mantlepiece!

post-14791-0-23317100-1375143910_thumb.jpg

Regards

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

That close-up of the train emerging from the tunnel really shows the deeper ballast up well Jeff, I bet you're pleased with the results even if it does take a bit of time, it looks to be well worth it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That close-up of the train emerging from the tunnel really shows the deeper ballast up well Jeff, I bet you're pleased with the results even if it does take a bit of time, it looks to be well worth it.

Morning Jonathan. Yes, I'm very pleased with the results - and it seems I have a simple, reliable method that delivers consistent results, which is always pleasing!

My heart sank a bit when I was forced to apply a second coat in the cutting - then it sank even further when I realised how much better 2 coats looked - and I'd have to go over the 10 feet of track I'd already done. But it was worth it (still another 4 feet of previously ballasted stuff to do). Two coats puts the cess "in its place"!!

A bit of reading to do and then....some ballasting. I've always hated the task, but the load is lighter when it (appears to) works!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening Chip, I can see you are lurking!

I've just logged in for a quick check before going into the bunker. Hope the recent batch of pics meet with your approval!!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Lovely WD on viaduct, the ballast looks excellent to me Jeff.

On a completely different subject, how about you start buying models of locomotives which never ran on the S&C? Here is one to start with... shamelessly using a template of sorts which showed the A3 class and has in some way bee used for pics of various other engines. Today I think I'll play with it to make it more brooding and dark. Also, I have been busy, I bought another B17 and a HEAVILY weathered Jubilee from TMC yesterday.

The B17 below is meant to be on a stopping service in darkest East Anglia, one of those obscure train services in the mid-50s which rarely carried passengers and nobody knew quite why it was scheduled, but it still had to run. Brilliant Hornby model, though, main reason to do it!

post-7929-0-22882000-1375221939.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Jeff

You know me, always lurking in the background.

Love the "double" depth ballasting, well worth the extra effort in my opinion, but it's not me who's putting in that extra effort!!

I'm waiting for the walling to start again as I have a different style stile lined up for you!!??

I totally agree with Mr P (and others) that we can never have too many pics on here, please keep them coming.

Chip

• Like 2

HI Jeff that ballasting really does look good mate, well done again.

Bodgit

EDIT = It doesn't look like I will be doing any ballasting for a year or so with so much work to do now, (see Bute Road for details). I will ahve to content just looking on here for the next year.

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff

You know me, always lurking in the background.

Love the "double" depth ballasting, well worth the extra effort in my opinion, but it's not me who's putting in that extra effort!!

I'm waiting for the walling to start again as I have a different style stile lined up for you!!??

I totally agree with Mr P (and others) that we can never have too many pics on here, please keep them coming.

Chip

By the end of the week I'll be going nuts and dreaming of PVA and ballast!!

Please post any further walling info. I'll need a break and you can save me having to contemplate starting to put grass on the Fell!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Rob, I have a few LNER locos: A1, A2, 2 x B1, B17, K3 and 2 A4s on pre-order. Quite fancy a Castle for a 1960s railtour over the S&C!!

I have two medium weathered TMC Jubilees. I have to say that they do Heavy weathering extremely well!!

Jeff