Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

That backboard and the blocks already give an indication of the shape and size of the cutting .I was wondering where will you place the section when you need access but I assume you will remove that before ducking under rather than rising up from the corner with hill in hand.

At least now you have the chance to progress with that end.

Good stuff.

Jim

ps. I think Andy wants you to work at his pace and finish it. 

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Jim and Billy.

I've fitted some angled formers onto the section - PVAd in place, so until that dries I can't go ahead with the mod-roc topping.

You got it right first time, Jim. I can reach over and lift the corner bit out if I'm by myself. If someone else was there I'd go underneath and rise with it on my head! Either way, it sorts the corner out. Of course, there are a few other issues in that corner - embankments on both front and rear faces of the viaduct and some ground features to the rear of the viaduct. I can get decent access to deal with all of those in due course.

If Andy asks - tell him I've finished!! I've gone for the "neutral" backscene look!

Jeff

Thanks Jim and Billy.

I've fitted some angled formers onto the section - PVAd in place, so until that dries I can't go ahead with the mod-roc topping.

You got it right first time, Jim. I can reach over and lift the corner bit out if I'm by myself. If someone else was there I'd go underneath and rise with it on my head! Either way, it sorts the corner out. Of course, there are a few other issues in that corner - embankments on both front and rear faces of the viaduct and some ground features to the rear of the viaduct. I can get decent access to deal with all of those in due course.

If Andy asks - tell him I've finished!! I've gone for the "neutral" backscene look!

Jeff

If you glued a bowler hat underneath you could just go under and stand up with THE HAT AND SCENICS ON YOUR HEAD , do any jobs, and when finished just drop down again. :no:

What do you mean NO?

Me Hat Me Lune :sungum:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

Good progress there, it makes the corner look a lot better for having a limit on what you can see.  

Thanks Michael.

I'm pleased with the way it's fitted in. And it cost me nothing as I already had a few sheets of hardboard that were sitting doing nothing.

Still a LOT to do before the end of tomorrow - hope the glue sets quick enough!

I looked at a couple of S&C cuttings: the hill is banked at between 45 to 55 degrees. So that's what I'll aim to do. Keep watching and giving me feedback!

Btw, have you sorted out what you wanted to know about the 4MT?

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

A cold start in the bunker this morning with the temperature at 5C. Needless to say, the heater's on!

A fair bit of cutting, sticking and fixing to do today. Hope to make some sensible progress and show something worth looking at by late evening.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

Morning Jeff,

That corner seems to be coming on well. How are you going to manage the difference in thicknesses between the hardboard and the ply? In my post some time ago now, I did mean the road rising from left to right, but it looks as though you may go that way from some of the posts after mine. If I could draw or use Paint better I would show you what I mean, but I think you have ideas formulating now as to what you want it to be like.

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jeff,

That corner seems to be coming on well. How are you going to manage the difference in thicknesses between the hardboard and the ply? In my post some time ago now, I did mean the road rising from left to right, but it looks as though you may go that way from some of the posts after mine. If I could draw or use Paint better I would show you what I mean, but I think you have ideas formulating now as to what you want it to be like.

I will fit some softwood packing behind the edges of the hardboard as it meets the ply, in an attempt to keep them flush. The corner bit is removable, but I hope I don't have to take it out too often as it's a bit unwieldly - but worth doing as it sets the scene better.

Just off to get some masking tape, more screws and sandpaper.

Jeff

Morning all.

A cold start in the bunker this morning with the temperature at 5C. Needless to say, the heater's on!

A fair bit of cutting, sticking and fixing to do today. Hope to make some sensible progress and show something worth looking at by late evening.

Jeff

I'm sure it'll warm up nicely once you get going with the power tools Jeff - or did you do all that yesterday? 

I shall look forward to the "here's one I made earlier" post tonight...

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure it'll warm up nicely once you get going with the power tools Jeff - or did you do all that yesterday? 

I shall look forward to the "here's one I made earlier" post tonight...

Going well - at the moment.... temperature up to 12C and warm and snug with the jigsaw whirring along.

Yes, hope I can get a few new pics on here tonight - it'll probably be about 8pm.

Jeff

Hi Jeff, just stopped for a breather and a full read of the last TWO PAGES to re establish where we are at.

The corner will fit nicely and loose the often dead 90 degree, what shall I put there sybdrome. It looks as though it will now flow and will be hidden some what with some nice foliage.

I was particularly impressed with the way the blocks of wood hold the board nicely, so professional, I would have HOT GLUED a couple of bits of wood and then had a look to see if it worked. :nono:

Do you intend to stick a comercial backscene on there or just do a simple blue sky so as not to detract the eye away from the layout?

I am looking forward to tonights pics.

All the best Old Lune :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

Do you intend to stick a comercial backscene on there or just do a simple blue sky so as not to detract the eye away from the layout?

I am looking forward to tonights pics.

All the best Old Lune :sungum:

Have you got one of those fancy cameras that stitch together a number of photos of scenery? No idea how they work, mind. Looking forward to pics tonight after yet another meeting.

• RMweb Premium

Evening folks.

I came on here an hour or so ago to post some photos, but the system was down. Since then I've spent my time studying the "lay of the land" and have come to some dramatic conclusions. More of that later - as what I've decided is a direct consequence of what I'm about to show.

The corner access "hole" was a good idea, but created a vacuum in the scenery at a very important part of the layout. Post 4075 showed the progress made to the point of fitting a curved backscene board... So here's what I did today.

The wooden blocks that hold the backscene board were also intended to hold some "cutting formers":

post-13778-0-88301500-1360608339_thumb.jpg

The formers were covered in plaster bandage and a series of formers for the opposite side of the cut, and the start of the hillock were created. These are mounted on a board, so at the moment this side of the hillock can be removed:

post-13778-0-94257700-1360608491_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-89162300-1360608500_thumb.jpg

The new formers were plaster bandaged and both sides of the cut were then coated in plaster. Here it is at 4pm, glistening away:

post-13778-0-79271800-1360608620_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-30517600-1360608631_thumb.jpg

I've cut the wood ready to build the side of the hillock that extends towards the operating well. This next bit is 70cm long and I'll build it tomorrow.

The hillside on the curved part of the cut will be linked to an embankment on the far side of the viaduct and needs an extra bit at its right end.

The hillock will be linked to an embankment on the near side of the viaduct and down to the valley itself.

BOTH of these constructions will be done in the next week.

If you think about what I've done, there are consequences. Would you like to suggest any?

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

Great start Jeff, and it is coming on well, that corner will soon come together and you will be glad of all the had work you are putting at the moment mate. I think I can now visulise where you are going to with this and I am sure it will be good.

Catch up again later.

The Old Lune. :sungum:

Your umbrella will turn inside out? (at least, that was always the consequence when we played consequences as children...) :senile:

Seriously - have you now plastered the lift-out section in place?  Or is there scenery joints to be considered around it?

Ah, you can't get to the level that lets you take the wonderfully atmospheric train on a viaduct pictures! :nono:

Come on Jeff, you know Billy and I are right, :no:  BUT, not the 09 :nono: , GET THAT 9F RUNNING :senile:

Chuff Chuff Lune :sungum:

Andy

Have you noticed that Jeff's pulled a bit of fast one on us, a week ago we thought we had got him ready to run a loco on some of his straight sections in the fiddle yard. :locomotive:

Well he's gone off at a bit of a tangent or two, building up scenery covering it in plaster bandage & creating the Lunester Lounge area  :nono:

As made us all forget the loco run  :no:

• RMweb Premium

You've lost your embankment on the station side and I hate to say it but the profile of the hill on the inside doesn't do it for me at all because you'd have a viaduct coming out of a cutting, and it just looks like a lump. I say it's back to the drawing board and lower hills Jeff.

Sorry.

You've lost your embankment on the station side and I hate to say it but the profile of the hill on the inside doesn't do it for me at all because you'd have a viaduct coming out of a cutting, and it just looks like a lump. I say it's back to the drawing board and lower hills Jeff.

Sorry.

Got to agree with Jason there. Perhaps lining the cutting on the removable section with a retaining wall/rock face and with the hill in front much lower (as if the navvies have had to 'clip' the hill away to maintain alignment) and dropping gradually on the right-hand side towards the station would give a better 'flow'. Sorry to be a Grinch, I'm going to hide behind the settee now!

Regards

Bill

• RMweb Premium

Your umbrella will turn inside out? (at least, that was always the consequence when we played consequences as children...) :senile:

Seriously - have you now plastered the lift-out section in place?  Or is there scenery joints to be considered around it?

Ah, you can't get to the level that lets you take the wonderfully atmospheric train on a viaduct pictures! :nono:

Well done Michael. The lift-out ISN'T fixed in place, but it might as well be as it's very awkward to remove - especially so when the other bits are fitted around it.

So something else has to "give" and I've decided what that is...

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I did a drawing with contours and everything :(

I'm going to post it anyway, as I still think the orientation of the hill on the left seems a bit at right-angles to the valley. I've drawn on the contour lines and if you think of where the railway level is as opposed to the valley, it's at the 180 metre line (purely hypothetical figure there) and in my mind, it's quite likely that the valley sides would be pretty constant around the area of the viaduct, otherwise they would have surely changed the alignment to take advantage of the narrower part of the valley? Those hills on the right of Arten Gill; are you sure they aren't spoil as they look a bit odd?

backcorner_zps3b2a1e0d.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Yes, they appear to be spoil on all the photos that I've seen - links posted previously. But the spoil has been dumped at the "180" contour and upwards, at each end of the viaduct, with a cut going through.

That's what I'm trying to build. The cut has been smoothed as the railway passes through, but behind the cut - either side (but you only see one side - towards the station on mine) - there are spoil heaps. As I extend the hillock ("lump") I'll put some irregularity in, to mimic heaping, and lower the level down.

I see your point about the contouring, but do you see mine? I'm just building what I'm looking at in the photo - albeit a bit compressed.

Jeff

• Like 1