Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Update: In the manner of Mark Williams' character from the 1990s comedy The Fast Show.... "I have been mostly ballasting today"....

The latest batch is having its 90 minute curing time.

Time to listen to some music!

Jeff

Update: In the manner of Mark Williams' character from the 1990s comedy The Fast Show.... "I have been mostly ballasting today"....

The latest batch is having its 90 minute curing time.

Time to listen to some music!

Jeff

Well Jeff, I hope there is NO RUSH involved, hahahaaa :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

Bodgit :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Well Jeff, I hope there is NO RUSH involved, hahahaaa :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

Bodgit :sungum:

Which reminds me.... I never did you those Rush CDs. I must get on the case!

I may post a couple of boring pics from the bunker at around midnight - another batch of track has been done.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As promised - 6 minutes late! - some more ballasting pics. Make of them what you will!!

post-13778-0-99088900-1375830270_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-49291300-1375830278_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-59089000-1375830301_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-34864600-1375830309_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-10597400-1375830315_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-73791600-1375830321_thumb.jpg

As I said earlier.... "Yesterday I have been mostly ballasting...!!"

Jeff

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

As promised, some photos of buffer stops.

Lanarkshire Models rail built L&Y buffer stop, next to a modified Peco one and an unmodified Peco with the erroneous clips on (that make it a swine to fit to anything but Code 100)

bufferstops005_zps3c7a5660.jpg

Rear view of Lanarkshire vs Peco

bufferstops006_zpsa6ec5729.jpg

How the Lanarkshire ones come

bufferstops003_zps99726b96.jpg

A couple of wooden buffer stops

bufferstops002_zps6713a1d1.jpg

And a side-on view

bufferstops001_zps53545241.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Looking STUNNING.

Rob

I am with Rob on this one mate.

Bodgit

Cheers lads!

I've done another 3 hours today - I'm within 2 feet of the other ballasted bit (that emerges from the cuttings)!!

It'll look better when I tone the ballast down with some grot. Looking forward to doing that!

Hell - I could almost consider building the platforms!!! OH DEAR!!!!!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Cheers lads!

I've done another 3 hours today - I'm within 2 feet of the other ballasted bit (that emerges from the cuttings)!!

It'll look better when I tone the ballast down with some grot. Looking forward to doing that!

Hell - I could almost consider building the platforms!!! OH DEAR!!!!!

Jeff

Woah, steady on!

Don't go doing anything rash, you've got 12 miles of walling and a hundred acres of fell to plant!

:)

Joking apart, the time might be ripe for you to move on to some building. I've found that, having done a fair bit of building recently, I'm now more interested in ballasting :O

I'm sure in a bit I'll return to doing the rest of the station etc, but at the moment I can't work up any enthusiasm for any more plasticard hacking.

You might find that a foray into structures keeps your interest up.

Of course, you do have the advantage at the moment of being able to play trains :senile: I don't currently have that option - but I will soon!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening Al.

Being able to play trains is a great boon. I started laying the track in mid October 2012 and the first loco ran in February 2013. Since then, if I get "bored", it's just a matter of running a few locos around - it works wonders for the enthusiasm!

After ballasting I need to do a bit of weathering. Then the priorities are finishing the cuttings, aqueducts and walling and - yes, a bit of the green stuff. Having said that, the open-frame structure for the platform bases shouldn't take long to build - I need to order some more 2mm and 3mm ply.

I'm waiting for the latest batch of PVA to dry, so by midnight the cleaner will be reclaiming loose ballast......

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

I hope you're not going to be having withdrawal symptoms after all this gravelly stuff Jeff. At the speed you're moving you'll be making Andrew P's progress look like continental drift. Still, you could put one of the 9F's to use on a ballast train, I suppose! :nono: :no:

Bill

• RMweb Premium

I hope you're not going to be having withdrawal symptoms after all this gravelly stuff Jeff. At the speed you're moving you'll be making Andrew P's progress look like continental drift. Still, you could put one of the 9F's to use on a ballast train, I suppose! :nono: :no:

Bill

Bill, the only way anyone will catch up with Andy is if he can't build layouts due to his house move. I think he'd manage a shunting layout even if he was laid-up in intensive care!!

As for the ballasting - well, it becomes routine after a while. It's nice to see progress. If only I could program a ballast train to do the work!

Btw, have you moved - or are you hiding from MI5..... you are now just "up north" and no longer on the far side of the moon!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Update: I've added-in (finally) the short spur that leads to the shunting loco shed (look back to page 36 for an approximate plan, if necessary) and another of the missing headshunts.

The PVA has had a while to dry so I'm off to do some more ballasting when I finish my cup of tea.

Nothing worth photographing - though I'll put some pics up when the ballasting is about completed. The goods yard sidings and cattle dock spur will go in after the goods shed and station buildings/platforms have been fitted - so quite a way off.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I'm pretty sure that KL wouldn't have a specific shunting loco Jeff; the loco working pick-up freights would do any shunting that was required. I assume it was a figure of speech ;)

• RMweb Premium

I'm pretty sure that KL wouldn't have a specific shunting loco Jeff; the loco working pick-up freights would do any shunting that was required. I assume it was a figure of speech ;)

You are quite right, Jason. However, I quite fancied an excuse to "park up" a 4F "on the premises" and the spur (no shed needed) was a convenient place to put it....while it's having a rest from branch line duties!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

You are quite right, Jason. However, I quite fancied an excuse to "park up" a 4F "on the premises" and the spur (no shed needed) was a convenient place to put it....while it's having a rest from branch line duties!

Jeff

Nothing wrong with having a shed for the branch engine (especially if it's a J21 which works 'over the top' by some interesting sort of route ;) ).

• RMweb Premium

The Hawes branch was NER I believe, with the MR having running rights as far as Hawes for occasional passenger and a daily trip freight. So, change the timelines around a bit and the J21 is a distinct possibility. Just a shame you couldn't add the Garsdale sheltered turntable in :D

• RMweb Premium

The Hawes branch was NER I believe, with the MR having running rights as far as Hawes for occasional passenger and a daily trip freight. So, change the timelines around a bit and the J21 is a distinct possibility. Just a shame you couldn't add the Garsdale sheltered turntable in :D

Garsdale to Hawes was Midland, Hawes eastwards was NER, Hawes station was a joint station.

I think NER had running rights to Garsdale, I don't think Midland had rights beyond Hawes.

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

Andy

I'm surprised that you aren't building a layout in one of the boxes :jester:  :jester: :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  

(New portable layout)

Duncan

For goodness sake, Duncan, DON'T give him ideas!!

Jeff

Andy

I'm surprised that you aren't building a layout in one of the boxes :jester:  :jester: :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

(New portable layout)

Duncan

Yes I have nothing to do between Midnight and 6 am, :no:  Oh yes sleep :O I remember now, :nono:

BoxSHI* :sungum: