Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

I'm going to do some more work on the rest of the hillock in a few minutes - then I'll plaster the whole lot.

In the meantime, here's the valley contour:

post-13778-0-48999400-1360847914_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-68388100-1360847928_thumb.jpg

The mods to the 2x1 piece give more "drop" for the embankment. And Chris - I've moved the formers back a bit and trimmed them so more of the right viaduct pier is showing...

post-13778-0-22098400-1360847939_thumb.jpg

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Getting better all the time, well worth the effort,

Question, can you come down and build my next layout please?

hahhahhaa you know who :sungum:

I don't think you want or need me to build your next layout! It'd take forever and you produce your own masterpieces without me "mucking them up".

Coffee then back into the bunker for more power-tool play!!

Jeff

That is all looking much more "right", as though it would be done that way in real life, and not a "5 arch viaduct, curved, to be installed....here" ish.  I'm very impressed with how far along it has come over the last week or so, the hill form makes it look so much like the S&C rather than a sheet of plywood.

I'd take Ribblehead, it would fit in place of Long Marton with ~10 ft to spare, if my figuring is right.  (I know that LM is longer than it, but I'm just estimating based on the trailer here).  I did contemplate it, but wanted a station somewhere on the layout.

James

• RMweb Gold

Jeff

I don't want to put another spanner in the works, but, looking at photo 2, the drop to the river looks to be quite steep.

Please Master Lunester, no punishment please....... :punish:

Duncan

Given all I have said before about my lack of understanding in this, I would disagree.  It looks alright to me.

Jeff

I don't want to put another spanner in the works, but, looking at photo 2, the drop to the river looks to be quite steep.

Duncan

I think it looks too steep to be hillside, but about right for a spoil heap ;)

Looking good Jeff!

• RMweb Premium

You becareful of spoil heaps, they might slip and disrupte your services!

It's amazing how much better it is with that 2x1 gone. Worth the 5 minutes worth of work I reckon!

Andy g

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

Duncan

Duncan, I wonder if you've misinterpreted the photo. The river bed lies within the formers, not from the formers to the flat board below. Like this....

post-13778-0-98406600-1360858557_thumb.jpg

The formers are only an outline guide. Bearing in mind the "river" has now become more of a brook, the depth of riverbank probably won't exceed 2cm.

Apologies if I've wrongly guessed what you were thinking!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Since you all LOVE to see the "nitty-gritty", and Andy is desperate for an update, here is the latest:

The existing hillock has the cut at its far side. The hill on both sides of the cut represent the top of the hillside above the valley. The railway has sliced through on one side - the hillock needs to continue as it slopes down towards us - heading for the area of level ground where the Midland decided to build a station. Kirkby Kuneside.

Here are the ply formers to create the sloping hillock. YES, I know I could have done it in a tenth of the time using old newspapers, but that's not the way I do things! Both the far (mod-roc covered) and near (today's effort) parts of the hillock are built on top of ply bases so they can be moved out of the way at the moment. Eventually they'll be fixed down. The PVA is drying at the mo...

post-13778-0-65909100-1360859145_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-01084100-1360859156_thumb.jpg

To help with the drop from embankment to valley floor I've fixed and braced the "2 x 1" structure. It's fixed in place with its valley-river former joining at the bottom.

post-13778-0-41714600-1360859169_thumb.jpg

Mod-roc on the new section later and plaster on the old......

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The question on everyones lips is........

Did you manage to get any tracks up and running ahead of tomorrow's visit?

I didn't see your answer at first - and was about to post "Who shot JR?" (Ancient history to many on here... 1979/1980?).

No track connected yet - I'm going to clean some sections of the fiddle yard and solder-up the relevant droppers before Schubert (Al) arrives.

Btw, just bought a B17 in BR late-crest (the original from last week had a cracked cab roof!). What a beautiful runner - silky smooth right out of the box. May not be LMS or S&C, it may be Hornby - I prefer Bachmann - but what a superb model.

Jeff

The formers are only an outline guide. Bearing in mind the "river" has now become more of a brook, the depth of riverbank probably won't exceed 2cm.

Apologies if I've wrongly guessed what you were thinking!

Jeff

Jeff

I think it was a pure perspective view through tired eyes. For some reason it looked like the drop onto the bottom of the former was >2cm.

That hiilock looks great since it's surgery. Nicely done

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Hello Jeff,

I hope the acquisition of a B17 will not sway you away from creating a stud of locos that were typical of the S&C in the early/mid 1960s.

Peter

Hi Peter,

I already have:

4 x 9F / 1 x 8F / 3 x Brit / 2 x Black 5 / 1 x Crab / 1 x Jubilee / 1 x Patriot / 5 x 4MT (incl. 1 x 4MT tank) / 2 x 5MT with the upcoming 4F to add in.

Diesels:

3 x 45/46 / 1 x 40 / 1 x 37 relevant to the period - plus a green 8 and numerous 24/25s.

So branching off isn't a problem.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

Hi Jeff,

Coming together very nicely, don't get carried away and bury that multi-meter under a ton of mod-roc..... will you!

Now back to the Ribblehead viaduct, I could dismiss Dent and fit that in my den instead. But as usual its just too late as the new roof is now finished so will have to carry on.

Nice loco' collection you have there, common 9F's I have noted are 92058 and 92125 and both are suitably work stained, I will be renumbering mine to these and weathering accordingly.

I am currently designing a spiral - wish me luck!

Cheers

mike

• RMweb Premium

Now heres a little question: How many locos do you really need to run a model main line? Jeff has 21 steamers and for my (non-existant) layout I'm looking at about the same. The difference being that mine will be a single track main line (with a passing place in the station) with a branch, whereas Jeff is looking at a double track main line with branch. Mine would not have the traffic density of the S&C so am I going to be over stocked with locos or is Jeff cronically short of locos?

What is the average amount of locos that we 'need'?

Andy

Andy

That is one good question.

Surely it would depend on traffic density, era, area and how much of that area you were modelling. Another one for the pot, depends on if you want to run an accurate timetable.

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Tim Easter showed me how to make some relatively easy mods to the Hornby Black Fives to make them look a lot better, including sorting out the odd shelf on the tender chassis (incredibly simple to resolve) and I will be having a go at some point. He is writing an article for BRM on how he did it but when I have a go, I'll post up progress shots so you can tackle yours too Jeff. 

p.s. You need more Black 5's and 8F's :)

• Like 1

Now heres a little question: How many locos do you really need to run a model main line? Jeff has 21 steamers and for my (non-existant) layout I'm looking at about the same. The difference being that mine will be a single track main line (with a passing place in the station) with a branch, whereas Jeff is looking at a double track main line with branch. Mine would not have the traffic density of the S&C so am I going to be over stocked with locos or is Jeff cronically short of locos?

Andy

Locos required on your model railway (L)?

That'd be explained by the equation L = n +1, where n = the number of locos you already own.

Simples!

• Like 2